Default Damage Extensive for Crippled U.S. Littoral Ship in Singapore

Damage Extensive for Crippled U.S. Littoral Ship in Singapore
    Anthony Capaccio
    ACapaccio
    April 7, 2016 — 6:00 PM CDT

On Board Littoral: How to Build a Warship for $528M
    Navy's weapons buyer says service assessing damage to vessel
    Navy secretary praises ship's `terrific deployment' anyway

The USS Fort Worth, the third Littoral Combat Ship deployed by the U.S. Navy, suffered “extensive damage” during the botched maintenance procedure in January that’s left the crippled vessel sidelined in Singapore ever since, according to the service’s top weapons buyer.
    A Navy team has been examining the vessel built by Lockheed Martin Corp. since the January 12 incident, when gears that propel the ship were damaged, Assistant Navy Secretary Sean Stackley said in Washington. An investigation is continuing into the failure that’s thought to have been caused by crew error rather than a design flaw.
    “What they are finding is that the damage is pretty extensive,” with debris scattered through the primary propulsion system, Stackley told reporters after a congressional hearing on Wednesday, in the service’s most extensive comments on the issue. “We’re weighing the choice between repairing it in theater or repairing it at home.”
    While the Navy said last week that the damage to the Fort Worth led it to relieve the vessel’s commander of his post, Defense Secretary Ash Carter and Navy leaders haven’t mentioned the setback publicly or been asked about it. Instead, they have praised the program’s importance. The Fort Worth was on a 16-month deployment to Asia as proof of the Navy’s “rebalance” to the Pacific.
    ‘Terrific Deployment’
    The Fort Worth “has just had a terrific deployment to the Pacific,” Navy Secretary Ray Mabus said during a House Defense Appropriations subcommittee hearing on March 1, without noting that it’s been sitting immobile in port.
    Critics of the Littoral Combat Ship, made in two versions by Lockheed and Austal Ltd., have questioned whether the light vessel designed for shallow coastal waters could survive an attack. Carter and his predecessor, Chuck Hagel, have cited that concern and budget priorities in cutting back the planned fleet to 40 from an initial 52.
    USS Fort Worth anchored at Tanjung Priok port in Jakarta in 2014. Photographer: Bay Ismoyo/AFP via Getty Images
    USS Fort Worth anchored at Tanjung Priok port in Jakarta in 2014. Photographer: Bay Ismoyo/AFP via Getty Images
    The Fort Worth’s damage was to combining gears that let the ship run on a mix of diesel and gas turbine engines.
    Initial indications were that the damage “appears to be caused by a failure to follow established procedures during maintenance,” according to a Jan. 21 Navy memo. “During startup of the main propulsion diesel engines, lube oil was not supplied to the ship’s combining gears.”
    Now, Navy personnel must open up the damaged section and flush out its lubrication system “over a long period of time,” Stackley said. “It’s not going to be a quick flush.”
    After that, the service must determine “how extensive is the damage -- therefore how extensive is the repair?” Stackley, said.
    The Navy also needs to determine whether to repair the vessel in Singapore or in a U.S. port after coming home on its two undamaged gas turbine engines, Stackley said.
    “If the decision is to repair it back home, then we’ve got to get the ship in the condition to drive it back,” Stackley said. A heavy-left vessel could transport it, he said, “but you always want to come home on your own power.”
    Initial indications were that the damage “appears to be caused by a failure to follow established procedures during maintenance,” according to a Jan. 21 Navy memo. “During startup of the main propulsion diesel engines, lube oil was not supplied to the ship’s combining gears.”
    Now, Navy personnel must open up the damaged section and flush out its lubrication system “over a long period of time,” Stackley said. “It’s not going to be a quick flush.”
    After that, the service must determine “how extensive is the damage -- therefore how extensive is the repair?” Stackley, said.
    Human error... no way to eliminate it entirely as we all are human .....
    This mistake makes us look weak(or foolish) right when we surely do not need to look weak.
    New advanced weapon(projecting sea power) that suddenly is crippled by our own stupidity.. --Tyr
    Last edited by Tyr-Ziu Saxnot; 04-08-2016 at 05:17 AM.
    18 U.S. Code § 2381-Treason Whoever, owing allegiance to the United States, levies war against them or adheres to their enemies, giving them aid and comfort within the United States or elsewhere, is guilty of treason and shall suffer death, or shall be imprisoned not less than five years and fined under this title but not less than $10,000; and shall be incapable of holding any office under the United States.

2. Thanks NightTrain thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tyr-Ziu Saxnot View Post
    Human error... no way to eliminate it entirely as we all are human .....
    This mistake makes us look weak(or foolish) right when we surely do not need to look weak.
    New advanced weapon(projecting sea power) that suddenly is crippled by our own stupidity.. --Tyr
    Couldn't they find a better port to get stranded in? Singapore sucks. Crap, try Bali or Phuket.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

4. Thanks NightTrain, Tyr-Ziu Saxnot thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)

The Fort Worth “has just had a terrific deployment to the Pacific,” Navy Secretary Ray Mabus said during a House Defense Appropriations subcommittee hearing on March 1, without noting that it’s been sitting immobile in port.

It's been sitting in Singapore with a broken tranny, and it had a terrific deployment?

Something as simple as mandatory lubrication to crucial drive components should have automatic functions and alarms, especially on a brand new ship.
    Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

6. Thanks Tyr-Ziu Saxnot thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
    Couldn't they find a better port to get stranded in? Singapore sucks. Crap, try Bali or Phuket.

I've driven through a Phuket or two. Even a Phukthat.

8. Thanks Tyr-Ziu Saxnot thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NightTrain View Post
    [/I][/COLOR]It's been sitting in Singapore with a broken tranny, and it had a terrific deployment?

Something as simple as mandatory lubrication to crucial drive components should have automatic functions and alarms, especially on a brand new ship.
    Uh ... "terrific deployment"? Singapore is halfway to nowhere. Three weeks out of Dago and 2 weeks from the ME. And while they call that place the cleanest city in the world, it obviously doesn't apply to their water. That's one of the filthiest ports I remember. Not to mention it's expensive. Strand my a$$ in Bali. I can live like a king there on a few hundred bucks.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

10. Thanks Tyr-Ziu Saxnot, NightTrain, Kathianne thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)

I've driven through a Phuket or two. Even a Phukthat.
    lol, I thought that but dared not post it.
    As I have , "me sterling reputation to consider and all". ----Tyr
    18 U.S. Code § 2381-Treason Whoever, owing allegiance to the United States, levies war against them or adheres to their enemies, giving them aid and comfort within the United States or elsewhere, is guilty of treason and shall suffer death, or shall be imprisoned not less than five years and fined under this title but not less than $10,000; and shall be incapable of holding any office under the United States.

12. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)

When you're as pure as the driven snow, one must consider appearances!

14. Thanks Gunny, Tyr-Ziu Saxnot thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)

When you're as pure as the driven snow, one must consider appearances!
    Gag me with a freakin' spoon. Sterling reputations? You two? Crap, Jim'll be on here calling himself Saint Jim next.

16. Thanks NightTrain, Tyr-Ziu Saxnot thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
    Gag me with a freakin' spoon. Sterling reputations? You two? Crap, Jim'll be on here calling himself Saint Jim next.
    Crockpot Jim maybe??? --Tyr

18. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)

Crockpot Jim maybe??? --Tyr
    Yeah, if he thinks he's going to hear the end of THAT, he needs to think again.

20. Thanks Tyr-Ziu Saxnot thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

You know, the last time I was in Germany and saw a man standing above everybody else, we ended up disagreeing.

Captain America

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

You know, the last time I was in Germany and saw a man standing above everybody else, we ended up disagreeing.

Captain America

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Voted4Reagan View Post
    Those ships are fugly and there ain't no catwalk. ANY time you can get outside the skin of the ship is a GOOD time.