Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
    That makes perfect sense actually. I ain't diving in that freezing water looking for your dead ass.

Yeah, if you've ever watched The Deadliest Catch, you know that those pots weigh a lot and they'll hold up for a few hundred years down there in the murky depths.

And now that I've given our resident psychopaths ideas, beware of boat rides.
    Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NightTrain View Post
    Yeah, if you've ever watched The Deadliest Catch, you know that those pots weigh a lot and they'll hold up for a few hundred years down there in the murky depths.

And now that I've given our resident psychopaths ideas, beware of boat rides.
    I ain't too worried. Odds are I can swim better than any of you. And back in the day, a certain guy I used to know used to raid lobster traps. I know what they look like and how to get shot at for looking at them.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)

I ain't too worried. Odds are I can swim better than any of you. And back in the day, a certain guy I used to know used to raid lobster traps. I know what they look like and how to get shot at for looking at them.
    A Marine that can swim? Pffft!

Now raiding lobster pots... I'm generally against lawbreaking, but back in the day I knew a guy that would have helped your guy.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

A Marine that can swim? Pffft!

Now raiding lobster pots... I'm generally against lawbreaking, but back in the day I knew a guy that would have helped your guy.
    You're telling ME? No one bothered to mention to me Marines spend all their damned time on boats. I got more time in the water than you'll get in the next 40 years. I was lucky. As a kid, I lived at the base pool. Or in San Antonio, Medina Lake was my second home.

Weird thing about me is if I'm scared of something I WILL confront it. Used to be terrified of heights. Now do think I was going to puss out in front of a bunch of alpha males in a helicopter? That'll be the f-ing day. I was traumatized by my father about swimming so I mastered the sh*t. He was one of those old-school, throw you in the water types. Naturally, I STILL was not good enough.

Yeah, and I hear ya on the lobster pots but when you got the munchies ......
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)

You're telling ME? No one bothered to mention to me Marines spend all their damned time on boats. I got more time in the water than you'll get in the next 40 years. I was lucky. As a kid, I lived at the base pool. Or in San Antonio, Medina Lake was my second home.

Weird thing about me is if I'm scared of something I WILL confront it. Used to be terrified of heights. Now do think I was going to puss out in front of a bunch of alpha males in a helicopter? That'll be the f-ing day. I was traumatized by my father about swimming so I mastered the sh*t. He was one of those old-school, throw you in the water types. Naturally, I STILL was not good enough.

Yeah, and I hear ya on the lobster pots but when you got the munchies ......
    Just screwing with you. I was a lifeguard in highschool, and the only male I knew that could vertically float indefinitely... I like swimming, but rarely do so anymore. I think the last time I did, I was launching myself out of the water as a snowmachine sank to the bottom behind me. Adrenaline Scissor Kick for the WIN! I probably generated a respectable rooster tail coming out of the water onto the ice on that one.

Weird thing about heights - I love flying, especially in helos, but ask me to climb a tower and I'll decline. I have faith in the wonderful machines, but not so much with the 3-point climb. I was probably a goon for the Clintons in a past life that mysteriously fell off a building.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

Just screwing with you. I was a lifeguard in highschool, and the only male I knew that could vertically float indefinitely... I like swimming, but rarely do so anymore. I think the last time I did, I was launching myself out of the water as a snowmachine sank to the bottom behind me. Adrenaline Scissor Kick for the WIN! I probably generated a respectable rooster tail coming out of the water onto the ice on that one.

Weird thing about heights - I love flying, especially in helos, but ask me to climb a tower and I'll decline. I have faith in the wonderful machines, but not so much with the 3-point climb. I was probably a goon for the Clintons in a past life that mysteriously fell off a building.
    I know you were. Two types of helo pilots, those that HAVE crashed, and those that WILL. Why you'd feel more safe on that than a solid structure beats me, Einstein. That thing drops power and at least under my circumstances. you're going swimming.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)

I know you were. Two types of helo pilots, those that HAVE crashed, and those that WILL. Why you'd feel more safe on that than a solid structure beats me, Einstein. That thing drops power and at least under my circumstances. you're going swimming.
    Autorotate, baby! And all the commercial helos we fly in have those inflatable floats on the skids for the dreaded water 'landing'. I asked our pilot once how fast the helo would turtle with those floats, and he snapped his fingers. 'Nuff said, but you can at least climb up onto the belly and wait for the next helo.

There's no need for me to climb... we hire those guys. I get to stand on the ground and point at the antenna that's giving us problems and my laptop tells me when he gets it fixed. That's a win-win all the way around!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

Autorotate, baby! And all the commercial helos we fly in have those inflatable floats on the skids for the dreaded water 'landing'. I asked our pilot once how fast the helo would turtle with those floats, and he snapped his fingers. 'Nuff said, but you can at least climb up onto the belly and wait for the next helo.

There's no need for me to climb... we hire those guys. I get to stand on the ground and point at the antenna that's giving us problems and my laptop tells me when he gets it fixed. That's a win-win all the way around!
    CH-46 Sea Knight. The difference between it and the Army's CH-47 Chinook is ours have pontoons. They'll float for about 10 minutes. That gives you enough time to dump your gear and get the f- out. I never got on one without at least 3 blades. The seatbelts always jammed. I was cutting my way out.

Other thing you have to worry about when it hits the drink is people panicking. You just hold your breath until all the idiots get done kicking everyone else in the head and then make your way out. Orientation is the other problem. Most people swim the wrong way. If the bird's upside down, down is up. The escape hatch doesn't change places. The way you swim when you get out DOES.