Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Default Iwo Jima

From The Associated Press 2 May 2016:
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    The Marine Corps says it has begun investigating whether it mistakenly identified one of the men shown raising the U.S. flag at Iwo Jima in one of the iconic images of World War II after two amateur history buffs began raising questions about the picture. The Marines announced its inquiry more than a year after Eric Krelle, of Omaha, Nebraska, and Stephen Foley, of Wexford, Ireland, began raising doubts about the identity of one man.

...After some confusion, the Marines identified the men as John Bradley, Rene Gagnon, Ira Hayes, Harlon Block, Michael Strank and Franklin Sousley. All were Marines except Bradley, who was a Navy corpsman. Block, Strank and Sousley were killed in fighting at Iwo Jima before the photo was distributed in the U.S.

...After examining the famous photo along with other pictures taken that day of the men, they concluded that the man identified as Bradley was actually Harold Henry Schultz, a private first class from Detroit. Schultz died in 1995.

article

2. Thanks Tyr-Ziu Saxnot thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    373 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by indago View Post
    From The Associated Press 2 May 2016:
    The Marine Corps says it has begun investigating whether it mistakenly identified one of the men shown raising the U.S. flag at Iwo Jima in one of the iconic images of World War II after two amateur history buffs began raising questions about the picture. The Marines announced its inquiry more than a year after Eric Krelle, of Omaha, Nebraska, and Stephen Foley, of Wexford, Ireland, began raising doubts about the identity of one man.

...After some confusion, the Marines identified the men as John Bradley, Rene Gagnon, Ira Hayes, Harlon Block, Michael Strank and Franklin Sousley. All were Marines except Bradley, who was a Navy corpsman. Block, Strank and Sousley were killed in fighting at Iwo Jima before the photo was distributed in the U.S.

...After examining the famous photo along with other pictures taken that day of the men, they concluded that the man identified as Bradley was actually Harold Henry Schultz, a private first class from Detroit. Schultz died in 1995.

article
    This is stupid. You goofballs have too much time on your hands. His name is simple. United States Marine. Private, PFC, Lance Corporal. Who the f*ck cares?

And which flag raising are we speaking of? The original was with a storm flag carried by a Marine in his shirt. The Joe Rosenthal version was a parade flag raised later. Either way, it doesn't matter. ANY Marine on Iwo Jima that would skyline himself to plant our colors in a hot combat zone is getting covering fire from me. And not to be left out, there was a squid in there too.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

4. Thanks CSM, Bilgerat, jimnyc, Black Diamond, LongTermGuy thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Journalist Michael Schmidt wrote for The New York Times 3 May 2016:
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ...the man who wrote the best-selling book, which chronicled how his father and five Marines came together to lift the flag in the famous photograph, has raised new doubts about the image, saying that he now believes his father is not actually in it. The author, James Bradley, revealed his conclusion in an interview on Tuesday... He said that his father, John, a Navy corpsman, had participated in raising a flag on Iwo Jima on Feb. 23, 1945, but had not taken part in another flag-raising the same day, which became the famous photograph.

His father, he said, probably thought that the first flag-raising was the one that was captured in the famous picture taken by Joe Rosenthal, a photographer for The Associated Press. Mr. Bradley’s doubts tell a story about the fog of war, the efforts of a son to memorialize his father and the apparent willingness of the Marines to at first brush aside questions about one of their most historic moments.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

article

6. Thanks Tyr-Ziu Saxnot thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)

Journalist Michael Schmidt wrote for The New York Times 3 May 2016:
    ...the man who wrote the best-selling book, which chronicled how his father and five Marines came together to lift the flag in the famous photograph, has raised new doubts about the image, saying that he now believes his father is not actually in it. The author, James Bradley, revealed his conclusion in an interview on Tuesday... He said that his father, John, a Navy corpsman, had participated in raising a flag on Iwo Jima on Feb. 23, 1945, but had not taken part in another flag-raising the same day, which became the famous photograph.

His father, he said, probably thought that the first flag-raising was the one that was captured in the famous picture taken by Joe Rosenthal, a photographer for The Associated Press. Mr. Bradley’s doubts tell a story about the fog of war, the efforts of a son to memorialize his father and the apparent willingness of the Marines to at first brush aside questions about one of their most historic moments.

article
    Every man that fought on that hellhole was a hero!!
    The japs fought as bitterly there as anywhere they ever fought.
    Marines showed their true colors there--honor, bravery and supreme sacrifice for country..
    Famous photo error or not, nothing can diminish what all those men did in such a bitterly contested battle..
    Want to read -to see bravery watch , read about and study IWO JIMA, MANY OTHER EXAMPLES OF AMERICAN BRAVERY UNDER FIRE EXIST but none are better IMHO. -TYR
    18 U.S. Code § 2381-Treason Whoever, owing allegiance to the United States, levies war against them or adheres to their enemies, giving them aid and comfort within the United States or elsewhere, is guilty of treason and shall suffer death, or shall be imprisoned not less than five years and fined under this title but not less than $10,000; and shall be incapable of holding any office under the United States.

8. Thanks LongTermGuy thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    373 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tyr-Ziu Saxnot View Post
    Every man that fought on that hellhole was a hero!!
    The japs fought as bitterly there as anywhere they ever fought.
    Marines showed their true colors there--honor, bravery and supreme sacrifice for country..
    Famous photo error or not, nothing can diminish what all those men did in such a bitterly contested battle..
    Want to read -to see bravery watch , read about and study IWO JIMA, MANY OTHER EXAMPLES OF AMERICAN BRAVERY UNDER FIRE EXIST but none are better IMHO. -TYR
    I don't even know why this is an issue. Why are these attention seekers always trying to rewrite the past to shine the light on themselves? Geez. I'd have been scared sh*tless to get off a gator onto that island. There's just nowhere to go there. The Japs had a habit of letting us land, THEN nailing us where there was no cover. There is NO cover on Iwo Jima. And that island, as well as Okinawa, is honeycombed with caves. It's like playing Whacka-a-Mole with bullets. They'd pop up and shoot your ass.

As previously stated, it doesn't matter who raised the flag. And we Marines LIKE our Docs (Navy Corpsmen). They go where we go.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

10. Thanks Tyr-Ziu Saxnot, LongTermGuy thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
    As previously stated, it doesn't matter who raised the flag.
    It matters to the historians...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    373 Post(s)

It shouldn't. My name is Marine. Gunnery Sergeant. Doing my duty is relevant. My name matters only to my family. And don't give me that "historian" crap. They've falsified more history than Carter has little liver pills. This is an attention whore making something out of nothing. Kinda like this thread.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)

I don't even know why this is an issue. Why are these attention seekers always trying to rewrite the past to shine the light on themselves? Geez. I'd have been scared sh*tless to get off a gator onto that island. There's just nowhere to go there. The Japs had a habit of letting us land, THEN nailing us where there was no cover. There is NO cover on Iwo Jima. And that island, as well as Okinawa, is honeycombed with caves. It's like playing Whacka-a-Mole with bullets. They'd pop up and shoot your ass.

As previously stated, it doesn't matter who raised the flag. And we Marines LIKE our Docs (Navy Corpsmen). They go where we go.
    As previously stated, it doesn't matter who raised the flag. And we Marines LIKE our Docs (Navy Corpsmen).
    Thats "corpse man", you spelled it wrong--just ask the genius obama on that.
    And the leftist/dem media lies about at worms intelligence level with abandon.
    I'd bet anybody a 20 spot that the ffing bastard barely has average IQ...
    Hell, I was smarter than him when I was 12 years old.. 57 states my ass-what a genius!! -Tyr
    18 U.S. Code § 2381-Treason Whoever, owing allegiance to the United States, levies war against them or adheres to their enemies, giving them aid and comfort within the United States or elsewhere, is guilty of treason and shall suffer death, or shall be imprisoned not less than five years and fined under this title but not less than $10,000; and shall be incapable of holding any office under the United States.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

It shouldn't. My name is Marine. Gunnery Sergeant. Doing my duty is relevant. My name matters only to my family. And don't give me that "historian" crap. They've falsified more history than Carter has little liver pills. This is an attention whore making something out of nothing. Kinda like this thread.
    We know you're not interested in facts, just BullShit: YOUR BullShit...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    373 Post(s)

We know you're not interested in facts, just BullShit: YOUR BullShit...
    That what you think, loser? How much sea time do you have on your IDR? Bet you haven't deployed out of mommy's basement. I don't care about this bullshit. The only reason I know Ira Hayes name is because they made a movie about him. The rest are named Marines. That's what we call ourselves you dipshit.

Marines come and go but the Corps lives on. You're stupid as a fucking stick. Why don't you run your lame ass down to the recruiter and sign your punk ass up? You can find out what it's all about.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Ol' Huff'nPuff has cacaphoniously cackled: "That what you think... (and other and sundry aberrations, ramifications, fixations, lamentations, hallucinations, and incantations)"

You are, no doubt, basing your incoherent rambling rant on the preposterous premise that I actually give a shit what you think.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    373 Post(s)

Ol' Huff'nPuff has cacaphoniously cackled: "That what you think... (and other and sundry aberrations, ramifications, fixations, lamentations, hallucinations, and incantations)"

You are, no doubt, basing your incoherent rambling rant on the preposterous premise that I actually give a shit what you think.
    My so-called "rambling rant" is based on I was there. Where were you? I KNOW what being a jarhead is. You just read crap on the internet and think you're an expert. I'd have broke you down so fast you'd have thought you were a breech loading shotgun. I earned my fucking title the hard way. I don't sit around here pretending to be anything else like you who thinks you know everything about everything.

You have NO idea what's like to be a Marine. Don't profane the name with your dirty lips unless you get your ass out there and earn it. I can call ANY military person on this board anything I like, and they do likewise back. We EARNED that right. You haven't earned the right to do shit but mouth off on the internet from mommy's basement. That screen in front of your face doesn't make you our equal on our playing field.

The landing on Iwo Jima was 80 years ago. And every one of those swinging d*cks is a hero in my book. We don't know each other by name except Marine and Sailor. Uniform and rank. Four jarheads and a squid raised the flag. THAT is their name. That is by no means being stupid. It's the real world.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Sure it does. The same so-called, false historians who are writing their own versions of History by using Wikipedia....where the Liberal Mindless, Gutless, and Dumbest congregate to welcome the indago wannabe human clones of ignorance.
    I love to make Liberals Cry, and Whine.
    So, this is for them.
    GOD BLESS AMERICA - IN GOD WE TRUST !

19. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    373 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by aboutime View Post
    Sure it does. The same so-called, false historians who are writing their own versions of History by using Wikipedia....where the Liberal Mindless, Gutless, and Dumbest congregate to welcome the indago wannabe human clones of ignorance.
    He doesn't know sh*t. Being at sea for months. Looking over the fantail every night at the phosphorous the screws churn up. But he knows more than we do. He couldn't hang.

21. Thanks aboutime thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)