Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Default First dinner with InstantPot

I made corned beef, cabbage and potatoes last night. It called for carrots too, but since I was the chef in charge, they were accidentally forgotten. What a piece of cake to make. I wasn't thrilled with the cabbage/potatoes, but that's because I never am. But they came out great. Now the meat, I took it out and placed it on the cutting board. I couldn't help myself and carved a small piece. OMG, SO tender and tasty!! I put a small pile of mustard on the board and accidentally ate my dinner before the woman even got home from work!!

This is the corned beef before and after. It took like 15 minutes to get the pot up to maximum pressure, and then it cooked for 90 minutes.

And then this is the before and after of the cabbage and veggies. I only made a small portion as the dinner was really only for 2 of us.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Excellent! So it was a wise purchase? You'd recommend it?

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

3. Thanks jimnyc thanked this post
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

Love it, Jim. Very cool.
    “… the greatest detractor from high performance is fear: fear that you are not prepared, fear that you are in over your head, fear that you are not worthy, and ultimately, fear of failure. If you can eliminate that fear—not through arrogance or just wishing difficulties away, but through hard work and preparation—you will put yourself in an incredibly powerful position to take on the challenges you face" - Pete Carroll.

5. Thanks jimnyc, Kathianne thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kathianne View Post
    Excellent! So it was a wise purchase? You'd recommend it?
    Absolutely. The taste and tenderness was as if it was in a pot for 4-5 hours, so you save immense time and don't lose anything. I didn't have to use multiple dishes/pots. The cleaning of the pot took like less than 1 minute. It did take me awhile to get the sucker going, as I don't like to read directions much, but that's just me.

Making a stew tomorrow, and still want to be successful in making sauce and meatballs and see how it tastes (without breaking it)!

7. Thanks Kathianne thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)

So it's a little pressure cooker, then? I've never seen one that small, but they're pretty handy.

What's up with 'forgetting' the carrots? Those are the best morsels in a recipe like that!
    Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

9. Thanks Kathianne thanked this post
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NightTrain View Post
    I've never seen one that small, but they're pretty handy.
    Funny story - I've heard that same line from fourteen women in the last three months
    “… the greatest detractor from high performance is fear: fear that you are not prepared, fear that you are in over your head, fear that you are not worthy, and ultimately, fear of failure. If you can eliminate that fear—not through arrogance or just wishing difficulties away, but through hard work and preparation—you will put yourself in an incredibly powerful position to take on the challenges you face" - Pete Carroll.

11. Thanks NightTrain, CSM, indago, Kathianne, jimnyc and 2 others thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dmp View Post
    Funny story - I've heard that same line from fourteen women in the last three months
    You're so bad!

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NightTrain View Post
    So it's a little pressure cooker, then? I've never seen one that small, but they're pretty handy.

What's up with 'forgetting' the carrots? Those are the best morsels in a recipe like that!
    6 qt, which isn't that small. You can get a monster one, 12 qt, but not electric. Here's an electric one, but it's not spoken of as highly as the instapot. It gets pricey for those really big ones, not to mention they're impractical for a family of even 4 or 5, not too mention smaller.

14. Thanks NightTrain thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Get a crock pot... Safer

You might otherwise end up on the pressure cooker watch list....

Last edited by Voted4Reagan; 04-22-2016 at 02:38 PM.
    You know, the last time I was in Germany and saw a man standing above everybody else, we ended up disagreeing.

Captain America

16. Thanks jimnyc thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

Poor Jim. So sad, really. Reduced to posting pics of his dinner.

Now I'm freakin' hungry.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

18. Thanks crin63 thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

http://instantpot.com/benefits/safety-features/

In the past, most pressure cooker disasters could usually be attributed to user error. Instant Pot was carefully designed to eliminate and avoid most of the potential problems. Instant Pot is made by the No.1 electric pressure cooker manufacturer with over 10 million units already in household use worldwide. Instant Pot products are certified by UL/ULC providing unprecedented peace of mind in safety.
    InstantPot’s pressure sensor mechanism
    The stove-top pressure cookers use the weight of pressure regulator on the lid to limit the cooking pressure. Instant Pot’s patented pressure senor technology regulates the pressure in the inner pot in a much more precise and automatic fashion. When pressure builds up in the inner pot, the Flat Flexible Board (see diagram on right) shifts downwards to trigger the pressure sensor. Conversely, when the pressure is lightened, the Flat Flexible Board moves upwards and again triggers the pressure sensor.
    Pressure control mechanism in the base
    The pressure sensor controls the power of the heating element to maintain the pressure within a preset range. The photo of the actual pressure sensor is shown on the left.
    This technology revolutionized the safety of pressure cooking. Apart from this unique innovation, Instant Pot has 10 level of safety protections.

1. Lid Close Detection

If the lid is missing or not closed properly, Instant Pot will not activate pressurized cooking. Only the keep-warm and sauté (in applicable models only) functions work with the lid being open.
    2. Leaky Lid Protection

In the case that the cooker lid has leakage (e.g. the steam release not closed properly, the sealing ring being missing), the cooker will not reach preset pressure level. Allowing this to continue would risk burning the food. Instant Pot detects this by measuring the pre-heating time. If the pre-heating is unusually long, the programming will be switched to Keep-warm to avoid burning the food.
    3. Lid Lock under Pressure

If the cooker is still pressurize, the lid will be locked to prevent accidental opening.
    Anti-jam shield prevents jamming of the steam release
    4. Anti-blockage Vent

During cooking, food particles could jam the steam release vent. Instant Pot has specially structured vent shield (see picture on right) to prevent jamming the steam release.
    Thermostat under the inner pot
    5. Automatic Temperature Control

The thermostat under the inner pot regulates the temperature of the inner pot to be within a safe range, based on the type of food being cooked.
    6. High Temperature Warning

If the cooker is operating without water or moisture, pressure will not be built up in the pot. Over heating become the most likely outcome. Excessive temperature may also build up due to situations such as, missing inner pot, inner pot not in proper contact with heating element, or inner pot having heat dissipation problem (e.g. burnt starch at the bottom of the inner pot blocking heat dissipation). Under such conditions, Instant Pot will stop heating when the temperature is over a certain limit.
    7. Extreme Temperature & Power Protection

Instant Pot is equipped with a special fuse which disconnects power at excessively high temperature, i.e. 169°C ~ 172°C or 336°F ~ 341.6°F, and extremely high electrical current. A extremely high electrical current drawn by the cooker indicates an unsafe situation.
    8. Automatic Pressure Control

The patented pressure sensor mechanism (shown in diagram at the top) keeps the operating pressure between 70kPa-80kPa, or 10.12psi ~ 11.6 psi.
    9. Pressure Regulator Protection

If the pressure exceeds 105kPa (15.23 psi), the steam release (comparable to the pressure regulator in stove-top pressure cookers) will be pushed up to allow the steam being released to bring down the pressure inside the pot.
    Over-pressure leaking mechanism between the lid and inner pot
    10. Excess Pressure Protection

If the pressure becomes too high and pressure regulator protection malfunctioned, Instant Pot’s internal protection mechanism will activate, shifting the inner pot downwards to create a gap between the lid and the inner pot. Steam will be released from the gap into the internal chamber and heating stopped.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

BBQ in the back yard. Pound charcoal and some lighter fluid and I'm good. I don't like gadgets. They take too long to clean. I can clean the grill in a couple of minutes.

But to each his own. The GF has every goofy cooking gadget I think that's ever been invented. I hate washing them damned things. Civilians are S-O-O-O inefficient. Try eating out of your canteen cup. After you shave out of it, then make your coffee in it. In the end, I have just a canteen cup to wash.

Besides, I'm just at Jim. He'd feel all neglected and butt hurt if I didn't give him some crap about something.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

21. Thanks crin63 thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
    Poor Jim. So sad, really. Reduced to posting pics of his dinner.

Now I'm freakin' hungry.
    I had that same conversation with the wife once. I mentioned the assholes on facebook who post every single meal they eat, even snacks, drinks...

I can't believe I'm finding joy in appliances. What has happened to me?

Friday today though, pizza night!

23. Thanks Kathianne, crin63, Gunny thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    I had that same conversation with the wife once. I mentioned the assholes on facebook who post every single meal they eat, even snacks, drinks...

I can't believe I'm finding joy in appliances. What has happened to me?

Friday today though, pizza night!
    I have a recipe for that too! Trust me, you'd think you went to heaven!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kathianne View Post
    I have a recipe for that too! Trust me, you'd think you went to heaven!
    Gotta be too much work!! Can't possibly be easier than dialing 7 numbers and getting some great local pizza.

But I can never get enough pizza. You should post your recipe or how you make it. I'm sure I can find a way to stuff even more into my face and belly.

26. Thanks crin63, Gunny thanked this post