View Poll Results: Does Post-Whoring bother you?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • Post-Whoring is GREAT! I LOVE it when one guy Post-Whores the entire Board!

1 6.67%
  • Seriously - get a life. Post-Whore is dumb. Stupid to see EVERYTHING I can find on drudge

14 93.33%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Post Whores

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CockySOB View Post
    Post-whoring is just as bad as the freaking automated posting from RSS feeds that some sites use (not here though).
    I've done that in the past, but I kept the bot to one specific forum, and also restricted the posts from that particular forum from showing up when a user clicks "new posts". Won't do it again though!
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    Personally, I've never used the ignore feature before, but then again, they would show up anyway as staff cannot put members on ignore.
    Sure we can - I had gabby on ignore for about 2 months earlier this year. Was blissful. Users, however, cannot ignore staff.
    “… the greatest detractor from high performance is fear: fear that you are not prepared, fear that you are in over your head, fear that you are not worthy, and ultimately, fear of failure. If you can eliminate that fear—not through arrogance or just wishing difficulties away, but through hard work and preparation—you will put yourself in an incredibly powerful position to take on the challenges you face" - Pete Carroll.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dmp View Post
    Sure we can - I had gabby on ignore for about 2 months earlier this year. Was blissful. Users, however, cannot ignore staff.
    Ok, allow me to rephrase. Staff "shouldn't" be putting members on ignore, as then they have no way of properly moderating said user.
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

Ok, allow me to rephrase. Staff "shouldn't" be putting members on ignore, as then they have no way of properly moderating said user.
    I'd wait and see what she said in quotes from others' replies, figuring if she said something completely horrible, others would quote it.
    “… the greatest detractor from high performance is fear: fear that you are not prepared, fear that you are in over your head, fear that you are not worthy, and ultimately, fear of failure. If you can eliminate that fear—not through arrogance or just wishing difficulties away, but through hard work and preparation—you will put yourself in an incredibly powerful position to take on the challenges you face" - Pete Carroll.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I searched thoroughly for a mod that does what you state but came up empty. Personally, I've never used the ignore feature before, but then again, they would show up anyway as staff cannot put members on ignore.

I'm not sure of a good resolution to this issue. I fully understand members wanting to make it easier to get to the posts they are truly interested in, but I'm also afraid of entering the zone of "censorship" by asking ANY member to not post. Can you imagine the backlash if this was one of our liberal members? They already think I'm biased!

And how do we determine what is considered to be a "whore" post? We all post stories from time to time, and we all reply with just a smiley or one word from time to time. Now, some posters obviously do this much more frequently, but how do you determine which is and which isn't? And how would this be applied equally?

FWIW - I'm not defending or condoning anyone, nor am I taking sides. I'm looking for input to find a resolution and end the bickering.

Nobody considers a couple posts of emoticons, or 1-2 words post whoring.. I'd *think* everyone would be in agreement that 125 out of 178 would be post whoring...*Especially* if you're bumping a 4-month dead thread to say "Why?" or "I agree." or or ...

It's not like putting said person on ignore is an option, either, since said person posts most of the threads that are started, and anybody has has said person on ignore would see nothing. That's not very practical, either.

A post limit is wrong, so how about inventing a garbage filter?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by shattered View Post
    Nobody considers a couple posts of emoticons, or 1-2 words post whoring.. I'd *think* everyone would be in agreement that 125 out of 178 would be post whoring...*Especially* if you're bumping a 4-month dead thread to say "Why?" or "I agree." or or ...

It's not like putting said person on ignore is an option, either, since said person posts most of the threads that are started, and anybody has has said person on ignore would see nothing. That's not very practical, either.

A post limit is wrong, so how about inventing a garbage filter?
    I agree with your points, which is what makes this difficult.

When I first started USMB, for many, many months I would post articles. Someone has to be the one to get the ball rolling and get subjects on the board. But, I went out of my way to ensure the articles were unique, weird, controversial and hopefully of interest to the other members.

You all know me quite well by now. I don't want to alienate any members by restricting what they can post. At the same time, I certainly don't want to alienate any members that are having difficulty using the board because of what they consider "whore" posts. I'm not sure I have an answer, or a solution. But I'll keep this thread alive and hopefully ideas will be brought forth to where we can come up with something.

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

Maybe we make posts in certain forums NOT count for one's total post count?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Hah. My post count wouldn't ever increase, since I mostly play in the lower half of the board.
    Last edited by shattered; 07-20-2007 at 09:59 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Free the West Memphis 3.... http://www.wm3.org

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

But then it would apply to everyone...

And would do nothing to prevent others from seeing said posts. Keep in mind, many are assuming that the reason others post so much is to increase their post count. What if the posts are made out of boredom, or by someone who truly thinks they are trying to get conversation started?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dan View Post

WHORE!

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

And would do nothing to prevent others from seeing said posts. Keep in mind, many are assuming that the reason others post so much is to increase their post count. What if the posts are made out of boredom, or by someone who truly thinks they are trying to get conversation started?
    Of course - I'm on a car forum where nothing in the lounge counts towards the total post count. The board hasn't disintegrated!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Wait, what's the big deal about peoples post count. I hardly ever notice mine. Seems strange someone would post just to see that little number beside their name go up.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

WHORE!
    Free the West Memphis 3.... http://www.wm3.org

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Jimmy, you are missing the point, its not only about increasing post count because if someone had a massive post count but the posts were QUALITY posts and not "rah rah" or "emoticon" garbage then this discussion doesn't take place.......but the posts are not quality and are mostly garbage, I think everyone agrees on that. I mean do we need to know about every fucking kid who smokes another kid or some mom who took her kid to an ass whipping, for chrissakes! We have to wade through his bullshit and its a chore.

Don't even get me started on dredging up dead threads either!