Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)

Default The Marines Are Running Out of Airplanes

The Marines Are Running Out of Airplanes

The U.S. Marine Corps has got an air force problem. Its current fleet of fighter jets, purchased from the 1980s to the mid-1990s, are in poor repair. And a new fleet of of vertical-launching F-35 stealth fighters that the Marines have been waiting years to put into action are coming on-line too slowly to keep up flying units’ strength.

The slow-motion collapse of the combat squadrons could, in some future conflict, expose Marine infantry on the ground to enemy air attack—something that hasn’t happened in generations.

The Marines’ air fleet isn’t small, at least on paper. It consists of 276 F/A-18 Hornet fighters, more than two-thirds of the Marines’ combat-capable jets. But on April 20, Lt. Gen. Jon Davis, the Marines’ deputy commandant for aviation, told the Senate that just 87 of those Hornets were flightworthy—a mere 32 percent.

More at link
    18 U.S. Code § 2381-Treason Whoever, owing allegiance to the United States, levies war against them or adheres to their enemies, giving them aid and comfort within the United States or elsewhere, is guilty of treason and shall suffer death, or shall be imprisoned not less than five years and fined under this title but not less than $10,000; and shall be incapable of holding any office under the United States.

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tyr-Ziu Saxnot View Post

The slow-motion collapse of the combat squadrons could, in some future conflict, expose Marine infantry on the ground to enemy air attack—something that hasn’t happened in generations.

That comment isn't sound. First reason: Marines have air-defense capabilities and deploy under umbrellas of coverage, if not from within, then from sister services. Also, the Marine Harriers are largely for ground support and target busting - not so much air-air engagements. Unless air support was ready from an alternate source the marines on the ground wouldn't be there in the first place. Air force and Navy has plenty of CAS-type missions and would likely cover-down on the marine operations.
    “… the greatest detractor from high performance is fear: fear that you are not prepared, fear that you are in over your head, fear that you are not worthy, and ultimately, fear of failure. If you can eliminate that fear—not through arrogance or just wishing difficulties away, but through hard work and preparation—you will put yourself in an incredibly powerful position to take on the challenges you face" - Pete Carroll.

3. Thanks Tyr-Ziu Saxnot, aboutime, logroller thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)

The U.S. Marine Corps has got an air force problem. Its current fleet of fighter jets, purchased from the 1980s to the mid-1990s, are in poor repair. And a new fleet of of vertical-launching F-35 stealth fighters that the Marines have been waiting years to put into action are coming on-line too slowly to keep up flying units’ strength.

The Marines’ air fleet isn’t small, at least on paper. It consists of 276 F/A-18 Hornet fighters, more than two-thirds of the Marines’ combat-capable jets. But on April 20, Lt. Gen. Jon Davis, the Marines’ deputy commandant for aviation, told the Senate that just 87 of those Hornets were flightworthy—a mere 32 percent.

More at link
    We've always been running out of EVERYTHING. We'd take a VMA on float and if 6 of the 12 planes worked we were in good shape. The Corps prides itself on keeping the dead alive. My last deployment I was flying on 46's made around the time I was born. It struck me when I got in the Walking Dead's (1st Bn 9th Mar) bird. They were in Nam.

The way it works technically is the Navy gets a budget. They take what they want and the Corps gets whatever the Navy decides to toss us as allowance. And I'm not griping. Just explaining. 32% is unacceptable. I've never seen it THAT low. We ARE still at war. Geez.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

have no fear big ears is bringing Nam era planes back into service and some of that was WW2 vintage

6. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

More at link

Tyr. Please take this old sailor's word for this, but...none of this is NEW. Shortages in everything occur almost daily in every service. This cry shortages TAKES PLACE EVERY FISCAL QUARTER, and at the end of each FISCAL YEAR. Not saying the Generals, and Admirals are lying, but it's the nature of the beast in the Pentagon. Unless the forces from each service claim shortages, and lack of new repair parts for existing equipment....the NEXT FISCAL budget may be cut back by the politicians. ITS JUST THE WAY THINGS HAVE ALWAYS WORKED.

I know, and have no reason to lie about this. I had to submit quarterly requests for supplies...EVEN onboard ships I was stationed on. It's a game of UNLESS YOU ASK FOR MORE, you end up with LESS, OR NOT ENOUGH.
    HONEST INJUN!
    I love to make Liberals Cry, and Whine.
    So, this is for them.
    GOD BLESS AMERICA - IN GOD WE TRUST !

8. Thanks Gunny, CSM thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Not enough planes???? The Marines I've had the pleasure of knowing are quite lethal without aircraft. I think it could be a matter of cost/benefit.
    Because, bang for the buck-- what's a Marine cost to make...couple hundred grand? What's an aircraft cost: $70- $100 million?
    I'd take a battalion of Marines in zodiacs over one osprey.
    He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.AeschylusRead more at http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/qu...zeMUwcpY1Io.99

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by logroller View Post
    Not enough planes???? The Marines I've had the pleasure of knowing are quite lethal without aircraft. I think it could be a matter of cost/benefit.
    Because, bang for the buck-- what's a Marine cost to make...couple hundred grand? What's an aircraft cost: $70- $100 million?
    I'd take a battalion of Marines in zodiacs over one osprey.
    We are a team. The Navy and Marines, and us ground pounders like our close air support. When I call in a coordinate to the ship I expect some sky jockey to drop lead right where I say. And even though I grew up in the Air Force and I trust them to do THEIR job, I wouldn't want them doing CAS unless it's a broken arrow. I'll take my jarheads and squids air jocks. They at least won't bomb us.

AT's post is absolutely correct. We were always underfunded and undermanned. They'd rob parts off the birds that didn't work to get a couple of good ones in the air. It was horrendous under Clinton. I can't even imagine what it's like under this Idiot in Chief. He could screw up boiling water.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke