Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Default Antique Rifle

From The Associated Press 14 May 2016:
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    An 1886 Winchester rifle that once belonged to a man who helped capture Apache leader Geronimo has sold for $1.2 million at an auction. ...George Albee was working for Winchester and was able to secure serial No. 1 of their newest rifle design in 1886. He presented the rifle as a gift to a Civil War buddy, U.S. Army Capt. Henry Ware Lawton, who had just led the operation that captured Geronimo.

article

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by indago View Post
    From The Associated Press 14 May 2016:
    An 1886 Winchester rifle that once belonged to a man who helped capture Apache leader Geronimo has sold for $1.2 million at an auction. ...George Albee was working for Winchester and was able to secure serial No. 1 of their newest rifle design in 1886. He presented the rifle as a gift to a Civil War buddy, U.S. Army Capt. Henry Ware Lawton, who had just led the operation that captured Geronimo.

article
    If it was bought by an American will be a damn shame if hildabeast wins, for that gun will be confiscated.-Tyr
    18 U.S. Code § 2381-Treason Whoever, owing allegiance to the United States, levies war against them or adheres to their enemies, giving them aid and comfort within the United States or elsewhere, is guilty of treason and shall suffer death, or shall be imprisoned not less than five years and fined under this title but not less than $10,000; and shall be incapable of holding any office under the United States.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Reminds me of the story of the rifle found in Great Basin National Park...

Martin Griffith wrote for The Associated Press 17 January 2015:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Researchers are trying to crack the mystery surrounding the discovery of a weathered, rusted Winchester rifle in the mountains of remote eastern Nevada. The gun manufactured in 1882 was found leaning against a juniper tree on a rocky outcrop in Great Basin National Park during an archaeological survey in November. Nichole Andler, the park's chief of interpretation, said officials may never know when the .44-40 rifle was placed there, but it's possible it could have been left undisturbed since the 1800s.

article

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by indago View Post
    Reminds me of the story of the rifle found in Great Basin National Park...

Martin Griffith wrote for The Associated Press 17 January 2015:
    Researchers are trying to crack the mystery surrounding the discovery of a weathered, rusted Winchester rifle in the mountains of remote eastern Nevada. The gun manufactured in 1882 was found leaning against a juniper tree on a rocky outcrop in Great Basin National Park during an archaeological survey in November. Nichole Andler, the park's chief of interpretation, said officials may never know when the .44-40 rifle was placed there, but it's possible it could have been left undisturbed since the 1800s.

article
    I remember reading that story.

To 'possibly' get some history or background on the individual rifle that old,
    they would have to contact the Cody Museum in Wyoming, asking the serial
    number to be traced.

I have a Marlin Lever Action model 1883 that is so old that the manufacturer
    referred me to Cody to get more information on it.
    I have lost my mind. If found, please give it a snack and return it?

"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same of others"...John Wayne in "The Shootist"

A Deplorable!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

From DailyMail 21 January 2015:
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    The .44-40 calibre Winchester rifle was found frozen in time on a remote rocky outcrop in the heart of the Grand Basin National Park. ...Now they are poring over old newspaper cuttings and historical texts to try and identify its original owner, while forensic experts are taking what clues they can from the gun itself to try and understand how it came to rest against the tree. Experts do not yet know for certain how long it had been there, but with its wooden base discoloured and partially buried and the metal barrel rusted, it is possible the rifle could have been undisturbed for more than a century.

...Experts are scouring local archives in a bid to piece together the history of the weapon, which was found unloaded in November.
    -----------------------------------------------------------

article

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Ashley Hlebinsky wrote for Outdoor Life 29 June 2015:
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The Winchester Model 1873 Lever Action Rifle found in Great Basin National Park last year; the Union Metallic Cartridge Company .44 WCF Cartridge found inside it, dated between 1887-1911. ...Additionally, the lifter is missing; we speculate the firearm may have been used as a single shot.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

article