Quote Originally Posted by NightTrain View Post
Yeah, I have a 20 hp outboard prop kicker that I haven't mounted on my boat yet... it's good to have a Plan B for when something happens to the main and you're floating down towards a nasty set of sweepers! There's no way you can paddle these boats in the fast moving rivers we play in. I need to do that soon.

I've towed quite a few boats over the years that lost power on the river & lakes with no problem. I'm guessing you're wondering about the effect of the rooster tail from the jet hitting the other vessel? That doesn't become a factor until you're getting up on step and then it erupts over the surface, but all the towing I've done was at slow speeds.

If you did want to tow at hydroplaning speeds, you'd just give enough line for the other boat to be far enough behind so the rooster wasn't washing against the towed vessel's hull.

I've been reading about big Navy ships using jets instead of props in the last few years... I wonder if that's the future of water propulsion.
Well....I've towed literally hundreds and you have to determine the hull speed of the one being towed, allow enough tow line out
for catenary, and keep a watch on the tow. If you grab that tow line and it feels warm or vibrating, let more line out. I'd never use
polypropylene as a tow line! It is too brittle. Three-strand or double braid nylon are better, with the DB being the best.

Best place to tow one from is the trailering eyebolt, provided it has a secure backing plate.