Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Default Oberlin students want to abolish midterms and any grades below C

Pretty soon they will be asking to simply get their degrees fresh out of HS. Why go through all that horrible and scarring times of being in class actually learning and earning your grade, when they can be treated in a manner they truly deserve, and get their degree and get right to working for $60 million per year.

A conversation, and demand nothing lower than a C? Are these idiots for real?
    -----

Students at Oberlin College are asking the school to put academics on the back burner so they can better turn their attention to activism. More than 1,300 students at the Midwestern liberal arts college have now signed a petition asking that the college get rid of any grade below a C for the semester, and some students are requesting alternatives to the standard written midterm examination, such as a conversation with a professor in lieu of an essay.

The students say that between their activism work and their heavy course load, finding success within the usual grading parameters is increasingly difficult. "A lot of us worked alongside community members in Cleveland who were protesting," Megan Bautista, a co-liaison in Oberlin's student government, said, referring to the protests surrounding the shooting death of 12-year-old Tamir Rice by a police officer in 2014. "But we needed to organize on campus as well — it wasn't sustainable to keep driving 40 minutes away. A lot of us started suffering academically."

http://theweek.com/speedreads/626361...grades-below-c

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Oberlin students want to abolish midterms

Drop out.

and any grades below C

Study harder.

Anything else?
    "The social contract exists so that everyone doesn’t have to squat in the dust holding a spear to protect his woman and his meat all day every day. It does not exist so that the government can take your spear, your meat, and your woman because it knows better what to do with them." - Instapundit.com

3. Thanks Elessar thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post

The students say that between their activism work and their heavy course load, finding success within the usual grading parameters is increasingly difficult."
    Who is she trying to kid? When I was in college, we did SERIOUS activism. A 40-minute drive? We drove HOURS to places. And then came back.
    And guess what? Most of us graduated with honors. I had six years of A's and B's.

If that is what passes for "activism" these days, I am glad that I am no longer involved.

5. Thanks Elessar thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)

Ah yes...

The "Everyone gets a trophy, we're entitled to things we didn't earn" generation is blossoming into adulthood...

These are the people who will be in control of this country when we are all old...

I repeat...

These are the people who will be in control of this country when we are all old!!
    Last edited by hjmick; 05-25-2016 at 04:15 PM.
    "I am allergic to piety, it makes me break out in rash judgements." - Penn Jillette
    "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with a lot of pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
    "The man who invented the telescope found out more about heaven than the closed eyes of prayer ever discovered." - Robert G. Ingersoll

7. Thanks Kathianne, Elessar thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gabosaurus View Post
    Who is she trying to kid? When I was in college, we did SERIOUS activism. A 40-minute drive? We drove HOURS to places. And then came back.
    And guess what? Most of us graduated with honors. I had six years of A's and B's.
    And look how ignorant and blind you turned out to be.
    "The social contract exists so that everyone doesn’t have to squat in the dust holding a spear to protect his woman and his meat all day every day. It does not exist so that the government can take your spear, your meat, and your woman because it knows better what to do with them." - Instapundit.com

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
    And look how ignorant and blind you turned out to be.

That'll leave a mark...
    "I am allergic to piety, it makes me break out in rash judgements." - Penn Jillette
    "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with a lot of pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
    "The man who invented the telescope found out more about heaven than the closed eyes of prayer ever discovered." - Robert G. Ingersoll

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gabosaurus View Post

If that is what passes for "activism" these days, I am glad that I am no longer involved.
    ".... in the snow, uphill....both ways....."
    I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

I must be silly. I thought the purpose of college / university was to get and education,
    not spend your time in protests.

Sit down and have a one-on-one with the instructor? Stupid! Like a staff member
    has that much available to to conduct individual sessions.

Eliminate grades below "C"...Bullshit. Earn it crybabies.

A degree is not a "Participation Trophy" or ribbon.
    I have lost my mind. If found, please give it a snack and return it?

"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same of others"...John Wayne in "The Shootist"

A Deplorable!

12. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Elessar View Post
    I must be silly. I thought the purpose of college / university was to get and education,
    not spend your time in protests.

Sit down and have a one-on-one with the instructor? Stupid! Like a staff member
    has that much available to to conduct individual sessions.

Eliminate grades below "C"...Bullshit. Earn it crybabies.

A degree is not a "Participation Trophy" or ribbon.

I don't really care if the students want to become social justice warriors, but it seems to me that their parents should care about their grades. Funny thing is that I did most of my 'protesting' by writing both in school and to newspapers, magazines, and politicians. Not much happens just walking with signs. What happens when rioting instead of just carrying signs can be career killers.

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

14. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    371 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kathianne View Post
    I don't really care if the students want to become social justice warriors, but it seems to me that their parents should care about their grades. Funny thing is that I did most of my 'protesting' by writing both in school and to newspapers, magazines, and politicians. Not much happens just walking with signs. What happens when rioting instead of just carrying signs can be career killers.
    Why do these people think they don't have to earn anything anymore?
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
    Why do these people think they don't have to earn anything anymore?
    I haven't a clue. I wonder why they aren't doing some positive things in their communities if they have all that time, instead of 'protesting' every damn thing.

The whole issue of being set off by words and then throwing rocks and rioting is a bit confusing.

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

17. Thanks Gunny thanked this post