Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)

Default Being A Gunny

So I go get me a burger and sit down next to a squid and we start talking. Just shooting the breeze. He was a radioman. At the end of the convo when I finally got my order he says "You're a Gunny, right?" I'm like am I THAT obvious?
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

2. Thanks CSM, Kathianne, Abbey Marie thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
    So I go get me a burger and sit down next to a squid and we start talking. Just shooting the breeze. He was a radioman. At the end of the convo when I finally got my order he says "You're a Gunny, right?" I'm like am I THAT obvious?
    it's the smell....
    I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

4. Thanks Gunny, Kathianne thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CSM View Post
    it's the smell....
    Unlike most, I've always love talking to older people. My great grandmother was my favorite. She was born in 1892. My grandparents wouldn't let her do jack. I was always like leave her alone. I used to threaten to take her dancing.

They know more about how things were at the time than we do. This guy got out in 66. But he had some good sea stories. I thought he was absolutely cool. I just asked if I could sit there waiting on my order. He had a ship's cap on and I have on a 3rd MarDiv cap. We just started talking.

I was just surprised he figured out my rank. Need to quit using gun oil as after shave.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

6. Thanks Kathianne, CSM, crin63 thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

I was a squid. and a radioman. are you the one i threw overboard??

8. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

There is, mostly speaking, something about the BEARING of senior enlisteds! I worked
    with or around enough E-6 through E-9 from every branch to be able to spot one rather quickly.
    Last edited by Elessar; 05-27-2016 at 04:56 PM.
    I have lost my mind. If found, please give it a snack and return it?

"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same of others"...John Wayne in "The Shootist"

A Deplorable!

10. Thanks Kathianne, Gunny, CSM thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by namvet View Post
    I was a squid. and a radioman. are you the one i threw overboard??
    You freakin' wish you could lift as much as I weigh.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Elessar View Post
    There is, mostly speaking, something about the BEARING of senior enlisteds! I worked
    with or around enough E-6 through E-9 from every branch to be able to spot one rather quickly.
    Yeah, there is that too. Vets can usually spot another vet ... hat or no hat...
    I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

13. Thanks Kathianne, Gunny thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Unlike most, I've always love talking to older people. My great grandmother was my favorite. She was born in 1892. My grandparents wouldn't let her do jack. I was always like leave her alone. I used to threaten to take her dancing.

They know more about how things were at the time than we do. This guy got out in 66. But he had some good sea stories. I thought he was absolutely cool. I just asked if I could sit there waiting on my order. He had a ship's cap on and I have on a 3rd MarDiv cap. We just started talking.

I was just surprised he figured out my rank. Need to quit using gun oil as after shave.
    I was the only grandkid who would go spend a week at my grandparents house during the summer every year. I would spend hours talking to my grandma. When grandpa got home he would lay on the floor to watch any sports on TV. He was never much of a talker so I would just sit on floor near him and wait for the words of wisdom. I would sit and talk to my great grandma while she crocheted and watched westerns. I knew things about them no one else in the family knew. I always avail myself of the opportunity to talk with older folks. I always treat them with respect and regard. So much wisdom, so much knowledge and so patriotic. I have an 85 year old usher who ushers for me at church. I keep things simple and easy for him so he can usher until he tells me that he is done.
    "If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen."
    Samuel Adams

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

15. Thanks Gunny, Kathianne thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by crin63 View Post
    I was the only grandkid who would go spend a week at my grandparents house during the summer every year. I would spend hours talking to my grandma. When grandpa got home he would lay on the floor to watch any sports on TV. He was never much of a talker so I would just sit on floor near him and wait for the words of wisdom. I would sit and talk to my great grandma while she crocheted and watched westerns. I knew things about them no one else in the family knew. I always avail myself of the opportunity to talk with older folks. I always treat them with respect and regard. So much wisdom, so much knowledge and so patriotic. I have an 85 year old usher who ushers for me at church. I keep things simple and easy for him so he can usher until he tells me that he is done.
    I lived with my grandparents half my childhood. My grandfather was the wisest man I ever knew.
    Last edited by Gunny; 05-28-2016 at 12:52 AM.

17. Thanks crin63, Kathianne, Elessar, CSM thanked this post