Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Default 19 Years Ago - CG 6549

I remember this day. 4 Coasties died trying to save 5 Canadians during
    a horrific storm off Cape Mendocino:

https://lostcoastoutpost.com/2016/ju...-were-lost-ca/

"Captain Snyder, Sector Commander said, “I’d like to remind you that veterans from all five of our Armed Services give Uncle Sam a blank check when they join, payable up to and including their life, in service to our great nation. I ask that you remember to be grateful each and every day for all our veterans who have issued these checks and to never forget those who paid the ultimate price in service to our great nation.”

Last edited by Elessar; 06-09-2016 at 01:15 PM.
    I have lost my mind. If found, please give it a snack and return it?

"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same of others"...John Wayne in "The Shootist"

A Deplorable!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Elessar View Post
    I remember this day. 4 Coasties died trying to save 5 Canadians during
    a horrific storm off Cape Mendocino:

https://lostcoastoutpost.com/2016/ju...-were-lost-ca/

"Captain Snyder, Sector Commander said, “I’d like to remind you that veterans from all five of our Armed Services give Uncle Sam a blank check when they join, payable up to and including their life, in service to our great nation. I ask that you remember to be grateful each and every day for all our veterans who have issued these checks and to never forget those who paid the ultimate price in service to our great nation.”

Sounds like a good leader to me. They were getting hard to come by when I finally retired.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

3. Thanks Tyr-Ziu Saxnot, Elessar thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
    Sounds like a good leader to me. They were getting hard to come by when I finally retired.
    He is great, @Gunny. He and I (as a GS-11) stood toe to toe many times discussing tactics and response.
    I met a lot of 0-6's like that as both an Enlisted and GS employee.

They trusted my experience and expertise....I trusted their ability to listen to me. We sometimes
    would disagree, having to run by Policy and Procedure - but they always would listen to me when
    I simply would say "This Does Not Make Any Sense".

Did I violate Policy and Procedure at times? You bet I did, but the 'Old Man' / Skipper was my first call to tell
    him why, not to be passed up from the Chain to him. I never got any push-back from it. Skipper always
    covered our asses.

"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same of others"...John Wayne in "The Shootist"

A Deplorable!

5. Thanks NightTrain thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

He is great, @Gunny. He and I (as a GS-11) stood toe to toe many times discussing tactics and response.
    I met a lot of 0-6's like that as both an Enlisted and GS employee.

They trusted my experience and expertise....I trusted their ability to listen to me. We sometimes
    would disagree, having to run by Policy and Procedure - but they always would listen to me when
    I simply would say "This Does Not Make Any Sense".

Did I violate Policy and Procedure at times? You bet I did, but the 'Old Man' / Skipper was my first call to tell
    him why, not to be passed up from the Chain to him. I never got any push-back from it. Skipper always
    covered our asses.
    Preaching to the choir, bubba. I know all about violating procedure and policy to get the job done.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Preaching to the choir, bubba. I know all about violating procedure and policy to get the job done.
    It's necessary to go that route often, but guardedly....not something to make a habit of!

A Deplorable!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

It's necessary to go that route often, but guardedly....not something to make a habit of!
    I technically never violated a law. An order? Yep. Deviated from more than one based on circumstance. The CO might have a plan, but I got paid to used my judgement and do what I thought was right at the time. I have no regrets, and nothing to be ashamed of.

9. Thanks Elessar, CSM thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

I technically never violated a law. An order? Yep. Deviated from more than one based on circumstance. The CO might have a plan, but I got paid to used my judgement and do what I thought was right at the time. I have no regrets, and nothing to be ashamed of.
    That ↑ is a leader!

A Deplorable!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

That ↑ is a leader!
    Leadership is a weird topic. I've always been told I was a good leader. My take on it is I never wanted to be the one in charge. I didn't want to make the decisions. But for some reason I always stepped up. I don't know how to act any other way and never have. I was always afraid of letting others down. I WILL step in and take charge.

Then you got these turkeys that are like lefties .. you owe them respect. You earn MY respect or you're ignored.

12. Thanks Elessar thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Leadership is a weird topic. I've always been told I was a good leader. My take on it is I never wanted to be the one in charge. I didn't want to make the decisions. But for some reason I always stepped up. I don't know how to act any other way and never have. I was always afraid of letting others down. I WILL step in and take charge.

Then you got these turkeys that are like lefties .. you owe them respect. You earn MY respect or you're ignored.
    They are both strange things to many.

Leadership is assumed by an individual, not necessarily assigned in many cases.

Respect is earned, period. Combine the both, and you have someone who will be followed.

A Deplorable!

14. Thanks Kathianne thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

They are both strange things to many.

Leadership is assumed by an individual, not necessarily assigned in many cases.

Respect is earned, period. Combine the both, and you have someone who will be followed.
    If you don't earn MY respect and want to sit in the rear with gear drinking coffee? Count on me going off grid. Sorry, sir. Must have been something wrong with the Pr*ck 77.