Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gabosaurus View Post
    Have any of you vets ever seen or used an AN-94? My brother in law has one he saved from his street gang days. My sister says he has a fairly large collection of weaponry in a storage locker.
    My brother in law told me earlier that he liked it because it has less recoil and a wider range.
    Not familiar with it, but I can look it up.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AN-94
    I have lost my mind. If found, please give it a snack and return it?

"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same of others"...John Wayne in "The Shootist"

A Deplorable!

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

Things to consider:

Well-placed shots = better than 'knock-down' power.

Consider buying in a caliber that matches the most-common-caliber you can easily buy.

Consider buying extra in popular calibers as use for bartering.

If you buy a weapon chambered in 5.56 it can shoot .223 no problem. If you buy one with a .223 barrel, do not - do NOT shoot 5.56 through it.

Can often save money - and increase education - in buying a kit rifle and assembling at home. I suggest avoiding DEL-TON as a supplier, however, via personal experience. Terrible customer service for me.

When you're or if you're using any weapon for defense, at least initially you will not be aiming - but pointing.

I dislike pump-action shot guns. Semi-auto takes more maintenance, but I can fire off five 12ga shells one-handed if needed.

If you go for a tactical light - remember, the bad guy can see you TOO, when you have the light switched on.

If you go for a tactical light - get the biggest and brightest - because if you're in close quarters, a stupidly-bright light can effectively stun a bad guy.

If you have $3000 laying around, check out this sight: https://www.full30.com/video/e447f82...edbe8189cfb661

(Plus, the presenter, Jon Patton, is a personal friend of more than 15 years. Support TheGunCollective.)
    “… the greatest detractor from high performance is fear: fear that you are not prepared, fear that you are in over your head, fear that you are not worthy, and ultimately, fear of failure. If you can eliminate that fear—not through arrogance or just wishing difficulties away, but through hard work and preparation—you will put yourself in an incredibly powerful position to take on the challenges you face" - Pete Carroll.

3. Thanks Gunny, hjmick thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dmp View Post
    Things to consider:

Well-placed shots = better than 'knock-down' power.

Consider buying in a caliber that matches the most-common-caliber you can easily buy.

Consider buying extra in popular calibers as use for bartering.

If you buy a weapon chambered in 5.56 it can shoot .223 no problem. If you buy one with a .223 barrel, do not - do NOT shoot 5.56 through it.

Can often save money - and increase education - in buying a kit rifle and assembling at home. I suggest avoiding DEL-TON as a supplier, however, via personal experience. Terrible customer service for me.

When you're or if you're using any weapon for defense, at least initially you will not be aiming - but pointing.

I dislike pump-action shot guns. Semi-auto takes more maintenance, but I can fire off five 12ga shells one-handed if needed.

If you go for a tactical light - remember, the bad guy can see you TOO, when you have the light switched on.

If you go for a tactical light - get the biggest and brightest - because if you're in close quarters, a stupidly-bright light can effectively stun a bad guy.

If you have $3000 laying around, check out this sight: https://www.full30.com/video/e447f82...edbe8189cfb661

(Plus, the presenter, Jon Patton, is a personal friend of more than 15 years. Support TheGunCollective.)
    I've never gotten the tactical light thing for the EXACT reason you stated. Why don't I just draw a glow in the dark bullseye on my shirt. Also. if you are using a light, you're light blind to anything outside your beam. Unless it's pitch black, that popular little toy is out for me. I ain't digging around in the dark for an armed assailant anyway unless I have no other option.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke