Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

Default Is God sick of us telling Him how bad we are?

Have you met anyone who constantly berates themselves? When I was in 7th grade I liked a girl called Shari. I suspect Shari liked me, too. Shari and I talked on the phone and at school. I was pretty lame. I made a lot of - strike that - I make constant self-effacing comments such as "I can't understand why anyone would find ME attractive..." and "Well, I'm pretty not-good-looking..." Eventually Shari fired back: "Dude, look - if you think you're ugly or fat or whatever - FINE. It's not MY job to fix YOUR self-esteem!"

Listening to radio - I generally play christian music while at work because it's calming and all that, and 'work safe'. Today I was struck - majority of Christian 'praise songs' are written a little like this:

"God - I am such a piece of crap! Only YOU are wonderful, good and nice. You take pity on me, the piece of whale vomit, and though I don't deserve ANY KINDNESS WHATSOEVER, you still haven't destroyed the world! You're my King and all that - But I am not worthy to even speak your name, Jesus. God. Jeweh. But you are SO KIND and LOVING! Even though I deserve perpetual death and destruction for all-eternity, you showed pity on me!!"

Ever wonder if God thinks something like what Shari said to me all those years ago? Ever think God sometimes gets a little turned off at our consistent borderline passive-aggressive crap? I wonder if God ever thinks "Okay - Heaven is waiting and I took care of all that for you...so...dude...let it GO with the constant self-shaming?"
    “… the greatest detractor from high performance is fear: fear that you are not prepared, fear that you are in over your head, fear that you are not worthy, and ultimately, fear of failure. If you can eliminate that fear—not through arrogance or just wishing difficulties away, but through hard work and preparation—you will put yourself in an incredibly powerful position to take on the challenges you face" - Pete Carroll.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dmp View Post
    Have you met anyone who constantly berates themselves? When I was in 7th grade I liked a girl called Shari. I suspect Shari liked me, too. Shari and I talked on the phone and at school. I was pretty lame. I made a lot of - strike that - I make constant self-effacing comments such as "I can't understand why anyone would find ME attractive..." and "Well, I'm pretty not-good-looking..." Eventually Shari fired back: "Dude, look - if you think you're ugly or fat or whatever - FINE. It's not MY job to fix YOUR self-esteem!"

Listening to radio - I generally play christian music while at work because it's calming and all that, and 'work safe'. Today I was struck - majority of Christian 'praise songs' are written a little like this:

"God - I am such a piece of crap! Only YOU are wonderful, good and nice. You take pity on me, the piece of whale vomit, and though I don't deserve ANY KINDNESS WHATSOEVER, you still haven't destroyed the world! You're my King and all that - But I am not worthy to even speak your name, Jesus. God. Jeweh. But you are SO KIND and LOVING! Even though I deserve perpetual death and destruction for all-eternity, you showed pity on me!!"

Ever wonder if God thinks something like what Shari said to me all those years ago? Ever think God sometimes gets a little turned off at our consistent borderline passive-aggressive crap? I wonder if God ever thinks "Okay - Heaven is waiting and I took care of all that for you...so...dude...let it GO with the constant self-shaming?"
    I think you might be on to something here....
    I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

3. Thanks darin thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

I'm Southern Baptist. I am well-versed in the "guilt trip". So ask yourself this: Is the guilt trip God-made? Or is it Man-made? Leave it to us to put words in God's mouth. Think about it. The beginning and the end. The Alpha and the Omega. The Creator of all things. And he's self-righteous and jealous? You're a piece of crap that has to grovel before Him? That's not my creator and it is illogical. You can't be perfect and have these emotions.

Man has used God as a weapon to subdue people and used him as an excuse for the things they do.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

I would imagine God saying, "Instead of constantly berating yourself, change your sinful behavior". But I also suspect a much bigger problem is that we don't ever acknowledge our sins in the first place.

Personally, I have always much preferred straight-up praise/worship songs to the whiny "I'm a mess" type.
    After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box - Author unknown

“Unfortunately, the truth is now whatever the media say it is”
    -Abbey

6. Thanks Gunny, Black Diamond, revelarts thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Abbey View Post
    I would imagine God saying, "Instead of constantly berating yourself, change your sinful behavior". But I also suspect a much bigger problem is that we don't ever acknowledge our sins in the first place.

Personally, I have always much preferred straight-up praise/worship songs to the whiny "I'm a mess" type.
    I couldn't agree more with that sentiment.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

8. Thanks Abbey Marie thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Default Don't think so!

God would never berate any of us. After seeing how we have been making total fools of ourselves for so many centuries. I believe he is enjoying his sense of HUMOR, laughing at all of us, slapping his knee, and setting us all up for the BIG SURPRISE to come when we take our last breath!
    I love to make Liberals Cry, and Whine.
    So, this is for them.
    GOD BLESS AMERICA - IN GOD WE TRUST !

10. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by aboutime View Post
    God would never berate any of us. After seeing how we have been making total fools of ourselves for so many centuries. I believe he is enjoying his sense of HUMOR, laughing at all of us, slapping his knee, and setting us all up for the BIG SURPRISE to come when we take our last breath!
    Crom. My kind of God.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)

I suspect it depends,
    seems there is real a time and place for that if you really see God as he is and ourselves as we are in comparison.
    And there's a time to set it aside. and then pick it up later i suspect.
    I suspect some people wallow in it when they shouldn't
    and others go the other directions and pretend there's nothing in their hearts/soul that's corrupt or needs editing or that God might my have a problem with.

But a couple of verses come to mind here.

Isaiah chapter 6 and Luke 18: 12-16

And i have to Add, i've never really understood the idea of God having the be "my type". Or he must make sense to me or I'll reject God because how he's portrayed doesn't suit my taste or opinion.
    Seems to me God is who he is, whether I like or get all of his ways or not.
    Last edited by revelarts; 06-29-2016 at 05:03 PM.
    It is proper to take alarm at the first experiment on our liberties. The freeman of America did not wait till usurped power had strengthened itself by exercise, and entangled the question in precedents. James Madison
    Live as free people, yet without employing your freedom as a pretext for wickedness; but live at all times as servants of God.
    1 Peter 2:16

13. Thanks Abbey Marie thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by revelarts View Post
    I suspect it depends,
    seems there is real a time and place for that if you really see God as he is and ourselves as we are in comparison.
    and others go the other directions and pretend there's nothing in their hearts/soul that's corrupt or needs editing or that God might my have a problem with.

And i have to Add, i've never really understood the idea of God having the be "my type". Or he must make sense to me or I'll reject God because how he's portrayed doesn't suit my taste or opinion.
    Perhaps. But God didn't write the Bible. Man did.
    Last edited by Gunny; 06-30-2016 at 05:06 AM.

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

I suspect it depends,

Except if we see ourselves as God sees us, well...he sees Christ. That was already finished years ago upon the cross and likely before. To God we aren't corrupt or vile. Nothing in our hearts or souls needs fixing because to God we are already at the end of time where everything is done. When we stop thinking of the linear time we live in, and start thinking about a timeless God, so much more makes sense. I guess it'd be akin to my kids apologizing and prostrating themselves for stuff they did when they were 3 years old. It's done. It is Finished.
    “… the greatest detractor from high performance is fear: fear that you are not prepared, fear that you are in over your head, fear that you are not worthy, and ultimately, fear of failure. If you can eliminate that fear—not through arrogance or just wishing difficulties away, but through hard work and preparation—you will put yourself in an incredibly powerful position to take on the challenges you face" - Pete Carroll.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
    Perhaps. But God didn't write the Bible. Man did.
    i believe the Bible is the word of God.
    And it does in fact portray God and Jesus his Son truly.

others don't have to, thats there choice.
    But if not the Bible then by what standard DO we get a good understanding about who God is and what he's like?
    If the bible is just men. Then it seems to me so is every other religion and atheism as well.
    Who has accurately portrayed God beyond what we might see in him as an awesome creator?

Do we each just define God as our kinda guy .. who wouldn't do things the way we don't like or understand ..and hope for the best?
    Last edited by revelarts; 06-30-2016 at 08:13 AM.
    It is proper to take alarm at the first experiment on our liberties. The freeman of America did not wait till usurped power had strengthened itself by exercise, and entangled the question in precedents. James Madison
    Live as free people, yet without employing your freedom as a pretext for wickedness; but live at all times as servants of God.

17. Thanks Abbey Marie thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)

Except if we see ourselves as God sees us, well...he sees Christ. That was already finished years ago upon the cross and likely before. To God we aren't corrupt or vile. Nothing in our hearts or souls needs fixing because to God we are already at the end of time where everything is done. When we stop thinking of the linear time we live in, and start thinking about a timeless God, so much more makes sense. I guess it'd be akin to my kids apologizing and prostrating themselves for stuff they did when they were 3 years old. It's done. It is Finished.
    Sure there's truth to that. we are/were made clean at the cross and apon belief for all eternity.
    But I think most of us would admit that we are not everyday every moment living like Jesus Christ.
    and daily most of just probably should ask for forgiveness.

I think one pastoral analogy i've heard makes sense.
    Remember at Jesus's last supper, He began to wash all the disciples feet. But when he got to Peter He said to Jesus that 'You'll never wash my feet'. Jesus told him if he didn't then he had no part with him. and Peter said OK then wash my hands and head too. But Jesus said that those that have had a bath were already clean but they just needed their feet washed.

and there's are several times throughout the New testament where we are encourage to ask God forgiveness AFTER we've become believers, as well as asking each other for forgiveness. Even the Prayer the Lord gave as an example ask for forgiveness. But Again it seems to me it's not something we should wallow In like the sterotype of the old Chinese servant "i your insignificant worm of a servant." But it seems as we go along in OUR linear life we... well... Lie, cheat, steal, mistreat others etc etc and need to ask forgiveness from God and from the human wronged as well. What ever that sin, it HAS been forgiven , past tense, long ago. But we are told to confess and forsake it in our linear walk today. God sees that as part of our journey as well seems to me. It seems we need to experience the action of confession and renewed cleaning linearly going forward regularly until we see our finally renewal.
    Last edited by revelarts; 06-30-2016 at 08:56 AM.

19. Thanks Abbey Marie thanked this post
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

Sure there's truth to that. we are/were made clean at the cross and apon belief for all eternity.
    Don't forget, folks in hell were made clean too.

But I think most of us would admit that we are not everyday every moment living like Jesus Christ.
    and daily most of just probably should ask for forgiveness.
    Disagree. It's not very difficult to love God and love one's fellow-man as they love themselves. That's just about it - doing those things out of love (not merely rule-following) is about all folks tend to do; folks who have the love.

I think one pastoral analogy i've heard makes sense.
    Remember at Jesus's last supper, He began to wash all the disciples feet. But when he got to Peter He said to Jesus that 'You'll never wash my feet'. Jesus told him if he didn't then he had no part with him. and Peter said OK then wash my hands and head too. But Jesus said that those that have had a bath were already clean but they just needed their feet washed.

and there's are several times throughout the New testament where we are encourage to ask God forgiveness AFTER we've become believers, as well as asking each other for forgiveness. Even the Prayer the Lord gave as an example ask for forgiveness. But Again it seems to me it's not something we should wallow In like the sterotype of the old Chinese servant "i your insignificant worm of a servant." But it seems as we go along in OUR linear life we... well... Lie, cheat, steal, mistreat others etc etc and need to ask forgiveness from God and from the human wronged as well. What ever that sin, it HAS been forgiven , past tense, long ago. But we are told to confess and forsake it in our linear walk today. God sees that as part of our journey as well seems to me. It seems we need to experience the action of confession and renewed cleaning linearly going forward regularly until we see our finally renewal.
    What happens in any grovelling? People build their pride by how awful they can make themselves. That last part - that's the best; forgiveness-asking heals US more than anything. It reminds us to live in love; not in anger or bitterness and stuff.

21. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

Don't forget, folks in hell were made clean too.

Disagree. It's not very difficult to love God and love one's fellow-man as they love themselves. That's just about it - doing those things out of love (not merely rule-following) is about all folks tend to do; folks who have the love.

What happens in any grovelling? People build their pride by how awful they can make themselves. That last part - that's the best; forgiveness-asking heals US more than anything. It reminds us to live in love; not in anger or bitterness and stuff.
    Perhaps. It depends on who you are. The most un-warlike people I know are line Marines. God created quite a few flawed individuals that he forgave. Samson, Moses, David, Solomon. Even Jesus lost his temper at the money changer's tables.

None of us are God.

Pride is a sin.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Default Great thing, nobody is mentioning here....

As individuals, and despite what all the comments are from everyone who espouses to know what God is, or isn't sick of, or how bad we are.

In the end. We are only answerable to God. The God we believe in, and have faith in.

Nobody, but Nobody else here, or anywhere in our lives can make any claims as to WHAT GOD FEELS.

We answer to HIM, and Only HIM. End of story.
    I love to make Liberals Cry, and Whine.
    So, this is for them.
    GOD BLESS AMERICA - IN GOD WE TRUST !