Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

Default Fourth of July/Veterans

Question for our (combat) veterans:

I see FB posts asking us to be careful shooting off fireworks near neighbors who are veterans.
    Civilian that I am, I had never thought of it. Anyone here have trouble with fireworks?
    After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box - Author unknown

“Unfortunately, the truth is now whatever the media say it is”
    -Abbey

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Abbey View Post
    Question for our (combat) veterans:

I see FB posts asking us to be careful shooting off fireworks near neighbors who are veterans.
    Civilian that I am, I had never thought of it. Anyone here have trouble with fireworks?

Yes Abbey, but not like other vets with PTSD, who I know, will always have reactions most civilians may never understand. In my case. The lawlessness, and disregard for other people's property on the 4th, and even New Years Eve really gets out of hand at times.

Imagine what several of your neighbors, all firing their bottle rockets, and near professional fireworks above your home (fire threats) would do to you.

In many instances where I live. It is useless to call the police because they are nearly overrun with such complaints....they answer none of them, unless someone is injured, or a fire starts.
    People want to have fun, as we all do. But when the lawlessness that begins in Washington spills down to normally quiet neighborhoods.....We all know what happens.

As for those veterans with PTSD. I wish there was a way to protect them in a better way, but IGNORANCE prevails these days, and the selfishness of the "ME" and "I" generations seem to win.

I have a minor case, I think; remembering the sounds of Saudi Arabia, and the AIRRAID warning Sirens from 1990, 91, as well as the Every FIVE HOURS of screaming PRAYERS from the Mosques, when our enemies PRAISE ALLAH SNACKBAR!
    I love to make Liberals Cry, and Whine.
    So, this is for them.
    GOD BLESS AMERICA - IN GOD WE TRUST !

3. Thanks Elessar, Abbey Marie thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

In my profession, we got lots of calls about flares that were only fireworks. I would not
    send an aircrew into fireworks.

The difference between fireworks and flares is easy. A parachute flare burns at 60,000 candle power.
    Commercial fireworks do not, maybe 20,000.

Even meteor flares are distinct. They do not burst at the apex as do fireworks, and are more intense.
    I have lost my mind. If found, please give it a snack and return it?

"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same of others"...John Wayne in "The Shootist"

A Deplorable!

5. Thanks Abbey Marie thanked this post
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

I don't like this campaign. I don't like veterans who promote coddling. I don't like people who do it, veterans or not. It's a difficult position to have I suppose, but c'mon now - it'd be like asking folks to avoid honking horns like, ever...or doing a surprise party. Or gathers in crowded places...Look, I'm not a combat vet, but I've deployed and even I dont like seeing boxes left by the side of the road - or debris piles. I search and scan for all that stuff.

but asking folks to 'show concern' about celebrating the independence of the nation? Just feels off.
    “… the greatest detractor from high performance is fear: fear that you are not prepared, fear that you are in over your head, fear that you are not worthy, and ultimately, fear of failure. If you can eliminate that fear—not through arrogance or just wishing difficulties away, but through hard work and preparation—you will put yourself in an incredibly powerful position to take on the challenges you face" - Pete Carroll.

7. Thanks CSM, Abbey Marie thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dmp View Post
    I don't like this campaign. I don't like veterans who promote coddling. I don't like people who do it, veterans or not. It's a difficult position to have I suppose, but c'mon now - it'd be like asking folks to avoid honking horns like, ever...or doing a surprise party. Or gathers in crowded places...Look, I'm not a combat vet, but I've deployed and even I dont like seeing boxes left by the side of the road - or debris piles. I search and scan for all that stuff.

but asking folks to 'show concern' about celebrating the independence of the nation? Just feels off.
    l'm with you on this one, my friend. I do not want nor do I need some uninformed (regardless of how well intentioned) guardian. I suppose (this is just me) that in my eyes, reducing PTSD issues, ESPECIALLY induced by combat, to a Facebook meme just pisses me off

OMG I'm getting grumpy in my old age!.
    I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

9. Thanks darin, Abbey Marie, Kathianne thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)

I hate them. A random firework has me ducking for cover. I'm too old for that crap.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

11. Thanks Abbey Marie thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

So, no consensus on veterans. In any event, animals get so scared, I can't wait for it all to end.

As a young girl in the Bronx, we had a neighborhood girl sitting on a park bench one July, and a boy put some kind of firecracker in one of the bench slats behind her back. It blew a hole in her back. Then, a guy I worked with down the shore lit one and it blew up, and ruined one eye. I have been nervous about them ever since.
    After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box - Author unknown

“Unfortunately, the truth is now whatever the media say it is”
    -Abbey

13. Thanks Bilgerat thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Abbey View Post
    So, no consensus on veterans. In any event, animals get so scared, I can't wait for it all to end.

As a young girl in the Bronx, we had a neighborhood girl sitting on a park bench one July, and a boy put some kind of firecracker in one of the bench slats behind her back. It blew a hole in her back. Then, a guy I worked with down the shore lit one and it blew up, and ruined one eye. I have been nervous about them ever since.
    What consensus are you looking for? Most of the vets here are Navy and Coast Guard. I'm a Marine combat vet. Our experiences are different. I'm not saying one is better than the other. Just different. I'm trained to hit the deck. It doesn't bother me if it's a fireworks show. But when the knuckleheads in the neighborhood shoot them at random starting this week and won't quit for another week, I get tired of being startled and jumping through my ass.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

15. Thanks Abbey Marie thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Sorry I strayed a bit from the topic.

My Dad would not watch fireworks. He got too banged up in WWII, then when
    a PA&E contracted Fire Chief in 'Nam - he was peppered with burning phosphorus
    leading a hose team into a burning ammo bunker

I've seen expired M-127 illumination flares (parachute) misfire and skip horizontally
    across the water. I don't trust fireworks that are sold in roadside booths at all.
    I have lost my mind. If found, please give it a snack and return it?

"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same of others"...John Wayne in "The Shootist"

A Deplorable!

17. Thanks Bilgerat, Gunny, Abbey Marie thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

When the "youts" were here we'd have shower type or something called a "helicopter", but nothing that would would go bang or boom as we have equines on property.

Now they're gone and the dog is scared of loud noises, so no more anything for us.

But the neighborhood still has a viewing
    Every day I beat my previous record of consecutive days I've stayed alive.

19. Thanks Abbey Marie thanked this post