Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    ^^ Yup. And I do think it was fair to say that the school was raving liberal loonies back in the day, and they have in fact gotten 'better' over time, and maybe have a fair amount of conservatives. But they are STILL a school that is predominantly liberals, liberal professors and such, and in the most liberal town in all of California. Even if free, with free boarding, free food and free everything, I still wouldn't send my son there. No way and no how!
    I understand your thinking. I gotta say though that when it comes to college, seems the kid should have some say. I remember my mom saying when I was very young, "Nothing helps you clarify your thinking like someone telling you something different." She was speaking about religion, but that has served me very well in respect to many issues. It has really helped clarify my thinking in the past year.

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

2. Thanks jimnyc, NightTrain thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kathianne View Post
    I understand your thinking. I gotta say though that when it comes to college, seems the kid should have some say. I remember my mom saying when I was very young, "Nothing helps you clarify your thinking like someone telling you something different." She was speaking about religion, but that has served me very well in respect to many issues. It has really helped clarify my thinking in the past year.
    Absolutely, I agree. We have let Jordan dictate a lot of his education even in his HS years thus far, but of course with guidance. And while his decision on colleges will be highly respected, no way he goes to a very high leaning liberal school! I don't want my kid brainwashed into one of them. He's already leaning right anyway, so I don't think that would be an issue.

Thus far is pick is going to be Rensselaer college a few hours north of us, which is a great school. Pretty difficult to get into, but if his grades continue... he finished with a 4.07gpa this year because of extra credits, and is in summer school taking pre-calc so that he can take physics or whatever next year.

Trying to keep him on the right path of course, and allowing him to choose as I said. But if push came to shove, and a cuckoo liberal college like Berkeley or similar was his choice, we'd have to be having a serious conversation.

4. Thanks Kathianne, Elessar, NightTrain thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gabosaurus View Post
    That might have been true in the late 60's. I went there beginning in 2002. At which time there were just as many conservatives as liberals.
    Do you get your information from old movies and newsreels or what? Have you ever been to California?
    You failed to read that I lived in Hawaiian Gardens, Long Beach near El Dorado Park, and Belmont Shore.
    I lived in Mckinleyville on the far NW Coast of CA, where the liberal hippie enclave of Arcata is just over the
    Mad River bridge.

And I traveled often to Alameda, Petaluma, and Oakland. I've been border to border along the I-5, and
    spent time in the Sierra's trout fishing and gold panning.

You do not pay attention much, do You?
    I have lost my mind. If found, please give it a snack and return it?

"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same of others"...John Wayne in "The Shootist"

A Deplorable!

6. Thanks jimnyc, Kathianne thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Absolutely, I agree. We have let Jordan dictate a lot of his education even in his HS years thus far, but of course with guidance. And while his decision on colleges will be highly respected, no way he goes to a very high leaning liberal school! I don't want my kid brainwashed into one of them. He's already leaning right anyway, so I don't think that would be an issue.

Thus far is pick is going to be Rensselaer college a few hours north of us, which is a great school. Pretty difficult to get into, but if his grades continue... he finished with a 4.07gpa this year because of extra credits, and is in summer school taking pre-calc so that he can take physics or whatever next year.

Trying to keep him on the right path of course, and allowing him to choose as I said. But if push came to shove, and a cuckoo liberal college like Berkeley or similar was his choice, we'd have to be having a serious conversation.
    My boy was the top student in his Middle School in Math. In 9th grade he was in Calculus and said it was boring!
    He represented his high school in the Math Counts competition at University of California - Davis when he was only
    a sophomore. His GPA in high school was at 4.12. He graduated from Humboldt State University with a GPA of 3.75.

Where he got that aptitude, I do not know. But his grandpapa and I were teaching him the multiple tables when he
    was 4 years old.

There's more California for You, Gabby...by the way.

"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same of others"...John Wayne in "The Shootist"

A Deplorable!

8. Thanks jimnyc, Kathianne thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Elessar View Post
    My boy was the top student in his Middle School in Math. In 9th grade he was in Calculus and said it was boring!
    He represented his high school in the Math Counts competition at University of California - Davis when he was only
    a sophomore. His GPA in high school was at 4.12. He graduated from Humboldt State University with a GPA of 3.75.

Where he got that aptitude, I do not know. But his grandpapa and I were teaching him the multiple tables when he
    was 4 years old.

There's more California for You, Gabby...by the way.
    That's excellent!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

That's excellent!!
    Going for his Doctorate in Physical Therapy now at Samuel Merrit University
    in Oakland CA.

More California for you, Gabby....

A Deplorable!

11. Thanks Kathianne thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Elessar View Post
    Going for his Doctorate in Physical Therapy now at Samuel Merrit University
    in Oakland CA.

More California for you, Gabby....
    Damn, good for him! Is he a liberal?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Absolutely, I agree

Thus far is pick is going to be Rensselaer
    They used to have a very good wrestling program there, but it is fantastic as a Tech School!

A Deplorable!

14. Thanks jimnyc thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Damn, good for him! Is he a liberal?
    Not at all. He is fairly neutral, using his mind and insight to make decisions.....
    as it should be.

A Deplorable!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

consider the source of the eggs