Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Default Thoughts on Pence?

In Donald Trump VP search, Mike Pence 'rings the most bells'

Indiana Gov. Mike Pence is widely regarded as the best choice to become Donald Trump's running mate, several Republican strategists told IndyStar, and his recent visit with Trump signals he is willing to join the ticket.

But Pence's future — and the state's gubernatorial race — could depend on whether the presumptive Republican presidential nominee is listening to anyone other than himself.

"The Republican Party has a deep bench of qualified vice presidential candidates," said Michael Caputo, a former Trump adviser. "Some of them ring certain bells, and others ring other bells. I think Mike Pence rings the most bells of all."

Pence, Caputo said, would bring executive experience, a respected congressional record and reassurance to conservatives who may be wary of Trump's positions on several issues.

Caputo worked as Trump's communications director for the GOP convention until June 20, when he resigned after posting a tweet that celebrated the firing of former Trump campaign manager Corey Lewandowski. Caputo was not privy to Trump's vetting process for running mates but said he considers Pence to be the best choice in an eight-person field. Other options include U.S. Sen. Joni Ernst of Iowa, former House Speaker Newt Gingrich and New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie.

"Trump wants to choose somebody who has experience to get things done in Washington," Caputo said. "Not only was (Pence) in Congress, he was a leader in Congress at a time when Republican leadership of Congress was still highly regarded. So that, plus being CEO of a company called Indiana, that means something to Donald Trump."

http://www.indystar.com/story/news/2...ells/86719122/

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

Is bringing "reassurance to Conservatives" the main goal in choosing a veep? I have long thought it was to grab a large electoral state and get swing voters. I am still hopeful that Trump picks someone who will do the latter.
    After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box - Author unknown

“Unfortunately, the truth is now whatever the media say it is”
    -Abbey

3. Thanks jimnyc thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Abbey View Post
    Is bringing "reassurance to Conservatives" the main goal in choosing a veep? I have long thought it was to grab a large electoral state and get swing voters. I am still hopeful that Trump picks someone who will do the latter.
    I agree. Assurance is nice, but doesn't accomplish much necessarily. While we obviously want someone who is on the right, with some conservative principles - we definitely need someone that is going to help with Florida, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Nevada and a couple more. I don't know if that magical person is out there. But I just don't think someone like Christie will reel in those states.

5. Thanks Abbey Marie thanked this post