Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kathianne View Post
    I see your point, but do think it's important if Russia is attempting to influence our elections. Doesn't matter if it were for one side or another. In actuality it's likely at some point that they also will release from RNC, equally likely to have found things that will embarrass those elites too.

For the record, these wikileaks have zero to do with the Clinton email scandal, which wasn't politics, rather a crime that put our security in jeopardy.
    Yes, if it is Russia then I don't want Russia trying to fix our elections, but then again even if Russia hacked these emails, they didn't write these emails. So it's not quite the same.

And of course there is slim to none evidence that the emails were hacked by Russia - it is just dust being through up by Hillary's team. Wikileaks doesn't even admit they came from Guccifer 2.0, and even if they did there is only vague evidence that he is either Russian or Eastern European, and no evidence that he is part of the government of any of those countries.

3. Thanks Bilgerat thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    Yes, if it is Russia then I don't want Russia trying to fix our elections, but then again even if Russia hacked these emails, they didn't write these emails. So it's not quite the same.

And of course there is slim to none evidence that the emails were hacked by Russia - it is just dust being through up by Hillary's team. Wikileaks doesn't even admit they came from Guccifer 2.0, and even if they did there is only vague evidence that he is either Russian or Eastern European, and no evidence that he is part of the government of any of those countries.
    Can you comment on Krauthammer's theory?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Black Diamond View Post
    From a common sense point of view? What would Putin have to gain? He's trampled all over Obama and will do the same to Hillary. What does he get out of someone with balls and unpredictable being in the WH?

Putin may like Trump for whatever reason but he's got an end game to it.

If Hillary's e-mails got leaked it starts with HER.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

That's how I feel. I don't tryst ANYTHING coming from them. Could be one of their own, and they use this as a cover, who knows. If legit, our tech pros better get crackin and make sure we're on the upper end of the tech world.

But as to the content, KARMA, that's what happens when you try to rig the election.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    That's how I feel. I don't tryst ANYTHING coming from them. Could be one of their own, and they use this as a cover, who knows. If legit, our tech pros better get crackin and make sure we're on the upper end of the tech world.

But as to the content, KARMA, that's what happens when you try to rig the election.
    That was my next best guess. I just responded before thinking it all the way through. A typical ruse. Let's blame Putin for my crimes. Notice how with the Clintons it's ALWAYS someone else's fault?
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

8. Thanks Elessar thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

It was reported months ago that the DNC email system had been hacked for a long time. This isn't new. About the bolded, he was extradited from Romania.

I want to make something clear, I don't think TRUMP had anything to do with the release. The emails were under wiki control and whomever Assange gave them to.

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

10. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

It was reported months ago that the DNC email system had been hacked for a long time. This isn't new. About the bolded, he was extradited from Romania.

I want to make something clear, I don't think TRUMP had anything to do with the release. The emails were under wiki control and whomever Assange gave them to.
    It's not all that hard to hack a private server. That's why I find Hillary's conduct inexcusable. She's supposed to be brilliant? At lying maybe. Yet she can't follow a simple construct that E-3s do every day?

And anyone wants Ms Leakapedia having the highest office in our nation? I try to stay away from just blanket calling folks stupid, but anyone that votes for her is just stupid.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Just to clarify, my comments were about Guccifer 2.0, about whom almost nothing is known. This hacker modeled his/her name after Guccifer 1.0, who is the hacker extradited from Romania.

13. Thanks Kathianne thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

About Krauthammer's theory, I think its possible but no more possible than a thousand other theories. I could see Putin wanting to help Trump because he can deal with him and maybe because he thinks Trump won't support NATO, but I could also see Putin wanting to help Hillary because he can buy her with a few million check to the Clinton Foundation.

Overall, I think its actually a private hacker or group of hackers from Eastern Europe or from Russia. I'm surprised Krauthammer put forward this theory, it's not really his style.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Well, it seems to me that many different countries try to influence US elections. Wouldn't surprise me if Russia/Putin did hack then release the emails. It does make me wonder what kind of influence peddling went on and probably still is going on through the Clinton Foundation.
    I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

16. Thanks Kathianne thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

About Krauthammer's theory, I think its possible but no more possible than a thousand other theories. I could see Putin wanting to help Trump because he can deal with him and maybe because he thinks Trump won't support NATO, but I could also see Putin wanting to help Hillary because he can buy her with a few million check to the Clinton Foundation.

Overall, I think its actually a private hacker or group of hackers from Eastern Europe or from Russia. I'm surprised Krauthammer put forward this theory, it's not really his style.
    He didn't put it forward, it was reported that DNC was hacked months and months ago. It was traced back to Russia, but not exactly where. Without names or such, we had an IP here that went to Kremlin. So yeah, seems pretty standard for Russians to to try and find stuff here, even on messageboards through 'above board' means, so it's not surprising they use hackers for more important sources.

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

He didn't put it forward, it was reported that DNC was hacked months and months ago. It was traced back to Russia, but not exactly where. Without names or such, we had an IP here that went to Kremlin. So yeah, seems pretty standard for Russians to to try and find stuff here, even on messageboards through 'above board' means, so it's not surprising they use hackers for more important sources.
    Krauthammer tacitly or not so tacitly said Putin wants Trump to win and leaked the emails so they can together destroy or weaken NATO.
    I agree with Russ that it's a wild theory for krauthammer to even be parroting.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Krauthammer tacitly or not so tacitly said Putin wants Trump to win and leaked the emails so they can together destroy or weaken NATO.
    I agree with Russ that it's a wild theory for krauthammer to even be parroting.
    Well that idea came from the Clinton campaign and with the other already known, not so far out there. Then again, one doesn't know what they may or may not release down the line-hacked Trump tax returns? Who knows what else? Could well blow the whole mess into a broad attempt to make our bad situation worse.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

http://abcnews.go.com/International/...ry?id=40863292

'Beyond a Reasonable Doubt,' Russians Hacked DNC, Analyst Says

• By BRIAN ROSS
    • LEE FERRAN
    • JAMES GORDON MEEK
    • MATTHEW MOSK
    • RHONDA SCHWARTZ

It was the keyboards that gave them away. Russian hackers, typing on keyboards configured in Cyrillic and doing it in a time zone consistent with Moscow, created the “eloquent” code that breached the computers of the Democratic National Committee, according to a top analyst who investigated the hack.

• “This was absolutely not an amateur operation … When you look at the totality of all those pieces and you put them together, it kind of paints a really good picture of who the actor was,” Michael Buratowski, the senior vice president of cybersecurity services at Fidelis Cybersecurity, told ABC News Monday. “I come from a law enforcement background, and it’s [about being] beyond a reasonable doubt. And I would say it’s beyond a reasonable doubt … I’m very confident that the malware that we looked at [was from] Russian actors.”

• “When we looked at the malware, we found that it was very, very eloquent in its design as well as its functionality — very advanced, not something that script user or lower level hacker would be able to really generate or customize,” he said.

Buratowski said IP addresses linked to the attack were associated with Russian servers. A U.S. official said that it appeared that the hackers never worked on Russian holidays.

• And not least to consider, Buratowski said, was the target and timing of the WikiLeaks postingon Friday — which made public 20,000 emails from the pilfered computers.

• “We know for a fact that the malicious actors were in there and had access to this data for some time,” he said. “The timing of the release of information from WikiLeaks is very suspect. When you look at it — it was released right before the [Democratic] convention — you have to question what the motivation was behind that.”

• Buratowski’s firm was one of three independent cybersecurity firms brought in by another firm, Crowdstrike, to analyze parts of malware that infected computers belonging to the Democratic National Committee. Last month Crowdstrike, which was first to analyze the attack, fingered two Russian hacker groups that the firm said were working for two rival Russian intelligence agencies.

• Crowdstrike has already tied one of the hacking teams to a series of attacks on unclassified U.S. government networks last year.
      “This shows you espionage has now moved off the just physical realm of recruiting spies and getting information. It’s now through cyber means,” Dmitri Alperovitch, a co-founder of Crowdstrike, told ABC News in June.

• Presidential candidates and campaigns have been “a traditional target of Russian intelligence for 100 years, but now [Russia is] doing it for cyber," he said.
      Fidelis and another firm, Mandiant, said last month they agreed that Russia state actors appeared to be to blame for the DNC hack. Buratowski said his firm was given only a portion of the code and therefore could not say if other actors were involved.

• Today the FBI confirmed it was investigating the breach. Rep. Adam Schiff, D-Calif., the ranking Democratic member of the House Intelligence Committee, said the committee was briefed by the intelligence community on the hack. He said the committee will “continue to seek further information from the [intelligence community] as to the origin of any attack and a potential connection to Russia or another state sponsor.”

• Despite the confident reports from the several respected cybersecurity firms, cybersecurity expert Kenneth Geers said he's cautious about blaming the Russians so squarely. Attribution in the case of cyber attacks is notoriously difficult to nail down.

Jul 25, 2016, 5:38 PM ET