Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/0...n-putin-226153

<header style="box-sizing: border-box; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: proxima-nova, &quot;Helvetica Neue&quot;, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 16px;">Why Putin hates Hillary

Behind the allegations of a Russian hack of the DNC is the Kremlin leader's fury at Clinton for challenging the fairness of Russian elections.
    </header><footer class="meta" style="box-sizing: border-box; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: proxima-nova, &quot;Helvetica Neue&quot;, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 16px;">By Michael Crowley and Julia Ioffe
    <time datetime="2016-07-25T06:20-0400" style="box-sizing: border-box;">07/25/16 06:20 PM EDT</time>
    </footer>

When mass protests against Russian President Vladimir Putin erupted in Moscow in December 2011, Putin made clear who he thought was really behind them: Secretary of State Hillary Clinton.

With the protesters accusing Putin of having rigged recent elections, the Russian leader pointed an angry finger at Clinton, who had issued a statement sharply critical of the voting results. “She said they were dishonest and unfair,” Putin fumed in public remarks, saying that Clinton gave “a signal” to demonstrators working “with the support of the U.S. State Department” to undermine his power. “We need to safeguard ourselves from this interference in our internal affairs,” Putin declared.

Five years later, Putin may be seeking revenge against Clinton. At least that’s the implication of the view among some cybersecurity experts that Russia was behind the recent hack of the Democratic National Committee’s email server, which has sowed confusion and dissent at the Democratic National Convention and undercut Clinton’s goal of party unity.While Donald Trump’s budding bromance with Vladimir Putin is well known — the two men have exchanged admiring words about each other and called for improved relations between Washington and Moscow — Putin’s hostility towards Clinton draws less attention.

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

http://hotair.com/archives/2016/07/2...aganda-effort/

Evidence suggests Guccifer 2.0 is a Russian propaganda effort

POSTED AT 7:01 PM ON JULY 26, 2016 BY JOHN SEXTON

There has been an apparent breakthrough related to the hack of the Democratic National Committee. TheatConnect, a collection of cyber-security experts, has uncovered evidence indicating that Guccifer 2.0, the alleged Romanian hacker, is actually a propaganda effort created by the Russian government.If you haven’t been paying much attention to this story, you might want to start here. Essentially there is technical evidence suggesting Russia is behind the DNC hack. However, one day after initial conclusions were announced (that Russia was responsible) a hacker calling himself Guccifer 2.0 appeared online and claimed responsibility for the hack. Here’s what I wrote about Guccifer 2.0 yesterday:

And that’s really the question. Is Guccifer 2.0 really an independent Romanian hacker or just a distraction created by government backed Russian hackers as a way to politically launder this material. The Clinton camp thinks the answer is the latter and they may be right.

According to ThreatConnect, their investigation points to Guccifer 2.0 being Russian propaganda:

As we pointed out in our previous analysis, we conclude Guccifer 2.0 is an apparition created under a hasty Russian D&D campaign, which has clearly evolved into an Active Measures Campaign. Those who are operating under the Guccifer 2.0 Twitter, WordPress and Email communications are likely made up a cadre of non-technical politruk attempting to establish “Guccifer 2.0” as a static fixture on the world stage along the likes of Manning, Assange or Snowden. Their use of Russian VPN services with French infrastructure may shed light on a method Russian intelligence operatives use — domestic services coupled with foreign infrastructure — to help hide their hand and deter any potential attribution to Russia…

Our research into Guccifer 2.0’s infrastructure further solidifies our assessment that the persona is a Russia-controlled platform that can act as a censored hacktivist. Moscow determines what Guccifer 2.0 shares and thus can attempt to selectively impact media coverage, and potentially the election, in a way that ultimately benefits their national objectives.

The Hill notes Guccifer 2.0 (or whoever is pretending to be him) has previously claimed not to speak any Russian, which makes it very difficult to explain how he signed up for Russian VPN services:

Guccifer 2.0 has long claimed to be Romanian. In an online chat interview with Motherboard, Guccifer 2.0 claimed not to know how to speak Russian. In it, Motherboard asked a question in Russian, and Guccifer replied “What’s this? Is it russian?”…
    In the same interview, when forced to answered questions in Romanian, he used such clunky grammar and terminology that experts believed he was using an online translator.
    If you’re wondering why Russia would go through all this trouble to meddle in a U.S. election, I discussed one possible explanation here.

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

I've said a couple times now that my interest in this election has become more academic, I don't really have anything to win in this game. These emails bother me, as I think they should everyone.

This comes pretty close to my thinking, my arm just isn't into writing long posts right now.

http://www.nationalreview.com/corner...ans-are-threat

So Now the Russians Are a Threat by DAVID FRENCH July 26, 2016 5:25 PM

I must admit that it’s a little bit amusing reading the Left after the Wikileaks DNC hack. Huffington Post right now (Tuesday afternoon) is awash in hysterical anti-Putin headlines, declaring the hack to be “worse than Watergate.” Over at Slate, Isaac Chotiner asks if the DNC hack is an “act of war.” (No, it’s an intelligence operation, not an air raid.) And now there’s suspicion that more revelations may be on the way. The panic is palpable.

It’s hard not to resist schadenfreude, but we must. After all, this is the same progressive movement that mocked Mitt Romney’s accurate declaration of Russia’s ambitions and intentions during the 2012 election. But now that the DNC is under siege, we face a national emergency. Better late than never, I suppose. On the list of threats to our national interests, I’d rank the DNC hack well below Russia’s invasion of the Ukraine, annexation of the Crimea, threats against NATO-allied Baltic states, and aggressive assertions of power in the Middle East, but meddling in American presidential politics is serious nonetheless.

And it’s a matter of concern that the Putin government may view Trump favorably enough to intervene on his behalf to humiliate his opponent. It’s fair to wonder, what does Putin either like about Trump or hate about Hillary? Or is Putin merely seeking to cause chaos, and the DNC servers were a target of opportunity? Spare me any explanation that Putin would ratchet up international tensions merely because Trump “respects” him or has said nice things about him. Putin is a cold-eyed calculator who plays an old-school great power political game — from the line of thinking that says that nations don’t have “friends,” only interests. If Putin is intervening in the American election, he’s pursuing Russian interests, not Trump interests. But why?

Add the Wikileaks data dump to interesting research indicating that at least some online pro-Trump Twitter accounts appear to be Russian in origin (this isn’t news to those of us who’ve been targeted by the alt-right — it’s plain that many of those accounts aren’t American), and the concern should only grow. Again, I don’t claim to know why Putin seems to be intervening to aid Trump, only that for now that appears to be the Russian strategy. If the goal is sheer disruption, however, then he could shift his fire at any time. If the goal is to truly aid Trump, I’d be surprised if this was the last Russian surprise of the election.

But at least now — on this one thing — most progressives and conservatives are united. Putin’s Russia is, in fact, a geopolitical threat.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Not to diminish anything, just saw this on FB and thought it was hilarious, and kinda true.

5. Thanks Kathianne, Gunny thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Black Diamond View Post
    Krauthammer seemed to be pedaling a theory yesterday that Putin wants Trump to win so they can work together in destroying or at least weakening NATO.
    Well....there's that.

And then....there's this. Which just confirms what I suspected all along.

It looks like Russia hired internet trolls to pose as pro-Trump Americans

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DLT View Post
    Well....there's that.

And then....there's this. Which just confirms what I suspected all along.

It looks like Russia hired internet trolls to pose as pro-Trump Americans
    What was it you suspected all along? That Russia was hiring trolls? I'm confused.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    What was it you suspected all along? That Russia was hiring trolls? I'm confused.
    Well....yeah. The headline pretty much says it all. Why are you confused?

9. Thanks jimnyc thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Well....yeah. The headline pretty much says it all. Why are you confused?
    Would just be odd, to me anyway, that someone here in the States suspected Russia of hiring trolls. But this technically isn't the first time I heard this. We had a similar discussion with a Russian member here awhile back, and someone brought up Russia having entire places setup in order to get some propaganda out there.

Not sure what anyone thinks having a bunch of trolls is going to do. Is there anyone really that weak, that they would change their vote in either direction, based on what a troll stated? Hell, I've seen trolls at many other places, even a few here at times, no matter what they may write - it wouldn't even make a blurb on what I may or may not vote on.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    Would just be odd, to me anyway, that someone here in the States suspected Russia of hiring trolls. But this technically isn't the first time I heard this. We had a similar discussion with a Russian member here awhile back, and someone brought up Russia having entire places setup in order to get some propaganda out there.

Not sure what anyone thinks having a bunch of trolls is going to do. Is there anyone really that weak, that they would change their vote in either direction, based on what a troll stated? Hell, I've seen trolls at many other places, even a few here at times, no matter what they may write - it wouldn't even make a blurb on what I may or may not vote on.
    Yes, but what you are forgetting here is.....not everybody that posts on the internet is as savvy and informed about such things. It's all about creating a "perception"...ie symbolism over substance (The Clinton's Standard of No-Standards)....and it's all about pushing a meme and an image that the propagandists WANT to create.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Yes, but what you are forgetting here is.....not everybody that posts on the internet is as savvy and informed about such things. It's all about creating a "perception"...ie symbolism over substance (The Clinton's Standard of No-Standards)....and it's all about pushing a meme and an image that the propagandists WANT to create.
    True, true! But this election is weird. I can't imagine a single Hillary voter changing to Trump, based on trolling or memes. Even the other way, I couldn't imagine Trump voter going Hillary based on online crap either. It seemed like folks dug in their heels fairly early this year and not a whole lot is/was going to get people to change their minds.

But I have seen many of the memes across Facebook, where I had to turn around and correct that person, that the meme had no truth to it at all. Here's one from 2 days ago in fact. I suppose some folks do fall for this crap.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

I think everyone's pretty much made up their minds at this point. The only ones I figure that have not are the ones deciding whether or not even bother to go vote.

I personally get tired of the stupid pics for everything. But that's just me.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

14. Thanks Kathianne thanked this post