Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
    And there is no logic to them.
    Thanks for the comment.

Everything has rules. Be they physical or contrived. Without the rules, kind of hard to just ad lib. You need to put some parameters on your equation.
    MCLOM has rules. Just read the ruling of the fictitious arbitral tribunal carefully.
    "The Palestinian/Israeli issue (more accurately, the conflict between Jews and Muslims) could never be resolved permanently." -- reedak

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The Old Man of the Mountain never said a word.
    Pray that the Old Man of the Mountain will never say a word. The day when he utters a deafening roar is the day of his final collapse. His face may come tumbling down upon you if you happen to be at the foot of the mountain that moment.
    "The Palestinian/Israeli issue (more accurately, the conflict between Jews and Muslims) could never be resolved permanently." -- reedak

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I don't want people feeling unwelcome here.
    Thanks for your warm welcome.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GravyBoat View Post
    But how is the reader supposed to know that unless you provide an actual case? As a conclusion to your story, you could provide the case from which you made your analogy. Your story is fine, but you need to work on it from a technical standpoint. I'm not some kind of editor, but I know that the story needs work, the narrative you're trying to show is lost to the reader, there's some sort of literary devices missing. Best wishes in your writing.
    Thanks for your good advice. If you read all the classic satires by famous authors such as Hans Christian Andersen, you would find that they never provide any actual case. It will be a failure for a writer if he fails to convey his message to the readers through his writings.

Similarly, all artists of abstract paintings such as Picasso never reveal what they are painting. For instance, if I intend to draw a book, but fearing that the viewers don't understand what I am drawing, I write the word "Book 2" on the picture. Then it will be a sign of failure as an artist for me to reveal what I am drawing.

I would appreciate very much if you could just comment on the "logic" of the fictitious tribunal's ruling in my story. Just a few words, such as "The verdict makes sense" or "The verdict makes no sense", would be sufficient. Thanks again.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Elessar View Post
    Eh! Lost cause, this one.

Wants to keep the smoke and mirrors up and going!
    If you peer through the mist, you would find the lost cause.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reedak View Post
    Pray that the Old Man of the Mountain will never say a word. The day when he utters a deafening roar is the day of his final collapse. His face may come tumbling down upon you if you happen to be at the foot of the mountain that moment.
    Thanks for your warm welcome.
    You ARE welcome. I'll be one of the last to run you or anyone else off. Doesn't mean I'm not going to argue with you. What do you think a debate board is for?

nd if the Old Man of the Mountain in New Hampshire talks, somebody best put his face back on.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

You ARE welcome. I'll be one of the last to run you or anyone else off. Doesn't mean I'm not going to argue with you. What do you think a debate board is for?

nd if the Old Man of the Mountain in New Hampshire talks, somebody best put his face back on.
    Thanks. You'll be exorcised.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Narrator: Since he left his homeland, the priest had travelled miles of rough terrain in the daytime and lodged mainly in an inn or slept on a tree at night. One month after meeting the twin brother of the Old Man of the Mountain, he came to a mountain stream near a forest. After tying his horse to an ancient giant tree, he took a dip in the stream. After eating some wild fruits, he climbed up the giant tree to retire for the night.

Next morning while bathing in the stream, he suddenly felt the whole ground and the water shaking violently around him. With much difficulty, he rushed up the bank and sprawled flat on the ground. The earthquake lasted about 30 seconds. Meanwhile his horse was neighing loudly and prancing wildly under the tree.

After sometime when there were no more aftershocks, he got up, put on his clothes, untied his horse and continued his journey. Soon he found himself galloping along a vacant sandy land where he could see crabs crawling beside some dead fish. As the breeze blew towards his face, he could smell the salty air.

To his amazement and horror, he discovered that he was actually travelling in a sea whose water had receded far out into the ocean. He was not alone as he discerned a figure walking with an animal in the distance. As he approached them, he saw an old man walking a dog.

Priest: Hi, Old Man of the Mountain! Glad to see you here!

Old man: No, I am not the Old Man of the Mountain. I am his real twin brother. I am his real, real twin brother.

Priest: Glad to find you alive and kicking after jumping down the wall. But why the need to highlight your identity now?

Old man: I have won the election and will be sworn in as the ruler of the Mountain next month. Since my election victory, my name and identity have often been stolen by imposters, particularly in telepathic communication.

Priest: Congratulations on your new job! Sometimes the fake looks more real than the genuine.

Old man: That's why I have to highlight to everybody, particularly in my telepathic messages, that I am the real twin brother of the Old Man of the Mountain.

Priest: What is your goal for the Mountain?

Old man: I shall "make the Mountain great again"!

Priest: Do you think you can ever achieve your goal?

Old man: Of course, I have what it takes to "make the Mountain great again" because I am a brilliant deal maker. In addition, I am a businessman who knows how to get things done.

Priest: On the way, I heard from some people that your twin brother had mocked your business failings in a major speech arguing that you would be disastrous for the economy. He said, "He’s written a lot of books about business. They all seem to end at Chapter 11. He bankrupted his companies not once, not twice, but four times."

Old man: Hundreds of companies have filed for bankruptcy. I used the law four times and made a tremendous thing. I'm in business. I did a very good job.

Priest: One guy had investigated your business dealings and found a total of six bankruptcies. Why the discrepancy?

Old man: I counted the first three bankruptcies as just one.

Priest: You seem to have invented a new form of mathematics which makes "three equal to one". It's good news for any man with three wives. He can claim that he is practising monogamy.

Old man: You are welcome to exchange anything three for one with me. It reveals the great business acumen and winning mentality I have to become the greatest ruler of the Mountain.

Priest: You are as slippery as the dead fish on the ground, able to convince your voters of your so-called "high net worth" with your twisted arguments after filing for bankruptcy multiple times.

Old man: That's why I claimed that I did a very good job.

Priest: Okay, enough of your "very good job" in multiple bankruptcies. Let's switch to another subject. Are you willing to accept the election outcome as the will of the voters?

Old man: Of course, I am glad to accept the election results now.

Priest: But do you peacefully accept the election outcome if you are the loser?

Old man: Ask me this question in the next election.

Priest: Do you think the Old Man of the Mountain, who is your twin brother and election opponent, is accepting the election results willingly?

Old man: It is the “Mountain way” to peacefully accept election results. He had conceded defeat by congratulating me on election night. He told his voters, "We must accept this result and then look to the future. We owe him an open mind and the chance to lead."

Priest: Do you think he will push for vote recounts under the pretext of examining whether the electoral democracy of the Mountain is working?

Old man: In the last debate, he chastised me for my unwillingness to pledge that I would accept the outcome of the election. Calling my statement “horrifying”, he said: "That is not the way our democracy works. We’ve been around for 240 years. We’ve had free and fair elections. We’ve accepted the outcomes when we may not have liked them, and that is what must be expected of anyone standing on a debate stage during an election.” Hence I don't think he will push for vote recounts. So much time and money will be spent - same result! Sad.

Priest: On the way here, I heard allegations of a hack-riddled election with hacking into the party members' brains with witchcraft. The election system of the Mountain is even condemned as extremely vulnerable for relying on a system that is wide open to hacks by sorcery. Hence do you think he will eventually push for vote recounts?

Old man: I can still remember what he said in the first election debate. He said: "Well, I support our democracy. And sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. But I certainly will support the outcome of this election. And I know my twin brother's trying very hard to plant doubts about it."

We had even sought the advice of our first ancestor who gave a grim warning through the mouth of our temple medium: "That is not a joking matter. No, no, no. I want everyone to pay attention here. That is dangerous. When you try to sow the seeds of doubt in people’s minds about the legitimacy of our elections, that undermines our democracy. Then you are doing the work of our adversaries for them because our democracy depends on people knowing their vote matters.”

Hence I don't think my twin brother will go back on his word.

Priest: Don't you know that your twin brother is so notorious for flip-flopping on key issues that he is nicknamed Mr Flip-flop?

Old man (pointing to a dead fish on the wet ground): Like that dead fish, he is something of a spent force. I have yet to hear any flip-flop from him.

Narrator: As soon as he finished speaking, there came a sudden aftershock. The horse neighed loudly and pranced around wildly. The old man tried to restrain his frightened, barking dog which was pulling hard on the leash to run away.

As the ground shook violently, the fish trembled as though they were shivering in the cold. Some of them even "jumped" about as if they had come back alive. When the aftershock was over, the old man turned to the priest.

Old man (jokingly): Now I know dead fish can flip-flop.

Priest (laughing): You were flip-flopping like one of those dead fish just now when you were pulled along by your dog.

Old man (laughing): It's the same with you. You were bouncing like a ball on your prancing horse.

Priest: On the way, I heard that the intelligence agencies of the Mountain had concluded with “high confidence” that the great bear demon acted covertly in the latter stages of the election campaign to harm your twin brother's chances and promote you. Thirty-five warlocks were expelled from the Mountain for allegedly helping the great bear demon to hack the brains of your twin brother and his campaign staffers during the election.

Old man: Unless you catch "hackers" in the act, it is very hard to determine who was doing the hacking. Why wasn't this brought up before election?

If the great bear demon, or some other entity, was hacking my twin brother's brain by black arts, why did he wait so long to act? Why did his party members only complain after he lost?

A whistleblower who published the telepathic messages of my twin brother's campaign manager said "a 14-year-old wizard could have hacked his brain by sorcery" — why was his election committee so careless? He also said the great bear demon did not give him the info!

Can you imagine if the election results were the opposite and we tried to play the great bear demon card. It would be called conspiracy theory!

The election ended a long time ago in one of the biggest victories of the Mountain in history. It’s now time to move on and "make the Mountain great again".

Priest: Tomorrow is new year holiday, do you have any message for your twin brother and his campaign staffers?

Old man: Happy New Year to all, including my many enemies and those who have fought me and lost so badly they just don't know what to do. Love!

Priest: The great bear demon had reportedly said he would not "stoop" to "irresponsible diplomacy", but rather attempt to repair relations once you take office.

Old man: Great move on delay - I always knew he was very smart!

Priest: He was so smart that he even hacked your brain and those of your campaign staffers by witchcraft too, but he did not release whatever information they gleaned from the brain waves. This finding was reportedly reached with "high confidence" by the intelligence agencies of the Mountain.

Old man: I don’t believe the great bear demon had interfered. I know a lot about hacking the brain by black arts, and such hacking is a very hard thing to prove, so it could be somebody else. I know things that other people don't know. And so they cannot be sure of the situation. You know, if you have something really important, write it out and have it delivered by courier, the old-fashioned way. Because I'll tell you what - no brain is safe from hacking by sorcery when it is emitting brain waves in telepathy. I shall reveal details people don't know about the incident in the coming days.

I was supposed to get the intelligence briefing on the so-called great bear demon's hacking of the brains by sorcery yesterday but it was delayed until next week, perhaps more time needed to build a case. Very strange!

According to the whistleblower, the Mountain's news media coverage is “very dishonest”. More dishonest than anyone knows.

Narrator: As soon as he had finished speaking, the ground shook violently. The dog barked loudly and pulled hard at the leash in its attempt to run away, but it ended up running in a circle around the old man. The horse neighed loudly and pranced wildly in a circle around the old man and his dog. The dead fish "jumped" to shoulder height from the ground. The old man screamed at his dog in his effort to stop it from running, and one of the fish landed in his big potty mouth. When the aftershock was over, the priest said jokingly.

Priest: The sight of the fish in your mouth reminds me of a proverbial saying: "Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." It seems that God has given you a fish while teaching you how to fish like a hungry brown bear plucking a leaping salmon from the air.

Old man (spitting out the fish angrily): If God really wants to give me a fish, He should not give me a rotten one.

Priest: Okay, we have enough talk about brain hacking by black arts. I wish to contact you when I reach the Mountain. May I have your phone number?

Old man: Why not? Here is my name card with my phone number.

Priest: Thanks for your name card.

Old man: No need to thank me. You are the only one who gets my phone number free of charge because I regard you as my true friend. Your mistress who is now living apart in trial separation has donated a huge sum of money to my election campaigns just for my phone number.

Priest: Well, she can get your phone number, but don't ever let me catch her calling you or your twin brother.

Old man: I have to tell you a bad news. She called me last week to wish me congratulations on winning the election.

Narrator: Suddenly there came another aftershock. "Leaping" to eye level, the dead fish seemed to "dance" in celebration of a special occasion. The dog kept barking and pulled so hard on the leash that it pulled the old man along with it for some distance. The horse neighed loudly and lifted its front legs so high that the priest almost fell off from its back. When the ground stopped shaking, the two men resumed their conversation.

Priest: Okay, let's get back to my perfidious lover. When I return to my region, I shall confirm with her whether she has acted unfaithfully behind my back before lodging an official protest to you. As for now I have to lodge a solemn representation with you as an informal protest for interfering in my domestic affairs.

Old man: Interesting how my twin brother does a lot of business with her and I should not accept a congratulatory call.

Priest: You are very clear about my solemn position on your phone conversation with my mistress in trial separation.

Old man: I never said it. Don't put words in my mouth.

Priest: You won't lose anything by keeping your big potty mouth shut! Anyway I have to take my leave now. The more I speak to you, the more irritated I am. There is a popular quote by someone in your region: "When they go low, you go high.” I have to go high now not because of my grace, forgiveness, and enemy love but because of the impending arrival of tsunami.

Old man: This place is a paradise to me when I think of the congratulatory calls from the leaders of all the other regions, particularly the phone call from your mistress in trial separation. Anyway, don't forget to call me when you reach the Mountain. Goodbye!

Priest: Enjoy the gorgeous landscape of your paradise before it turns into hell. Goodbye!

Narrator: Thereupon the priest put spurs to his horse and sped on towards a distant mountain at full gallop. However, he turned back to speak to the old man after galloping a few hundred metres.

Priest: I almost forgot to tell you something that was purported to have uttered by your first ancestor through the mouth of a temple medium. Suggesting that the Mountain is entering a time of hopelessness, he said: "We feel the difference now. Hope is necessary. It’s a necessary concept. And the Old Man of the Mountain didn’t just talk about hope because he thought it was a nice slogan to get votes. He and I and so many believed that … what else do you have if you don’t have hope? What do you give your kids if you can’t give them hope?”

Old man: We have tremendous hope and we have tremendous promise and we have tremendous potential. I assume my first ancestor was talking about the past, not the future.

Narrator: No sooner had he spoken than the ground began to shake. The quake of the aftershock was so powerful that the priest was thrown off the horse. After performing a somersault in the air, he landed safely but rose in full pursuit of his horse which had galloped up a slope. After a while, he managed to catch up with his horse and jumped onto its back.

Meanwhile, the old man was chasing his dog which had broken free from the leash and was running towards the rising waves. The dead fish shot up like rockets from the ground and rained down on the two men and their animals. One of them landed on the old man's golden locks.

**************************** END ****************************
    Last edited by reedak; 01-06-2017 at 05:40 AM.

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

Nobody will have any idea wtf you're talking about unless you start putting a "bottom-line-up-front" that is too mystical and weird to suffer through.

Point of order - if the ocean had just receded he would have not suddenly realized he was riding on a ocean floor because the 'sand' would have been 'mud'.

10. Thanks LongTermGuy thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by darin View Post
    Point of order - if the ocean had just receded he would have not suddenly realized he was riding on a ocean floor because the 'sand' would have been 'mud'.
    1. After a while, the priest realised he was riding in a place which was originally covered with sea water because he saw a lot of crabs and stranded fish around him. Another reason was the salty odour of sea water in the air.

Whether the priest rode on sand or mud would depend on the depth of the sea near the beach. A narrow stretch of beach would show that the sea nearby is deep. Then the bottom of the sea near the beach would likely consist of more mud than sand.

If the stretch of beach is wide and sandy, the bottom of the sea nearby would quite likely be shallow and sandy. In this case, when the sea recedes, it would more likely to expose a large sandy area.

2. Due to the lack of basic education and experience about the signs of an ensuing tsunami in countries with rare occurrences of tsunamis, many people still loiter on the beach to watch the bizarre sight after the sea recedes from the land. Some of them, particularly children, even venture further out to pick corals and stranded fish, and they would be engulfed by the wall of water of the ensuing tsunami.

The following links show how people are caught unaware by tsunamis.

(a) According to http://packthailand.com/how-khao-lak...unami-in-2004/

(Begin excerpts)
    Initially, the sea disappeared in what is know as a ‘drawback’. The ocean recedes leaving nothing but sand on the beach. This bizarre sight caused many people to go onto the beach to see what was happening – some even swam in sea. Unfortunately, a tsunami drawback is a warning of an horrendous killer wave that’s about to hit. (End excerpts)

(b) According to http://www.wsws.org/en/articles/2005/01/warn-j03.html

(Begin excerpts)
    While an official warning may have come too late for many on Aceh’s west coast, the lack of basic education probably lifted the toll by thousands. After the tremor, the sea suddenly retreated hundreds of metres, but no one knew what this meant. Intrigued by the phenomenon, villagers, particularly children, followed the water out, picking up stranded fish, only to be engulfed by the wall of water that followed. Many simply stood there transfixed and uncomprehending. (End excerpts)

(c) Historic video - Watch what happened about 15 minutes before a tsunami struck in India in 2004.

Last edited by reedak; 03-29-2018 at 02:14 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by darin View Post
    Nobody will have any idea wtf you're talking about unless you start putting a "bottom-line-up-front" that is too mystical and weird to suffer through.
    With a trade war looming over the globe, it is ripe time to explain to readers what I am talking about.

Like the shock waves of a powerful earthquake which reverberated throughout the region in my political satire, the surprise victory of a racist, erratic, isolationist presidential candidate has shocked the world.

Like the tsunami that came in the wake of a huge earthquake in my political satire, the stunning election victory of a failed businessman with 4 (but actually 6?) bankruptcies could spell economic disaster for the American and global economy.

Like the ensuing tsunami that would change the landscape in my political satire, Trump's shock election win has the potential to reshape the world order.

Like the ensuing tsunami that would overwhelm the coastal region in my political satire, the "tsunami of protectionism and trade wars" will eventually devastate the American and global economy.

P.S. The following links will help readers understand the message of my political satire:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-doubt-it.html

http://variety.com/2016/biz/global/t...on-1201913716/

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...-trump-victory

http://www.informationng.com/2016/12...elessness.html

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/t...rticle/2609932

http://www.latimes.com/politics/la-n...nap-story.html

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/donal...ry?id=13419250

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...=.105f5b0ffaf2

https://www.politico.com/story/2016/...-taiwan-232266

https://psmag.com/news/weighing-war-...-time-of-trump

http://www.straitstimes.com/world/un...-on-trump-tsai

http://www.businessinsider.com/trump...-2016-12/?IR=T

http://watchingamerica.com/WA/2018/0...aiwanese-card/

https://thediplomat.com/2016/12/the-...ics-in-taiwan/
    Last edited by reedak; 03-29-2018 at 02:27 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

**God Bless The American....TRUMP!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Default Be Inspired and Thankful to be an American....

THIS SHOULD BE OUR NEW NATIONAL ANTHEM TOO!
    Last edited by aboutime; 03-30-2018 at 07:51 PM.
    I love to make Liberals Cry, and Whine.
    So, this is for them.
    GOD BLESS AMERICA - IN GOD WE TRUST !

15. Thanks LongTermGuy, Elessar thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Thanks for taking the trouble to read it even though you have lost your mind.
    Jaded you are, with a self-induced feeling of grandeur and superiority That is false and lame.
    I have lost my mind. If found, please give it a snack and return it?

"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same of others"...John Wayne in "The Shootist"

A Deplorable!

17. Likes LongTermGuy liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by aboutime View Post

THIS SHOULD BE OUR NEW NATIONAL ANTHEM TOO!
    That was wonderful! Thank You AT!
    I have lost my mind. If found, please give it a snack and return it?

"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same of others"...John Wayne in "The Shootist"

A Deplorable!