Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)

Default Don Henley sized up Merle Haggard, and got nervous

Don Henley sized up Merle Haggard, and got nervous
    Don Henley

Singer-songwriter-drummer Don Henley made his mark with the Eagles but the Texas native has also had a successful solo career. (Danny Clinch photo)
    Chrissie DickinsonChicago Tribune

Don Henley is no musical novice. He's one of the founders of the massively successful rock band the Eagles, a popular solo artist and a member of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. But when it came to recording with Merle Haggard, the singer-songwriter admits he experienced a bit of anxiety.

"I was pretty nervous," Henley says with a quiet laugh, calling from Los Angeles on a day off from a solo tour that brings him to Ravinia on Sunday and Monday. He's recalling the day the country music legend joined him in the studio for "The Cost of Living," a stellar duet on Henley's current album "Cass County" (Capitol). Released last fall and debuting at No. 1 on the Billboard country chart, the project is Henley's first new solo album in 15 years.

Henley had long revered Haggard and was happily surprised when the music icon agreed to participate. The recording session gave Henley the opportunity to collaborate with a cherished idol. It was a precious experience — not long after, Haggard passed away in April at the age of 79.

"Merle's conversation was very philosophical and poetic," Henley observes about their time together in the studio. "He could be cantankerous — he didn't want to do as many takes as I wanted him to. But it was a real honor to have him in the room. His ancestors were Dust Bowl Okies. Merle had an authenticity to him because of the way he grew up."

---------------------------------
    TWO LEGENDS THAT EACH RATE AS TOPS IN MY BOOK IN REGARDS TO MUSICAL TALENT...
    Will never be another like Merle!
    I became a die-hard fan of Haggard the first time I heard him sing and play, same thing with Henley...-Tyr
    18 U.S. Code § 2381-Treason Whoever, owing allegiance to the United States, levies war against them or adheres to their enemies, giving them aid and comfort within the United States or elsewhere, is guilty of treason and shall suffer death, or shall be imprisoned not less than five years and fined under this title but not less than $10,000; and shall be incapable of holding any office under the United States.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tyr-Ziu Saxnot View Post
    Don Henley sized up Merle Haggard, and got nervous
    Don Henley

Singer-songwriter-drummer Don Henley made his mark with the Eagles but the Texas native has also had a successful solo career. (Danny Clinch photo)
    Chrissie DickinsonChicago Tribune

Don Henley is no musical novice. He's one of the founders of the massively successful rock band the Eagles, a popular solo artist and a member of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. But when it came to recording with Merle Haggard, the singer-songwriter admits he experienced a bit of anxiety.

"I was pretty nervous," Henley says with a quiet laugh, calling from Los Angeles on a day off from a solo tour that brings him to Ravinia on Sunday and Monday. He's recalling the day the country music legend joined him in the studio for "The Cost of Living," a stellar duet on Henley's current album "Cass County" (Capitol). Released last fall and debuting at No. 1 on the Billboard country chart, the project is Henley's first new solo album in 15 years.

Henley had long revered Haggard and was happily surprised when the music icon agreed to participate. The recording session gave Henley the opportunity to collaborate with a cherished idol. It was a precious experience — not long after, Haggard passed away in April at the age of 79.

"Merle's conversation was very philosophical and poetic," Henley observes about their time together in the studio. "He could be cantankerous — he didn't want to do as many takes as I wanted him to. But it was a real honor to have him in the room. His ancestors were Dust Bowl Okies. Merle had an authenticity to him because of the way he grew up."

TWO LEGENDS THAT EACH RATE AS TOPS IN MY BOOK IN REGARDS TO MUSICAL TALENT...
    Will never be another like Merle!
    I became a die-hard fan of Haggard the first time I heard him sing and play, same thing with Henley...-Tyr
    Two of my favorite vocalists but I can't imagine them singing together. Like oil and water. The Eagles actually started as a country rock band. They went rock after they dumped Randy Meisner who wrote most of their country songs. I don't know about their internal politics. I just know there was a marked change in their music.

When the Eagles had their "reunion" Meisner sued them. If you actually have the CD's you will not Take It to the Limit, Tequila Sunrise and Peaceful, Easy feeling are absent. He was suing for the rights to the songs he wrote.

They finally settled but he wasn't getting back in.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke