Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

Default One for the Vets

So I'm watching this show last night and this alleged sniper is talking about hand to hand combat with a bayonet. My jaw dropped.

If you're an 0317 and in hand to hand combat? You're f*cked. There are 2 of you. You take your shot and didi mau. This guy was talking more sh*t than my brother does.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
    So I'm watching this show last night and this alleged sniper is talking about hand to hand combat with a bayonet. My jaw dropped.

If you're an 0317 and in hand to hand combat? You're f*cked. There are 2 of you. You take your shot and didi mau. This guy was talking more sh*t than my brother does.
    Given that I only have knowledge of snipers from what I have read in some
    History articles, and tactics in other websites, I would say this guy is a fraud with that claim.
    I have lost my mind. If found, please give it a snack and return it?

"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same of others"...John Wayne in "The Shootist"

A Deplorable!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Elessar View Post
    Given that I only have knowledge of snipers from what I have read in some
    History articles, and tactics in other websites, I would say this guy is a fraud with that claim.
    You have 4 issue weapons and a two man team. Two M-9 Berettas, one M-16 and one bolt action M40A! with a 10x Unertl scope. Ain't no bayonet fighting going on.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

4. Thanks crin63 thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Hmmmm ... I would say that if a sniper team is in hand to hand combat with a bayonet, they are probably trying to open their MREs. Otherwise, I would say somebody is telling war stories and a piss poor one at that.

"No shit, there I was ...."
    I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

6. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CSM View Post
    Hmmmm ... I would say that if a sniper team is in hand to hand combat with a bayonet, they are probably trying to open their MREs. Otherwise, I would say somebody is telling war stories and a piss poor one at that.

"No shit, there I was ...."
    All due respect, Sergeant Major, I would think if you got a bayonet and a modified at Quantico Remington Model 700 that don't come with a bayonet lug, you're carrying the wrong damned gear. What the hell are you going to attach it to? A stick? Hope you got duct tape with that useless crap you're humping.

8. Thanks CSM, crin63 thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

All due respect, Sergeant Major, I would think if you got a bayonet and a modified at Quantico Remington Model 700 that don't come with a bayonet lug, you're carrying the wrong damned gear. What the hell are you going to attach it to? A stick? Hope you got duct tape with that useless crap you're humping.
    Ok, that made me laugh.
    I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

10. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

By the way, I always carried some type of knife on me and mostly still do. Didn't always carry a bayonet though....
    Thomas Jefferson

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

By the way, I always carried some type of knife on me and mostly still do. Didn't always carry a bayonet though....
    I always had more blades on me than half the unit. I don't think I've had a bayonet since I was Cpl. ALWAYS had a Ka-Bar. Had a Sykes-Fairbairn on my harness. Spyderco in the pocket. Gerber in the boot (still got that Gerber).

And if all else fails I got a razor in my shave kit. I will shave you to death!.

13. Thanks crin63 thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

I always had more blades on me than half the unit. I don't think I've had a bayonet since I was Cpl. ALWAYS had a Ka-Bar. Had a Sykes-Fairbairn on my harness. Spyderco in the pocket. Gerber in the boot (still got that Gerber).

And if all else fails I got a razor in my shave kit. I will shave you to death!.
    I hope you don't mind since I'm not a Vet.

Great choice of blades Gunny! 4 of my favorite blades. Not sure what happened to my Sykes-Fairbairn. I picked it up in a pawn shop attached to a harness and belt.
    "If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen."
    Samuel Adams

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

15. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

My favorite is my SOG (one of the originals I got way back when); I have a couple of Gerbers and a few Spyderco plus and assortment of whittling knives.
    Thomas Jefferson

17. Thanks crin63 thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by crin63 View Post
    I hope you don't mind since I'm not a Vet.

Great choice of blades Gunny! 4 of my favorite blades. Not sure what happened to my Sykes-Fairbairn. I picked it up in a pawn shop attached to a harness and belt.
    I did not intend this to be exclusive to vets. It was a mini-ha-ha moment. If you're a sniper and in hand to hand combat with a bayo, I hope your SGLI (insurance) is up to date. I was more making fun of the technicalities. Snipers don't carry bayonets. Not in the Corps anyway.

But your input is more than welcome.

19. Thanks crin63 thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

My favorite is my SOG (one of the originals I got way back when); I have a couple of Gerbers and a few Spyderco plus and assortment of whittling knives.
    Those old SOG are some of the best and quite pricey today. I collect knives. For me they started out as tools and moved into love for steel. I have about 40 SOG's. Most are for investment. I have a dozen Spyderco's and a dozen or so Gerbers. Started carrying Benchmade as of late but keep my Spyderco handy. Haven't had to use the Benchmade enough to completely rely on it yet.
    "If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen."
    Samuel Adams

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

21. Thanks Gunny, CSM thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by crin63 View Post
    Those old SOG are some of the best and quite pricey today. I collect knives. For me they started out as tools and moved into love for steel. I have about 40 SOG's. Most are for investment. I have a dozen Spyderco's and a dozen or so Gerbers. Started carrying Benchmade as of late but keep my Spyderco handy. Haven't had to use the Benchmade enough to completely rely on it yet.
    I'll repeat something I previously posted. When First Blood came out all the jarheads needed a Rambo knife. I remember this one guy was so proud of it. The bird took a jerk and the knife went in the drink. I have to admit I busted out LMAO. A hundred bucks was good money in the 80s.

It's night, in a 46, and he wants the pilot to stop and find it. In the damned ocean.

I always have a knife. That's not even a question.

23. Thanks crin63 thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

SOG I own is exactly like this one:220px-SOG_Knife.jpg

Don't much care about the monetary value but there is a bit of sentimental value for me. Doesn't hurt that it is a damn good knife!
    Thomas Jefferson

25. Thanks Gunny, crin63 thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

SOG I own is exactly like this one:

Don't much care about the monetary value but there is a bit of sentimental value for me. Doesn't hurt that it is a damn good knife!
    Such great knives. Here's mine. It's the latest version of it. I completely get the sentimental value. I still have 1st Gerber and Leatherman.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Samuel Adams

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

27. Thanks CSM, Gunny thanked this post