Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)

Default Fixing Stuff

We have been painting our house. We came in from the heat on Wednesday night....and the house was warm inside. I checked the air filter and it was dirty. I changed the air filter and then decided to go back outside and see if the air conditioner thingy outside was running. It was not. I thought maybe the fan motor was stuck or something. So I stuck a stick down in it to see if it would turn. It turned freely. I took the thing off and felt of the fan motor. It was so hot that I could hardly touch it. So, I figured the motor was shorted and was bad.

I went to Grainger the next day and ordered a new fan motor. I also bought a new fan blade as I couldn't get the old one off the motor.

The motor came in on Friday morning and I put it on and now we have air conditioning.

I know that is not a big thing to you guys who work on stuff all the time, but it was the first time I have ever fixed anything involving air conditioning. I am proud of myself!

2. Thanks NightTrain, jimnyc, Bilgerat thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Perianne View Post
    We have been painting our house. We came in from the heat on Wednesday night....and the house was warm inside. I checked the air filter and it was dirty. I changed the air filter and then decided to go back outside and see if the air conditioner thingy outside was running. It was not. I thought maybe the fan motor was stuck or something. So I stuck a stick down in it to see if it would turn. It turned freely. I took the thing off and felt of the fan motor. It was so hot that I could hardly touch it. So, I figured the motor was shorted and was bad.

I went to Grainger the next day and ordered a new fan motor. I also bought a new fan blade as I couldn't get the old one off the motor.

The motor came in on Friday morning and I put it on and now we have air conditioning.

I know that is not a big thing to you guys who work on stuff all the time, but it was the first time I have ever fixed anything involving air conditioning. I am proud of myself!

Good girl!

Remember to turn off the breaker for any electrical appliances like that before you start digging around inside... getting zapped isn't much fun.
    Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

4. Thanks jimnyc thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NightTrain View Post
    Good girl!

Remember to turn off the breaker for any electrical appliances like that before you start digging around inside... getting zapped isn't much fun.
    Thanks. I turned the breaker off and it had a big fuse thingy outside right by the air conditioner. I pulled that out, too. Fried Perianne is not the answer.

6. Thanks jimnyc, NightTrain, Bilgerat thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Well done woman!! A lot of people would be afraid to take something like that on.

I couldn't live without air. And if I had a very hot home and had to wait for repairs, my ass is staying at a frozen hotel room!

8. Thanks Perianne thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    Well done woman!! A lot of people would be afraid to take something like that on.

I couldn't live without air. And if I had a very hot home and had to wait for repairs, my ass is staying at a frozen hotel room!
    It went out on Wednesday night. I ordered the fan motor on Thursday and had to work Thursday night. I picked up the fan motor Friday morning. Of course many things went wrong, like the fan motor was too tall and the fan blades then hit the stuff (compressor?) underneath, so I had to make a spacer for the fan guard so it wouldn't hit the underneath stuff. And of course the motor wires were different color from the previous one, so I had to figure that out. It took me about 4-5 hours to get everything done, but it worked. And I was tired after being awake for about 30 hours.

Women can do stuff, too. It just takes some common sense. I have never been afraid of working on stuff and I learned a lot over the years.

I helped my husband as we built our first house. I had trouble with the big tools, like the heavy hammer, but he took me to the store and bought one my size that I could use. I did wiring, sheetrock, plumbing, and stuff like that, but I had never done air conditioning stuff.

I feel good about my accomplishment. Again, it's not a big thing compared to the stuff men do all the time, but I don't have anyone to do stuff like that for me since my husband died.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)

It went out on Wednesday night. I ordered the fan motor on Thursday and had to work Thursday night. I picked up the fan motor Friday morning. Of course many things went wrong, like the fan motor was too tall and the fan blades then hit the stuff (compressor?) underneath, so I had to make a spacer for the fan guard so it wouldn't hit the underneath stuff. And of course the motor wires were different color from the previous one, so I had to figure that out. It took me about 4-5 hours to get everything done, but it worked. And I was tired after being awake for about 30 hours.

Women can do stuff, too. It just takes some common sense. I have never been afraid of working on stuff and I learned a lot over the years.

I helped my husband as we built our first house. I had trouble with the big tools, like the heavy hammer, but he took me to the store and bought one my size that I could use. I did wiring, sheetrock, plumbing, and stuff like that, but I had never done air conditioning stuff.

I feel good about my accomplishment. Again, it's not a big thing compared to the stuff men do all the time, but I don't have anyone to do stuff like that for me since my husband died.

You're selling yourself short. There's a ton of men that wouldn't have tackled a motor replacement in an AC unit, let alone figure out that it needed to be shimmed for clearance.

I know a guy here in Wasilla that doesn't know how to change his car battery. Or even how to jump start his rig.
    Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

11. Thanks Perianne thanked this post