Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)

Default Arnold Palmer, golf legend, dies at 87

Arnold Palmer, golf legend, dies at 87
    Jay Busbee
    September 25, 2016

The right man at the right time, Arnold Palmer transformed an entire sport and, along the way, became an American legend. Palmer, one of the most famous athletes on the planet and a friend to presidents, kings, and movie stars, died Sunday at the age of 87.

Palmer, the son of a Pennsylvania country club greenskeeper, learned the sport of golf as a youth and perfected his game while at Wake Forest. He turned pro in 1955, winning a tournament in his first year as a professional, and three years later won the Masters.

Six of Palmer’s seven major wins came in a short period, from 1960 to 1964, but that happened to be the exact moment when televised sports first became a national obsession. Palmer’s good looks, humble origins, cheerful demeanor and on-course success combined to make him an early favorite of viewing audiences, and “Arnie’s Army” turned out in force wherever he played.

Palmer’s battles with Jack Nicklaus were instant legend, a rivalry that blossomed into a friendship lasting more than half a century. Along with Gary Player, the men created the foundation for modern golf, and remained connected, visible and vibrant long after their playing days were done.

Palmer was one of the first sports figures to create a vibrant off-course empire. In addition to the products he endorsed – everything from tractors to the famous “Arnold Palmer” drink – Palmer oversaw a thriving course design business and helped found The Golf Channel.

Generations of golfers, from world-class pros to weekend hackers, owe Palmer a debt of gratitude. He was a singular force in American sports, and he’ll be deeply missed.

----------------------
    ---------------------
    I've never played golf, but watched this true gentleman play..
    He was all class.
    A MOST worthy achievement in and of itself IMHO.-TYR
    18 U.S. Code § 2381-Treason Whoever, owing allegiance to the United States, levies war against them or adheres to their enemies, giving them aid and comfort within the United States or elsewhere, is guilty of treason and shall suffer death, or shall be imprisoned not less than five years and fined under this title but not less than $10,000; and shall be incapable of holding any office under the United States.

2. Thanks jimnyc, Elessar thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

I was never any good at golf. I didn't have the patience or technique when I was
    younger and tried to muscle the ball.

Now that I am older, my knee and back cannot handle the torquing to pivot
    and drive.

He was good to watch and a total gentleman.
    I have lost my mind. If found, please give it a snack and return it?

"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same of others"...John Wayne in "The Shootist"

A Deplorable!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Elessar View Post
    I was never any good at golf. I didn't have the patience or technique when I was
    younger and tried to muscle the ball.

Now that I am older, my knee and back cannot handle the torquing to pivot
    and drive.

He was good to watch and a total gentleman.
    My daughter asked me if Palmer was the greatest golfer ever. I told her that Nicklaus and maybe Bobby Jones were the greatest, but Palmer played in an important time in the golf world and brought in a lot of fans.