Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)

Default Sandra Bland

(I looked to see if this has been mentioned anywhere else, but could only find one mention of it by Indago in the cop-hating thread.)

Sandra Bland, a foul-mouthed black woman, was arrested on July 10 by police after what could have been a simple traffic warning. She committed suicide three days later in her jail cell. She was there because no one cared enough about her to bail her out ($500).

Your thoughts?

Apparently, Ms. Bland was trying to put together $500 for a bond payment and none of her family, including her sister Sharon, were willing to assist.

Additionally, NBC in Chicago has found that Ms. Bland had a rather extensive history with driving violations including DUI’s and failure to pay fines associated with at least 10 infractions.

NBC5 Investigates has found that – at the time of her death last Friday — she still owed a total of $7,579.00 in court fines resulting from five traffic stops in various Chicago suburbs (including a DUI), and she had been cited several times for her failure to pay those fines.
    http://theconservativetreehouse.com/2015/07/23/sandra-bland-had-long-history-of-drivinglegal-infractions-family-who-refused-to-assist-with-bail-now-refusing-to-accept-suicide/

Last edited by Perianne; 07-27-2015 at 02:54 AM.

2. Thanks Drummond, Jeff, Tyr-Ziu Saxnot, LongTermGuy thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)

The confrontation with the hateful woman starts at about 9:00.

4. Thanks Drummond, LongTermGuy thanked this post
    Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

Hateful woman? I guess you'd be polite enough to not to swear after being needlessly pulled out of your car.
    If you also agree that an animals suffering should be avoided rather than encouraged, consider what steps you can take.

6. Thanks indago, revelarts thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Perianne View Post
    (I looked to see if this has been mentioned anywhere else, but could only find one mention of it by Indago in the cop-hating thread.)
    Which would be HERE

"cop-hating thread"???

That's Protect and Serve! What's "cop-hating thread" about that?

8. Thanks Drummond, revelarts thanked this post
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

Two thoughts -

First - That cop is a crappy cop. I hope he's fired. She did nothing wrong - nothing warranting arrest or even a traffic stop.

Secondly - I suspect she harmed herself in efforts to bring more anti-cop violence.
    “… the greatest detractor from high performance is fear: fear that you are not prepared, fear that you are in over your head, fear that you are not worthy, and ultimately, fear of failure. If you can eliminate that fear—not through arrogance or just wishing difficulties away, but through hard work and preparation—you will put yourself in an incredibly powerful position to take on the challenges you face" - Pete Carroll.

10. Thanks indago, revelarts thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Noir View Post
    Hateful woman? I guess you'd be polite enough to not to swear after being needlessly pulled out of your car.
    The officer asked her to extinguish her Cigarette. She became argumentative. She refused a lawful order to exit the vehicle at least 6 or 8 times.

The officer drew a NON-LETHAL Device to make her comply.

She finally exited the vehicle.

She Fought the cop, Kicking and trying to elbow him. She did kick him in the leg. A Felony.

Refusal to obey a Lawful Order and Felony assault on a Public Servant.

Alternative solution?

Ms Bland puts out her cigarette, speaks calmly and politely to the officer, signs the warning and goes on her way...

No... she chose to argue and to fight.

And her "Bereaved Family" all refused to pay her minuscule bail of just $500. Leaving her in Jail.

That family is just seeking a pay day. They could care less about Sandra Bland.

12. Thanks Drummond, Jeff, LongTermGuy thanked this post
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Voted4Reagan View Post
    The officer asked her to extinguish her Cigarette. She became argumentative. She refused a lawful order to exit the vehicle at least 6 or 8 times.
    Except being arumentative isn't a reason to affect a arrest or detainment. He was wrong to expect her to comply with his request.

She Fought the cop, Kicking and trying to elbow him. She did kick him in the leg. A Felony.
    Not in defense of a reasonable belief the arrest or detainment was illegal.

Alternative solution?

Ms Bland puts out her cigarette, speaks calmly and politely to the officer, signs the warning and goes on her way...

And her "Bereaved Family" all refused to pay her minuscule bail of just $500. Leaving her in Jail.

That family is just seeking a pay day. They could NOT care less about Sandra Bland.
    No - the officer lost it when he wasn't ass-kissed by the motorist for what was a bullshit stop. The cop escallated this thing.

She killed herself, but the cop instigated the sequence of events. And yes, I believe her family will use this as a 'winning lottery ticket'. And that part's shameful; as or more shameful than the Cop's actions.
    “… the greatest detractor from high performance is fear: fear that you are not prepared, fear that you are in over your head, fear that you are not worthy, and ultimately, fear of failure. If you can eliminate that fear—not through arrogance or just wishing difficulties away, but through hard work and preparation—you will put yourself in an incredibly powerful position to take on the challenges you face" - Pete Carroll.

14. Thanks indago, Kathianne, red state, revelarts thanked this post
    Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

Alternative solution?

That family is just seeking a pay day. They could care less about Sandra Bland.
    even the likes of Fox News and Donald Trump are saying the policeman was out of line.
    If you watch the video and think the policeman acted correctly then IDK what kind of police force you want in your country, but I sure as hell don't want it.
    If you also agree that an animals suffering should be avoided rather than encouraged, consider what steps you can take.

16. Thanks indago, revelarts thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dmp View Post
    Except being arumentative isn't a reason to affect a arrest or detainment. He was wrong to expect her to comply with his request.

No - the officer lost it when he wasn't ass-kissed by the motorist for what was a bullshit stop. The cop escallated this thing.

She killed herself, but the cop instigated the sequence of events. And yes, I believe her family will use this as a 'winning lottery ticket'. And that part's shameful; as or more shameful than the Cop's actions.
    I quote the Texas Penal Code:

Sec. 542.501. OBEDIENCE REQUIRED TO POLICE OFFICERS AND TO SCHOOL CROSSING GUARDS. A person may not wilfully fail or refuse to comply with a lawful order or direction of:
    (1) a police officer; or
    (2) a school crossing guard who:
    (A) is performing crossing guard duties in a school crosswalk to stop and yield to a pedestrian; or
    (B) has been trained under Section 600.004 and is directing traffic in a school crossing zone.

The officer in question issued a lawful order to extinguish her cigarette while she signed the warning ticket. She became argumentative, argued with the officer, the motorist escalated the situation and after repeated requests to comply asked her to step out of the vehicle... he repeated the request several times. He finally drew his non lethal sidearm and ordered her to step out of the vehicle.

The woman violated the LAW of the state of Texas. Kicking the Officer is a FELONY.

Texas Law states under RESISTING ARREST:

TEX PE. CODE ANN. § 38.03 : Texas Statutes - Section 38.03: RESISTING ARREST, SEARCH, OR TRANSPORTATION

(a) A person commits an offense if he intentionally prevents or obstructs a person he knows is a peace officer or a person acting in a peace officer's presence and at his direction from effecting an arrest, search, or transportation of the actor or another by using force against the peace officer or another.

(b) It is no defense to prosecution under this section that the arrest or search was unlawful.

(c) Except as provided in Subsection (d), an offense under this section is a Class A misdemeanor.

(d) An offense under this section is a felony of the third degree if the actor uses a deadly weapon to resist the arrest or search.

TEX PE. CODE ANN. § 22.02 AGGRAVATED ASSAULT

(a) A person commits an offense if the person commits assault as defined in Sec. 22.01 and the person:
    (1) causes serious bodily injury to another, including the person's spouse; or
    (2) uses or exhibits a deadly weapon during the commission of the assault.
    (b) An offense under this section is a felony of the second degree, except that the offense is a felony of the first degree if:

(B) against a person the actor knows is a public servant while the public servant is

lawfully discharging an official duty, or in retaliation or on account of an exercise of

official power or performance of an official duty as a public servant
    ;

Sorry DMP... The woman broke a slew of Laws.

</pre>

18. Thanks Drummond, Jeff, LongTermGuy thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

This one of situations where cop may technically be within law but could handle situation better. When see stuff like this I ask myself if I could have handled different and got better result. I pretty sure I could got woman put out cigarette without what happened. I probably would no ask her to put out anyway but if did could do so without huge fight. That seems what started incident.

Cops good for most part but what I see cause alot unecessary incidents is how they speak to people they pull over and approach. Some have powertrip mentality and talk down to them in demeaning way. That may be within law but start incident off in bad way. When I got out Army I was in law enforcement 13 years. I see many incidents that could ended peacefully if cop handled different. I had different attitude when I was patrolman from most others. I viewed everyone as equals of mine. I no act like I better than them. Many times they act like pendejo but just got to be cool and not jump to extreme emotion. Cops supposed to defuse situation not make worse. I always just be chilled with everyone. Because that almost all my stops ended good and without bad incident. Sometimes you no prevent situation going south but some cops can do much better job at defusing explosive situation.
    If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the results of a hundred battles.

Sun Tzu

20. Thanks indago, Jeff, revelarts thanked this post
    Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

The officer in question issued a lawful order to extinguish her cigarette. She became argumentative, argued with the officer...
    Lawful order?
    Encinia: You mind putting out your cigarette, please? If you don't mind?
    Bland: I'm in my car, why do I have to put out my cigarette?
    Encinia: Well you can step on out now.

He asked her to put it out, if she didn't mind doing so.
    She asked why he was asking her to put out the cigarette.
    He then escalated the situation.

22. Thanks darin, indago, revelarts thanked this post
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

I quote the Texas Penal Code:

Sec. 542.501. OBEDIENCE REQUIRED TO POLICE OFFICERS AND TO SCHOOL CROSSING GUARDS. A person may not wilfully fail or refuse to comply with a lawful order or direction of:
    (1) a police officer; or
    (2) a school crossing guard who:
    (A) is performing crossing guard duties in a school crosswalk to stop and yield to a pedestrian; or
    (B) has been trained under Section 600.004 and is directing traffic in a school crossing zone.

The officer in question issued a lawful order to extinguish her cigarette while she signed the warning ticket. She became argumentative, argued with the officer, the motorist escalated the situation and after repeated requests to comply asked her to step out of the vehicle... he repeated the request several times. He finally drew his non lethal sidearm and ordered her to step out of the vehicle.

The woman violated the LAW of the state of Texas. Kicking the Officer is a FELONY.

Texas Law states under RESISTING ARREST:

TEX PE. CODE ANN. § 38.03 : Texas Statutes - Section 38.03: RESISTING ARREST, SEARCH, OR TRANSPORTATION

(a) A person commits an offense if he intentionally prevents or obstructs a person he knows is a peace officer or a person acting in a peace officer's presence and at his direction from effecting an arrest, search, or transportation of the actor or another by using force against the peace officer or another.

(b) It is no defense to prosecution under this section that the arrest or search was unlawful.

(c) Except as provided in Subsection (d), an offense under this section is a Class A misdemeanor.

(d) An offense under this section is a felony of the third degree if the actor uses a deadly weapon to resist the arrest or search.

TEX PE. CODE ANN. § 22.02 AGGRAVATED ASSAULT

(a) A person commits an offense if the person commits assault as defined in Sec. 22.01 and the person:
    (1) causes serious bodily injury to another, including the person's spouse; or
    (2) uses or exhibits a deadly weapon during the commission of the assault.
    (b) An offense under this section is a felony of the second degree, except that the offense is a felony of the first degree if:

(B) against a person the actor knows is a public servant while the public servant is

lawfully discharging an official duty, or in retaliation or on account of an exercise of

official power or performance of an official duty as a public servant
    ;

Sorry DMP... The woman broke a slew of Laws.

</pre>
    Do me a favor? Point out exactly what you're talking about - the way your fonts look I can't tell exactly what you're trying to say. There's no lawful order to put-out a cig. How's that a 'lawful order'?

And I see the 'no defense' to resist even if it's unlawful. Got it - if that applies here.

What happened is this - copper got butt-hurt and bullied her. It's his job to de-escalate shit.

24. Thanks indago, revelarts thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dmp View Post

As a legally appointed public servant if he requests you to do something... you do it. You don't act belligerent and argumentative thus escalating the situation. If you want to argue the offense... DO IT IN COURT

It is not up to the person being given instructions to decide what is and isn't reasonable.

Once again... when an officer tells you to do something, you do it. Had she not been argumentative and belligerent, Put out the cigarette, Listened to the officer explain the warning to her and just complied with his request... she would have been on her way and all would have been okay in her world. She verbally confronted him, refused a dozen requests he made to put out the cigarette and get out of the car and finally exited the vehicle when threatened with non-lethal force. The more you argue with an officer the more likely he is to become suspicious that you are doing something.

She killed herself, but the cop instigated the sequence of events.

No.. she instigated it by refusing a Lawful order on a dozen occasions and then assaulting the officer and resisting arrest. She was the architect of her own problems.

And yes, I believe her family will use this as a 'winning lottery ticket'.And that part's shameful;

We agree on this point
    as or more shameful than the Cop's actions.

NO.. The cop was polite and was just going to issue a warning. He did his job. Nothing shameful about it. We get it DMP... you dont think cops have a right to tell you what to do.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Noir View Post
    You be polite if you want to cash in after the fact. Always ask: How would this look to a civil jury?
    Experienced Social Distancer ... waaaay before COVID.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

The cop asked her to extinguish the cigarette, she chose not to. THAT is what escalated the situation. He was wrong.

From what I've heard and read, he was going to issue a WARNING, after the cigarette incident the situation whole issue became a power of wills.

The cop was wrong, they are held to a higher standard and in this case, she wasn't out of line. A jerk? Certainly. So was the cop.

I see more of a anti-smoke cop than racist. He also has a bit of power trip problem. He should be gone.

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

28. Thanks darin, revelarts thanked this post