Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Default Serious question for OCA

How did you go from a solid conservative back in the day - to what is seemingly a liberal today? How did your values change over the years? I'm just curious, as I've watched you go from a far right conservative, to now being very supportive over the years to liberals and speaking yourself support for liberal ideas.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    How did you go from a solid conservative back in the day - to what is seemingly a liberal today? How did your values change over the years? I'm just curious, as I've watched you go from a far right conservative, to now being very supportive over the years to liberals and speaking yourself support for liberal ideas.
    Believe it or not, some people people actually get smarter as they get older.

On a more serious note, I agree with you. I remember when I was on USMB in 2005 (and it was 2005. I went and looked it up), OCA would be one of those kicking my butt for my views, which were much more radical than they are today.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I told you earlier....2008/09.....bailouts etc etc

I will never put those lying leeches in charge of an economy again.

Plus ill ask you a question, Repubs had the W.H. 200-2008 and both houses of Congress for a while now, name 1 issue that conservatives have been on the winning end? Iow how have Repubs done anything to legislate? Have Repubs done anything other than gum up the system lately?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gabosaurus View Post
    Believe it or not, some people people actually get smarter as they get older.

On a more serious note, I agree with you. I remember when I was on USMB in 2005 (and it was 2005. I went and looked it up), OCA would be one of those kicking my butt for my views, which were much more radical than they are today.

I am a "give credit whete credit is due" person nowadays and i don't see much credit in today's version of conservatism.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OCA View Post
    I told you earlier....2008/09.....bailouts etc etc

I will never put those lying leeches in charge of an economy again.

Plus ill ask you a question, Repubs had the W.H. 200-2008 and both houses of Congress for a while now, name 1 issue that conservatives have been on the winning end? Iow how have Repubs done anything to legislate? Have Repubs done anything other than gum up the system lately?
    So ONE issue turned you into a foaming at the mouth liberal that trolls against conservatives or those leaning right?

Yes, the republicans have royally screwed us all for a long time now, hence me wanting to change term limits and a LOT of them need to go and we need to restart. But hell, that doesn't mean that my ideals changed and what I want for my country has changed.

6. Thanks Drummond thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

So ONE issue turned you into a foaming at the mouth liberal that trolls against conservatives or those leaning right?

Yes, the republicans have royally screwed us all for a long time now, hence me wanting to change term limits and a LOT of them need to go and we need to restart. But hell, that doesn't mean that my ideals changed and what I want for my country has changed.
    Sorry, i feel like i was wrong when i look back. Maybe it's age i don't know.

It's like i heard on that lockup show one night, they were interviewing this old white guy like 60 yrs old, been in most of his life, no gang tats,stuck mostly to himself, they asked him how he makes it....."i don't have the energy or time to hate a whole group, i can only hate 1 sumbitch at a time" and that's how i feel, like the minute i heard Dem or lib i immediately went on the attack and did not listen. Once you get past the rhetoric there is value in both ideologies but that is the problem, America is almost all rhetoric.

Btw where did i flame? You know whst i consider flaming is dif maybe

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Sorry, i feel like i was wrong when i look back. Maybe it's age i don't know.

It's like i heard on that lockup show one night, they were interviewing this old white guy like 60 yrs old, been in most of his life, no gang tats,stuck mostly to himself, they asked him how he makes it....."i don't have the energy or time to hate a whole group, i can only hate 1 sumbitch at a time" and that's how i feel, like the minute i heard Dem or lib i immediately went on the attack and did not listen. Once you get past the rhetoric there is value in both ideologies but that is the problem, America is almost all rhetoric.

Btw where did i flame? You know whst i consider flaming is dif maybe
    I didn't say you flamed buddy. I think often when folks pop in out of nowhere, and look for answers and laugh about the current situations, I see that as a little bit of 'trolling'. It's cool of course or folks wouldn't be here, big difference between that and someone flaming left and right looking to start fights.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

I didn't say you flamed buddy. I think often when folks pop in out of nowhere, and look for answers and laugh about the current situations, I see that as a little bit of 'trolling'. It's cool of course or folks wouldn't be here, big difference between that and someone flaming left and right looking to start fights.
    When there are a dozen conservatives on the board and only a couple of liberals, what the liberals say is going to cause fights. It's not "flaming" or "trolling." It's political discourse. Disagreement is not flaming.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

You know i went to Greece back in july and compated to what they got going on there our problems aren't shit.

If you got a mil euros or if you got a hundred euros in the bank you can only take out 60 a day, no credit going around to speak of......that's a real problem.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

When there are a dozen conservatives on the board and only a couple of liberals, what the liberals say is going to cause fights. It's not "flaming" or "trolling." It's political discourse. Disagreement is not flaming.
    Timing and context is everything. If you literally don't pop into here until the day after the election, and then start posting electorate numbers talking about 'dealing with it' or what not, that would be trolling.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Believe me Gab it's been that way since 2004 USMB, i know, i was part of the lynch mob.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Believe me Gab it's been that way since 2004 USMB, i know, i was part of the lynch mob.
    Not so, you were a conservative for a lot longer than 2004.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Not so, you were a conservative for a lot longer than 2004.
    I didn't say just 2004, that was when i joined.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)

I am a "give credit whete credit is due" person nowadays and i don't see much credit in today's version of conservatism.
    I'm not getting any real sense of any 'principled stand' from you. Instead, what I do see is a 'sour grapes' reaction to a single period you happened not to like.

Political philosophies are ultimately right or wrong. They stand the test of time. They define you, as a person ... IF you have enough personal principle to hang on to them, not only out of loyalty, but out of a conviction of their superiority. Of their being RIGHT, and provably so.

Back in my teens, I had a certain sense of my own worth .. of what defined me. My own sense of right v wrong. I made the mistake of allying myself with the Left, thinking that THEY were the political expression of my own sense of political being.

But time proved me wrong. I didn't let one single episode decide things for me .. I observed an entire age of tyranny, borne out of an application of political principle which, when applied to the real world, translated into mayhem and suffering.

I observed its opposition come along, and fix those wrongs. I saw that it was the way forward.

I remained true to my core being throughout, but what changed was my understanding of what political direction was RIGHT, and which one was WRONG. My loyalties have therefore been shaped, and have been rewarded over time.

I see nothing of that in what you describe for yourself. I see no grounding. No loyalty. No core beliefs being served at all. Either you always were a creature of the Left, or, you were never a Conservative of any real substance.

It's actually sad.
    It's That Bloody Foreigner Again !!!

16. Thanks SassyLady thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Drummond View Post
    Political philosophies are ultimately right or wrong. They stand the test of time. They define you, as a person ... IF you have enough personal principle to hang on to them, not only out of loyalty, but out of a conviction of their superiority. Of their being RIGHT, and provably so.
    "Right or wrong" is decided by which side of the road you end up on. You are a staunch conservative. You hold on to those values and believe they are right.
    I am on the other side of the street and believe you are wrong. Your convictions are not my convictions. Your proof of being right is contrary to mine. The only thing we share is our right to be stubborn and obstinate in retaining our respective points of view.

18. Thanks OCA thanked this post