Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Default Dang browser running slow

Latest version of Firefox of course. Last week or so has been dragging, and eating up all my memory while in use. As a dumb technician, I tried every avenue. Re-installed with a new profile. Of course cleaned her up with all the temp crap, cookies and anything else I could delete that wasn't needed. Cleaned up the entire PC in addition, just in case. I disabled some of my Firefox add-ons, and even deleted some and then re-installed. Upgraded the latest version of Adobe flash player.

I thought all along it was just the latest version causing this, and likely had to wait for the next update. Still pissed me off though, as it sucks to be THAT slow.

So I ran all of my utilities. Then I read something elsewhere - and downloaded 'Malwarebytes' again, which I've used many times but always delete. You only get 15 days for free, so no need to keep it.

It found 1 issue, some 'backdoor agent' in my registry!! I think it was probably the NSA, but who knows.

It seems MUCH faster since, so I'm crossing my fingers!!
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    Latest version of Firefox of course. Last week or so has been dragging, and eating up all my memory while in use. As a dumb technician, I tried every avenue. Re-installed with a new profile. Of course cleaned her up with all the temp crap, cookies and anything else I could delete that wasn't needed. Cleaned up the entire PC in addition, just in case. I disabled some of my Firefox add-ons, and even deleted some and then re-installed. Upgraded the latest version of Adobe flash player.

I thought all along it was just the latest version causing this, and likely had to wait for the next update. Still pissed me off though, as it sucks to be THAT slow.

So I ran all of my utilities. Then I read something elsewhere - and downloaded 'Malwarebytes' again, which I've used many times but always delete. You only get 15 days for free, so no need to keep it.

It found 1 issue, some 'backdoor agent' in my registry!! I think it was probably the NSA, but who knows.

It seems MUCH faster since, so I'm crossing my fingers!!
    I had Firefox at first, but got tired of all of the roll-overs on the homepage, so
    I switched to Chrome.
    I have lost my mind. If found, please give it a snack and return it?

"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same of others"...John Wayne in "The Shootist"

A Deplorable!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Elessar View Post
    I had Firefox at first, but got tired of all of the roll-overs on the homepage, so
    I switched to Chrome.
    I had installed Chrome a bunch of times now, but always end up tossing it, maybe I'll try again. When I got to task manager when I installed it, it had like 10 different instances of it running always. I dunno, just never gave it a fair shake. I may try a few of them today. I'm a FFaholic though, been dedicated to FF since like 2000 or so!
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

I had installed Chrome a bunch of times now, but always end up tossing it, maybe I'll try again. When I got to task manager when I installed it, it had like 10 different instances of it running always. I dunno, just never gave it a fair shake. I may try a few of them today. I'm a FFaholic though, been dedicated to FF since like 2000 or so!
    FF used to be really good...a damn sight better than IE. But they started filling it
    with pop-ups and roll-overs, so I shit canned it in favor of Chrome.
    I have lost my mind. If found, please give it a snack and return it?

"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same of others"...John Wayne in "The Shootist"

A Deplorable!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

That wasn't the problem and the slowness returned. So it's off to trying new browsers!! I tried a bunch, but believe it or not, the best thus far is the native Microsoft Edge here on Windows 10. It's got a much smaller footprint all the way around. This is with both browsers running at the same time and you can see how Edge takes up much less resources. Maybe it's temporary until FF gets the fix in...

But it's weird, like the dang browser acts like it's an app on a telephone. It even has a store you go to in order to get apps, of which most seem to be if you are using it with a phone. I dunno. And there's not a ton to add to the browser. I had a few add-ons with Firefox that I won't have here. I think anything is going to feel weird until I get used to it is all.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)

Stop resisting and get Chrome, you noob!

And I wouldn't trust Edge.... or IE 2.0, either.
    Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

7. Thanks SassyLady thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NightTrain View Post
    Stop resisting and get Chrome, you noob!

And I wouldn't trust Edge.... or IE 2.0, either.
    Ok, I'm in! I'll use Chrome for a bit and see if it can convince me.

Right off the bat? I now have that issue with the keyboard that everyone else was having! LOL

9. Thanks NightTrain thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)

Ok, I'm in! I'll use Chrome for a bit and see if it can convince me.

Right off the bat? I now have that issue with the keyboard that everyone else was having! LOL
    Now that you've got the problem, it'll get fixed! Yay me!

Be sure you get adblocker for that, and I use Domain Blocker too - really speeds everything up exponentially when my machine isn't talking to 400 advertising sites keeping track of my nefarious internet activity.
    Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

NT fucked my life up!

Was up half the night playing with chrome, setting it up just right. Then I need to hunt for extensions, and get the things I was used to with Firefox. Some just aren't available, so the hunting is not too easy thus far! But simply changing a browser after 15 years isn't as easy as you would think! I had to nag him and call at like 7:30 this morn though, so we're even.

12. Thanks NightTrain thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Our system includes Firefox, Ad Block Plus, Domain Block, Malware Pro, Spy Blaster, Ghost Secure and an IP blocker. My laptop browser runs fairly quickly at home because their are no conflicts.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gabosaurus View Post
    Our system includes Firefox, Ad Block Plus, Domain Block, Malware Pro, Spy Blaster, Ghost Secure and an IP blocker. My laptop browser runs fairly quickly at home because their are no conflicts.
    But you must be actually using "Chrome" instead of Firefox, no? I just started using "Domain Block", the extension, which is for Chrome. I can't see it anywhere for FF, but could be wrong, didn't know of that extension until today, having had switch to Chrome.

Ad block plus is a must for everyone, regardless of browser choice. I don't know malware pro, but any software for cleaning viruses and malware is a good choice. Is that actually "Malwarebytes"?

The rest shows that someone is awfully worried about their browsing history and tracks.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

But you must be actually using "Chrome" instead of Firefox, no? I just started using "Domain Block", the extension, which is for Chrome. I can't see it anywhere for FF, but could be wrong, didn't know of that extension until today, having had switch to Chrome.
    Ad block plus is a must for everyone, regardless of browser choice. I don't know malware pro, but any software for cleaning viruses and malware is a good choice. Is that actually "Malwarebytes"?
    The rest shows that someone is awfully worried about their browsing history and tracks.
    I am not sure if Domain Block is the proper name. It is something to do with internet domains.
    Malware Pro is the paid version of Malwarebytes.
    My husband handles the finances of some very wealthy people. So he is extremely concerned about internet security.