Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)

Default Let's talk about Fake News...

By now everyone knows about the outcome of the first Michael Slager trial here in Charleston...

But did you hear about the protests? Did you see the pictures?

Here, courtesy of NBC's The Today Show:

NBC and The Today Show ran is photo to show the people of Charleston taking to the streets to protest the mistrial verdict. Apparently the truth just didn't make for good copy:

That's right...

They issued an apology today, offered no explanation as to how a photo of a Baltimore protest about Freddie Gray from 2015 could have possibly been mistaken for Charleston 2016...

How about they needed optics to better fit their narrative and the calm, restrained demeanor of the people of Charleston didn't work?
    "I am allergic to piety, it makes me break out in rash judgements." - Penn Jillette
    "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with a lot of pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
    "The man who invented the telescope found out more about heaven than the closed eyes of prayer ever discovered." - Robert G. Ingersoll

2. Thanks Kathianne, NightTrain thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Fake news has been around for quite a while now.
    When I went to NYC to protest the Bush inauguration in 2004, I found out first hand how desperate the news media are to create news and scoop each other.
    Of all the protests I have been to, about 90 percent of them are peaceful. News people run around in a desperate search for the other 10 percent.
    Police were working 12-hour shifts without meal breaks. Protestors and delegates alike bought them food and drink. That never ended up on the news. A newspaper cameraman offered me money to throw a rock through a store window.

You want to know why fake news exists? Advertisers like it because people read it. Pretty sad that people believe fake news more than real stories.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gabosaurus View Post
    Fake news has been around for quite a while now.
    When I went to NYC to protest the Bush inauguration in 2004, I found out first hand how desperate the news media are to create news and scoop each other.
    Of all the protests I have been to, about 90 percent of them are peaceful. News people run around in a desperate search for the other 10 percent.
    Police were working 12-hour shifts without meal breaks. Protestors and delegates alike bought them food and drink. That never ended up on the news. A newspaper cameraman offered me money to throw a rock through a store window.

You want to know why fake news exists? Advertisers like it because people read it. Pretty sad that people believe fake news more than real stories.
    Did you accept the money?

Fake news exists because SENSATION sells...and virtually all 'journalists" (a loose term) want a scoop
    or have wet dreams of earning a Pulitzer.
    I have lost my mind. If found, please give it a snack and return it?

"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same of others"...John Wayne in "The Shootist"

A Deplorable!