Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)

Default Sad News this Christmas: George Michael dead at 53

Just breaking, no details yet.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-38432862
    "I am allergic to piety, it makes me break out in rash judgements." - Penn Jillette
    "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with a lot of pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
    "The man who invented the telescope found out more about heaven than the closed eyes of prayer ever discovered." - Robert G. Ingersoll

2. Thanks jimnyc thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)

"I am allergic to piety, it makes me break out in rash judgements." - Penn Jillette
    "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with a lot of pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
    "The man who invented the telescope found out more about heaven than the closed eyes of prayer ever discovered." - Robert G. Ingersoll

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

And on Christmas Day. How sad. I liked ONE song by Wham when I was like 13 years old. Nothing else again after that.

Was there something wrong with him? They say he "died peacefully" at home, as if it were expected.
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

5. Thanks Drummond thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    And on Christmas Day. How sad. I liked ONE song by Wham when I was like 13 years old. Nothing else again after that.

Was there something wrong with him? They say he "died peacefully" at home, as if it were expected.
    Reports have varied on our media. First, no details. Then, a report saying he'd died, and there were 'no suspicious circumstances' involved. Following that, a report from his agent (this just a couple of hours later) to say he died from heart failure.

As I type, that's been amended to 'SUSPECTED' heart failure (LBC News)

I seem to recall that at one time he was heavily into drug usage ? Maybe that weakened his heart, making him prone to an early death.

It'll be interesting to see if they have to perform a post mortem examination (I'd imagine they would). If so ... this makes the previous statements premature ones .. suggesting a known precondition ?

Time will tell, of course.

I can't speak for the American perception of this -- but over here, we've been struck by the great number of celebrity deaths there've been in 2016 ... far more than is normal in a year. I say 'the American perception', because some of them have been British, so maybe it'll seem more apparent to us than to you.

George Michael is the latest. Other celebrities known to us would be ...

Alan Rickman (film actor)
    David Bowie (singer / performer)
    Ronnie Corbett (comedian)
    Rick Parfitt (guitarist)
    Paul Daniels (magician / comedian)
    Sir Terry Wogan (radio and TV presenter)
    Jimmy Young (radio host)
    Victoria Wood (comedienne)
    Frank Kelly (actor: 'Father Ted')
    Douglas Wilmer (actor: best known for his portrayal of Sherlock Holmes)
    Tom Allin (cricketer)
    Sian Blake (soap actress - 'EastEnders')

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-36108133
    Last edited by Drummond; 12-26-2016 at 05:41 AM.
    It's That Bloody Foreigner Again !!!

7. Thanks KarlMarx, Tyr-Ziu Saxnot thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

By a just a coincidence, yesterdany, my son and I were listening to a Christmas song on Pandora that he recorded in the 80's. He wanted to know who the singer was.. I told him that he was famous in the 80's but over the past few years, the only time you seemed to hear of him was when he had run ins with the law over drug use or public indecency.

Considering the drug use he had over the past few years, I have to wonder if it was that. Perhaps he smoked?

Just the same, it's a shame he had to die so young.
    Last edited by KarlMarx; 12-26-2016 at 06:42 AM.
    How do you tell a Communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an anti-Communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin. - Ronald Reagan

9. Thanks Drummond thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

Not to be crude, but was he the one caught having sex in a public park men's room? Or was that Boy George?

And Drummond, we feel the same here about all the deaths. Particularly it seems like so many are dying from heart failure. Or maybe I am just sensitive to that now...
    After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box - Author unknown

“Unfortunately, the truth is now whatever the media say it is”
    -Abbey

11. Thanks Gunny, Tyr-Ziu Saxnot, Drummond thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    371 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Abbey View Post
    Not to be crude, but was he the one caught having sex in a public park men's room? Or was that Boy George?

And Drummond, we feel the same here about all the deaths. Particularly it seems like so many are dying from heart failure. Or maybe I am just sensitive to that now...
    I was going to let someone else say it first, Abs.

While you may be sensitive to the heart thing now, the fact is, these celebs like coke. It can kill you the first time you try it. It's been the drug of choice since the 80s.

But who knows? Dude was gay or bi or whatever. So there's no telling.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

13. Thanks Abbey Marie thanked this post
    Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

Nice to see lots of stories circulating about his chrarity and giving - writing of strangers debts etc, hopefully that kinda thing goes on a lot more than we hear.
    If you also agree that an animals suffering should be avoided rather than encouraged, consider what steps you can take.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Noir View Post
    Nice to see lots of stories circulating about his chrarity and giving - writing of strangers debts etc, hopefully that kinda thing goes on a lot more than we hear.
    I didn't even know about it until reading a story this morning, that apparently he was VERY generous with some charities. And he nor they ever bragged about them. His lifestyle was a little weird for me, but he was a good man from all that I know.
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    371 Post(s)

Clue: He has been irrelevant since the 80s. He had 2 good songs I am aware of. He's not American so we don't keep up with what he does in his off time. I didn't even remember he existed.

Speculating on his lifestyle choices is no different than you denigrating us for our lifestyle choices (as in we eat meat like normal people). I honestly rarely participate in RIP threads. Pickings as far as posts go are slim over the holidays. When you don't have a life, like me, you have to get creative. I honestly could care less about the dude.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

No one gives a rats ass about his charity. Only about his sex life and his drug use.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Black Diamond View Post
    No one gives a rats ass about his charity. Only about his sex life and his drug use.
    Put me in the 'gives a rats ass about his charity' group (:
    If you also agree that an animals suffering should be avoided rather than encouraged, consider what steps you can take.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    371 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Black Diamond View Post
    THAT made me laugh. No sh*t. You would think living in the papparazi capitol of the universe, that was a given. What the crap do we know about George Michael? Oh yeah. He had a hit song as a member of Wham around 84.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

He brings me back to the 80's and when I first started getting into music, and high school! Lotsa memories!! Do I "care" about him? Not really, but still sad to see another go. And I was a little happier when I read about his charity giving. Nice to know some folks like that exist, that give and don't want notoriety about it.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    371 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    He brings me back to the 80's and when I first started getting into music, and high school! Lotsa memories!! Do I "care" about him? Not really, but still sad to see another go. And I was a little happier when I read about his charity giving. Nice to know some folks like that exist, that give and don't want notoriety about it.
    High school in the 80s? THAT explains a few things.

I honestly know nothing about the guy except for those songs when I was already a Cpl and you were in high school. And I would have to qualify "charity" by which ones. We all have our differences. I wish Alyssa Milano would lose her voice. The ASPCA is a bureaucracy to tival the US Govt. Most of their money goes to them. As an example.