Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Default My childhood hero

How do you win 4 super bowls while playing in Pittsburgh and then not like them later in life? HOW do you play for them, and then become a New Orleans Saints fan?

Terry Bradshaw was my idol growing up. I think I've changed it to a guy who is younger than me in Big Ben. Bradshaw has more or less hated Pittsburgh since he left. I never cared much, but he's getting worse and worse as he ages. He obviously has some issues with his former team.

-----

Terry Bradshaw tells reporters 'If Pittsburgh loses, I still sleep good'

Despite leading the Pittsburgh Steelers to four Super Bowl victories in the 70’s, Terry Bradshaw has always had a strained relationship with the city he played for. Perhaps it was because Chuck Noll did not give him enough hugs when he was the quarterback of his team, as Bradshaw alluded to in the NFL Network’s “A Football Life” documentary, or perhaps it was because he did not feel the love of the city in his early years.

Whatever the reason, Bradshaw has consistently remained distant from the franchise, turning down chances to return to Pittsburgh for events celebrating the Steelers of the Steel Curtain era and even the funeral for Noll back in 2014.

After speaking his mind on “cheerleader” head coach Mike Tomlin recently, Bradshaw tried to downplay those comments on Wednesday at a Fox Sports event to promote the upcoming Super Bowl. Although, in classic Bradshaw style, he managed to dig an even deeper hole for himself when speaking to the media and reported by Rob Owen of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.

“Listen, I’m in the business of saying things, giving opinions. I’m not going to stop because Mike Tomlin ‑‑ and I played in Pittsburgh. I’m not going to back off. I did it to Ben Roethlisberger when he got the motorcycle crash. My job is not to hide from what I say, you know. Be a little bit better. … Shouldn’t have said the cheerleader part, but life moves on.”

When asked if he thought Tomlin was a great coach, Bradshaw was still not ready to put that tag on him, at least not in any way that was meaningful.

“There’s only one great coach in the NFL, and that’s that coach up in New England. That’s a great coach. If ‘great’ is the word that you’re looking for and I present them the trophy, I promise it will be tongue‑in‑cheek, and you’ll pick up on it: ‘Mike Tomlin, congratulations. You’re a great coach. You just won your second Super Bowl. What do you think? Are we buddies now?’ I don’t think so but, you know ‑‑ maybe I would.”

In what might be the most disappointing part of Bradshaw’s comments, he saved the most hurtful for last. While generations of fans grew up loving “The Blonde Bomber” and the Steelers, the affection is not reciprocated for his old team. Bradshaw makes no effort to hide the fact he is a New Orleans Saints fan, his hometown team.

“I made it clear the Saints are my team, there’s my love interest, and everybody else is fair game if they screw up. … I pull more for people [than teams]. If Pittsburgh loses, I still sleep good.”

Sadly while Steeler Nation bleeds the real black and gold, their hero from the 70’s bleeds a different shade altogether.

http://steelerswire.usatoday.com/201...ll-sleep-good/
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

He owes Pittsburgh for enabling his accomplishments there, and any coach who cheats, by definition, is not even close to great.
    Finally, I only wish my Giants could have Mike Tomlin.

What a buffoon.
    After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box - Author unknown

“Unfortunately, the truth is now whatever the media say it is”
    -Abbey

3. Likes jimnyc liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Abbey View Post
    He owes Pittsburgh for enabling his accomplishments there, and any coach who cheats by definition is not even close to great.
    Finally, I only wish my Giants could have Mike Tomlin.

What a buffoon.
    It's hard for me to go after him. I wanted a full size helmet with his signature on it, that's been a gift I wanted since I was like 10 years old. It took me like 20 years but I finally bought me a helmet which cost a fortune. You can mail things to the players at the stadiums for signatures, but he's not there anymore. I could probably send it to the station, but was too afraid I would never get it back. Plus, the more I learn, he may get it and refuse!!

But he has had a bad taste in his mouth over Coach Noll, and then leaving Pittsburgh. But damn, the city LOVED this man, and most still do. But he won't go to events - where the stadium would lose their collective minds if he walked out on the field again. But his hatred has grown worse. That sucks. Don't take it out on the team, the fans, future players and coaches, that's just dumb.

You can't have Tomlin though!! I wanted Bruce Arians to get the gig back when Cowher left. But now that I've gotten to know Tomlin, and listen to EVERY weekly presser, and see how smart he is, and how kind, I love him as a coach!! Chuck Noll is still my favorite though.
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

5. Likes Abbey Marie liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    It's hard for me to go after him. I wanted a full size helmet with his signature on it, that's been a gift I wanted since I was like 10 years old. It took me like 20 years but I finally bought me a helmet which cost a fortune. You can mail things to the players at the stadiums for signatures, but he's not there anymore. I could probably send it to the station, but was too afraid I would never get it back. Plus, the more I learn, he may get it and refuse!!

But he has had a bad taste in his mouth over Coach Noll, and then leaving Pittsburgh. But damn, the city LOVED this man, and most still do. But he won't go to events - where the stadium would lose their collective minds if he walked out on the field again. But his hatred has grown worse. That sucks. Don't take it out on the team, the fans, future players and coaches, that's just dumb.

You can't have Tomlin though!! I wanted Bruce Arians to get the gig back when Cowher left. But now that I've gotten to know Tomlin, and listen to EVERY weekly presser, and see how smart he is, and how kind, I love him as a coach!! Chuck Noll is still my favorite though.
    Bradshaw was and is an ungrateful dumbass. He was useless until Pittsburg built a team around him. Chuck Noll hated him and he hated the team. Noll would bench his ass in a second.

And I have his rookie card, jerk. What you willing to pay? I'd have to find it but I know I got it somewhere.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

How do you win 4 super bowls while playing in Pittsburgh and then not like them later in life? HOW do you play for them, and then become a New Orleans Saints fan?

Terry Bradshaw was my idol growing up. I think I've changed it to a guy who is younger than me in Big Ben. Bradshaw has more or less hated Pittsburgh since he left. I never cared much, but he's getting worse and worse as he ages. He obviously has some issues with his former team.
    What is intriguing is that Pittsburgh fans still love Bradshaw. He is a part of their history. They are mystified such a prominent member of the Steel Curtain would turn their back on him.
    My favorite Ultimate Steelers Fan, who still has relatives back in Pittsburgh, believes Bradshaw can't get over the current love and devotion to current QB Ben Roethlisberger. And how many Steelers fans believe Roethlisberger is a better QB than Bradshaw.
    Which is ignorant and misguided. You don't hear Troy Aikman or Roger Staubach complaining about Tony Romo.

From what I hear, Noll IS the Steelers. Same way Bill Belichick is the Patriots.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gabosaurus View Post
    What is intriguing is that Pittsburgh fans still love Bradshaw. He is a part of their history. They are mystified such a prominent member of the Steel Curtain would turn their back on him.
    My favorite Ultimate Steelers Fan, who still has relatives back in Pittsburgh, believes Bradshaw can't get over the current love and devotion to current QB Ben Roethlisberger. And how many Steelers fans believe Roethlisberger is a better QB than Bradshaw.
    Which is ignorant and misguided. You don't hear Troy Aikman or Roger Staubach complaining about Tony Romo.

From what I hear, Noll IS the Steelers. Same way Bill Belichick is the Patriots.
    That is incorrect. Bradshaw's hate affair with the Steelers precedes Big Ben by decades. His problem was with Chuck Noll. And I think I herard he though he wasn't treated fairly by the organization. Whatever.

He was the worst QB in the NFL his first year. He got benched a lot. Terry Hanratty and Joe giliam got as many snaps. It was due to HIS inability. The Steel Curtain made that team. Not Bradshaw. They were like me ... if you can't score on me you ain't doing jack. It begins and ends right here.

The team made Bradshaw. He didn't make the team.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
    Bradshaw was and is an ungrateful dumbass. He was useless until Pittsburg built a team around him. Chuck Noll hated him and he hated the team. Noll would bench his ass in a second.

And I have his rookie card, jerk. What you willing to pay? I'd have to find it but I know I got it somewhere.
    Bradshaw was an over-rated yet successful over achiever.

Had it not been for his excellent offensive line and that superb defense, Bradshaw would be an aforethought.
    Last edited by Elessar; 01-13-2017 at 12:40 AM.
    I have lost my mind. If found, please give it a snack and return it?

"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same of others"...John Wayne in "The Shootist"

A Deplorable!

10. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Elessar View Post

Had it not been for his excellent offensive line and that superb defense, Bradshaw would be an aforethought.
    I loved the games with them and the Raiders early 70s. I wanted to shoot every Raider on the team. Twice.

My hero is Jack Lambert. That dude is so me it ain't funny. Or else I am so him. I played LB just like him. Your head's coming off, every play. No options available. He would kill you every play.

I do still have my front teeth though.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

I loved the games with them and the Raiders early 70s. I wanted to shoot every Raider on the team. Twice.

My hero is Jack Lambert. That dude is so me it ain't funny. Or else I am so him. I played LB just like him. Your head's coming off, every play. No options available. He would kill you every play.

I do still have my front teeth though.
    You would have loved Sam Huff or Ray Nitschke

"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same of others"...John Wayne in "The Shootist"

A Deplorable!

13. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

You would have loved Sam Huff or Ray Nitschke
    I love both of those guys. I have their football cards too.
    And if you want to go real old school, Chuck Bednarik and Dick Butkus, Don't come around here. Clock cleaning in progress. I also remember the Fearsome Foursome from the Rams.

The Cowboys were the worst. Want to talk heroes? Bob Lilly. Mid to late 60s. Might as well make your game plan around him. You ain't running left. Unless you like being buried by a Texas redneck.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

I love both of those guys. I have their football cards too.
    And if you want to go real old school, Chuck Bednarik and Dick Butkus, Don't come around here. Clock cleaning in progress. I also remember the Fearsome Foursome from the Rams.

The Cowboys were the worst. Want to talk heroes? Bob Lilly. Mid to late 60s. Might as well make your game plan around him. You ain't running left. Unless you like being buried by a Texas redneck.
    Bob Lilly was a beast. Proto-type defensive tackle and sometimes end!

A Deplorable!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gabosaurus View Post

That is incorrect. Bradshaw's hate affair with the Steelers precedes Big Ben by decades. His problem was with Chuck Noll. And I think I herard he though he wasn't treated fairly by the organization. Whatever.

He was the worst QB in the NFL his first year. He got benched a lot. Terry Hanratty and Joe giliam got as many snaps. It was due to HIS inability. The Steel Curtain made that team. Not Bradshaw. They were like me ... if you can't score on me you ain't doing jack. It begins and ends right here.

The team made Bradshaw. He didn't make the team.
    Bradshaw may not be the hugest Big Ben fan, but he does give him kudos when deserved. But his problem started with Noll, and him not liking how Noll treated him like an employee, and less of a friend, and no "hugs". As for the comparison - I absolutely love Ben, and think he's one of the best in the league... but until he wins 4 bowls and 2 MVP's, Bradshaw gets the nod. Ben has been to 3, lost one, 0 MVP's.

And yep, he was guided by the Curtain. BUT, he did develop into a great QB, and had some of the best stats in SB history.

Terry Hanratty - worked in the GM building in New York when I was there. Got him to sign a bunch of things for me.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

I hate you!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

I hate you!!
    That does not startle me! I hate everybody equally.

Steelers were always one of my favorites,
    I like them.

Lambert, Hamm, Joe, etc.

A Deplorable!

19. Likes jimnyc liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

I'm thinking of making the leap....

So my brother john, he's sent a bunch of football cards out in the past of some players, to their stadiums requesting a signature - and they actually signed and sent it back, since he sent pre-paid postage/handling. Imagine sending my helmet and getting a couple of signatures, or even just Ben? Or would they perhaps just toss it out I wonder. That's the worst case, and I guess I can always just buy another. But man, if I were to get Ben, Brown and Bell to sign it? That sucker would be me prized possession for life and not sold EVER!!