Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default The Music Industry CONTINUES to Not Get It.

A Seattle restaurant is among more than two dozen venues swept up in a music-licensing crackdown for allegedly failing to pay royalties to play copyrighted music in public.

Without a special license, owners of bars, clubs and restaurants could be sued for playing any one of 8 million recorded songs, even from their own CDs.

The American Society of Composers, Authors and Publishers (ASCAP) says that equates to performing copyrighted music without permission, and the group is going after local businesses that haven't paid them for the privilege.

On Monday, ASCAP said it had filed 26 separate infringement actions against nightclubs, bars and restaurants in 17 states. Among them is a lawsuit in U.S. District Court in Seattle against the Ibiza Dinner Club downtown.

The group sued to spread the word that performing such music without permission is a federal offense, said Vincent Candilora, ASCAP senior vice president for licensing.
    http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...royalty01.html

We've surpassed wtf levels and are now screaming along towards pure insanity.
    God bless America, but she stole the "b" from bless.

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

What. A. Crock. Of. Horseshit. This actually motivates one to pursue illegal music options, instead of feeding the sky-net type of organizations like this, and RIAA.
    “… the greatest detractor from high performance is fear: fear that you are not prepared, fear that you are in over your head, fear that you are not worthy, and ultimately, fear of failure. If you can eliminate that fear—not through arrogance or just wishing difficulties away, but through hard work and preparation—you will put yourself in an incredibly powerful position to take on the challenges you face" - Pete Carroll.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)

Make sure you all get your "special license" before your next party or bbq. I don't want to be reading about your lawsuits in the near future. And don't roll down the windows in your car while you have a cd playing, that could spell trouble as well.
    "I am allergic to piety, it makes me break out in rash judgements." - Penn Jillette
    "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with a lot of pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
    "The man who invented the telescope found out more about heaven than the closed eyes of prayer ever discovered." - Robert G. Ingersoll

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

This is disgusting. The government really needs to go after these scumbags. Nobody's making any money off the music, they're sharing it for large groups of people to enjoy. I guess the RIAA will be happy when we have to live our lives in complete silence.
    Free the West Memphis 3.... http://www.wm3.org

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

This country is getting completely out of hand!

I mean come on

A DJ who is sent music from these sources to play for promotional purposes, or basically get it out on the street so people can hear it and want to buy it. Are going to be sued for not having a license to play it! WTF ok yeah let me run right out and by a license to play this music, but wait, I have never heard this song before, so I don't know if it's any good, therefore I don't know if the crowd I am playing for will like it or hate it!

But hold on what about the DJ's who mix and make there own stuff from 2 or 3 different songs and add their own beats into it. Who owns the license on that?
    You get more with a kind word and a two by four, than you do with just a kind word. ~ Gaffer

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

The only music I have purchased for years has been through Apple's music store.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Simply retarded.

I think that artists of all types need to get in on this.

Imagine buying a painting or photograph and not being able to hang it up in a public place.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

The library of Congress tried to raise the royalties paid by online radio to astronomical proportions and almost got away with it....

http://www.savenetradio.org

I think the music/entertainment industry is definitely two faced....

their big stars are all for high taxes, property redistribution, and all that liberal feel good nonsense until someone starts threatening their cash flow...

then they are all for capitalism

the problem is that they don't like competition, either.... so they get the government to do their dirty work for them
    How do you tell a Communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an anti-Communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin. - Ronald Reagan

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

when have they ever gotten it?

Quote Originally Posted by The ClayTaurus View Post
    http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...royalty01.html

We've surpassed wtf levels and are now screaming along towards pure insanity.