Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Default Time for another doggy?

My wife and son were apparently out walking the other day and came across someone walking their dog, and they stopped to pet him and say hello. He was a mutt, but apparently cute as hell. ALL dogs are pretty much cute. So my son asked where they got the dog and he said it was a rescue from the pound. My son put the wife on the spot and asked her about doing the same - she actually said maybe!! And then he nagged.... and tomorrow we are all going to the same place I adopted Nero from!!! NO WAY in hell she lets me do that and come home without rescuing one. So I think we may have a new addition tomorrow....

I just want to rescue any dog, so long as he doesn't have a fatal problem, or is too awfully old. Need time to love one before he goes away.

I recall reading this when Jerome passed. Part of me said I would never get a dog again, because I was hurting so much. It still hurts. And this makes me bring a tear still at this moment. But my Pug was the most fantastic dog on earth and I know for sure he would do exactly this!!!

------

Before humans die, they write their last will and testament, giving their home and all they have to those they leave behind. If, with my paws, I could do the same, this is what I’d ask…

To a poor and lonely stray, I’d give my happy home; my bowl and cozy bed, soft pillow and all my toys; the lap, which I loved so much; the hand that stroked my fur; and the sweet voice that spoke my name.

I’d will to the sad, scared, shelter dog the place I had in my human’s loving heart, of which there seemed no bounds.

So, when I die, please do not say, “I will never have a pet again, for the loss and the pain is more than I can stand.

”Instead, go find an unloved dog, one whose life has held no joy or hope, and give my place to him.This is the only thing I can give…The love I left behind. – Author Unknown
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

2. Thanks Kathianne thanked this post
    Likes Balu, Kathianne liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

And as gay as this may sound, not a single toy of Jerome's left this house. His bed is still here, and in it's place. I kinda always figured I would let another use his stuff someday.
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

4. Likes Kathianne liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    And as gay as this may sound, not a single toy of Jerome's left this house. His bed is still here, and in it's place. I kinda always figured I would let another use his stuff someday.
    You mean Montmorency from 'Three Men in a boat'?
    Indifferent alike to praise or blame
    Give heed, O Muse, but to the voice Divine
    Fearing not injury, nor seeking fame,
    Nor casting pearls to swine.
    (A.Pushkin)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Balu View Post
    You mean Montmorency from 'Three Men in a boat'?
    Sorry!
    I understood what you meant...
    (A.Pushkin)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

I already think I found one!!! They have pictures and a short video!! His name is Sammy, and he's 2 years old. A mix of "Shepherd & Catahoula Leopard Dog"

8. Likes Balu liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Needs plenty of outside exercise and prefers to be the only dog. Keep looking as he doesn't sound your type.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves and wiser people so full of doubts. Bertrand Russell

10. Thanks jimnyc, Kathianne, Abbey Marie thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sundaydriver View Post
    Needs plenty of outside exercise and prefers to be the only dog. Keep looking as he doesn't sound your type.
    Oh man, I'm such a dumbass!! I posted the pics and the video - even watched the video of course!! But my headphones are plugged in and I didn't listen, thought it was silent video. But you're correct of course, me and a dog that needs constant exercise and jogging - he would likely eat me from lack of exercise!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

I must say, I looked at that dog and thought, 'Active, very active.'

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

Jim, I'm going to advocate for Nero. Please choose a dog that is easy going and will not terrorize a cat. There are breeds that are better at getting along than others. Nero has no escape.
    After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box - Author unknown

“Unfortunately, the truth is now whatever the media say it is”
    -Abbey

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kathianne View Post
    I must say, I looked at that dog and thought, 'Active, very active.'
    "If a dog (and a child) is not active, he is ill." - A saw.
    Last edited by Balu; 01-14-2017 at 11:52 AM.
    (A.Pushkin)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Abbey View Post
    Jim, I'm going to advocate for Nero. Please choose a dog that is easy going and will not terrorize a cat. There are breeds that are better at getting along than others. Nero has no escape.
    Yup, the above guy was ruled out. Jordan's top pick is a 1 year old Spaniel Mix, who apparently loves other dogs and people. But the wifey knows that anything that may come home has to be friendly with cats. Nero is the baby of the house and will always get preferential treatment!! He LOVES ALL people, and anyone who should visit, and we don't want him to change a bit.

16. Likes Abbey Marie liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Here's Jordan's choice, his name is Hank.

18. Likes Balu liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

The black spots on the tongue make me wonder if he's part Chow. (Chow tongues are all black). Just a guess, though. Chows can be aggressive.
    After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box - Author unknown

“Unfortunately, the truth is now whatever the media say it is”
    -Abbey

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

They just texted me as they left - it's a bust. But that's ok, it was me telling them that it MUST be a dog that gets along with other dogs AND cats already.

But at least I got the woman thinking about it now. And I DO know that newborns are MUCH better in getting them to get along with others. So maybe when I charge $3,000 on my Amex to get that French Bulldog, she may not be very mad?

21. Thanks Abbey Marie, Kathianne thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

I like getting a rescue dog, too many are put down. Can't be 'just any dog,' no matter how dire the circumstances. Julia Roberts was a 'saved dog' and is a purebred with papers. Whomever owned her was not nice people, she was aggressive. At her ripe old age, she has mellowed, but we knew from the get go that she had to be watched around smaller children and any other animals. As a pup she'd take on any dog, regardless of size. The big ones just kind looked at her as crazy, but she was certainly annoying.

Some dogs are just more aggressive than others, dachshunds being on the higher end of that scale. I certainly wouldn't put her with a cat, especially one that likes to 'surprise' their canine friend. LOL! I like that Julia only needs to go out twice a day, BUT she needs to be walked 8-10 blocks, it has to do with her digestive system. She is not a dog you can just let out in the yard, even if fenced-she will escape. In Chicago area, even the city, coyotes are an issue to any cats and dogs under 15 lbs or so.

I think families need to take into account their family and the dogs needs. Great Danes actually need less walking, but more room to roam that a dachshund for instance. They go out much more frequently and need more human interaction than some other dogs, that can just jump on your lap or snuggle at your feet. They need to chase a ball or toy for long periods-which doesn't work out in smaller homes. Retrievers need to run and run, along with other active breeds. They will tear up your house if no one wants to take them for their runs and it's not the dog's fault.

At this stage of my life, I'd love to get a smaller dog. One that likes to walk and not pull to hard on a leash if she sees a rabbit or squirrel. I'm not keen on 'yipping dogs.' Julia would go nuts when someone knocked or rang the bell, but never just because people were walking by. She'd bark at the mailman, but not delivery people if they just left the package down, go figure. She lives in an apartment now, she barks from the 3rd floor at the mail truck, but not the neighbors coming or going in the apartment across. Again, go figure. LOL!

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

23. Likes jimnyc liked this post