Quote Originally Posted by Kathianne View Post
I like getting a rescue dog, too many are put down. Can't be 'just any dog,' no matter how dire the circumstances. Julia Roberts was a 'saved dog' and is a purebred with papers. Whomever owned her was not nice people, she was aggressive. At her ripe old age, she has mellowed, but we knew from the get go that she had to be watched around smaller children and any other animals. As a pup she'd take on any dog, regardless of size. The big ones just kind looked at her as crazy, but she was certainly annoying.

Some dogs are just more aggressive than others, dachshunds being on the higher end of that scale. I certainly wouldn't put her with a cat, especially one that likes to 'surprise' their canine friend. LOL! I like that Julia only needs to go out twice a day, BUT she needs to be walked 8-10 blocks, it has to do with her digestive system. She is not a dog you can just let out in the yard, even if fenced-she will escape. In Chicago area, even the city, coyotes are an issue to any cats and dogs under 15 lbs or so.

I think families need to take into account their family and the dogs needs. Great Danes actually need less walking, but more room to roam that a dachshund for instance. They go out much more frequently and need more human interaction than some other dogs, that can just jump on your lap or snuggle at your feet. They need to chase a ball or toy for long periods-which doesn't work out in smaller homes. Retrievers need to run and run, along with other active breeds. They will tear up your house if no one wants to take them for their runs and it's not the dog's fault.

At this stage of my life, I'd love to get a smaller dog. One that likes to walk and not pull to hard on a leash if she sees a rabbit or squirrel. I'm not keen on 'yipping dogs.' Julia would go nuts when someone knocked or rang the bell, but never just because people were walking by. She'd bark at the mailman, but not delivery people if they just left the package down, go figure. She lives in an apartment now, she barks from the 3rd floor at the mail truck, but not the neighbors coming or going in the apartment across. Again, go figure. LOL!
I'm trying my best to talk her/them into a smaller dog myself. I want the French Bulldog badly! I definitely don't think a dog that needs a TON of exercise is a good fit for us. I would also LOVE to get a Doxie, but not if it will eat Nero if he jumps out to scare it!