Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Balu View Post
    Another excellent thread. Thank you again, NT!
    Some of your pics show the places and landscapes very similar to those of Finland and Northern parts of Russia.
    I have one question - when traveling to the Northern part of Alaska have you ever tasted the traditional cuisine of the Aleuts and Eskimos - dishes of stroganina (slices of frozen fish or meat served cold)?
    You're welcome! Glad you enjoyed.

No, I definitely steer clear of traditional native dishes like Muktuk or fermented Beaver tail & feet, or whale. There's lots of horror stories floating around with white guys trying out traditional dishes and the resulting explosive reactions or even hospital visits. I'm of German descent and my biology isn't tuned to such foodstuffs.

Besides, the thought of burying Beaver tail & feet in the ground for a few weeks, then digging it up and eating it strikes me as very repulsive!

I'll stick to hamburgers, pizza and steak.
    Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NightTrain View Post
    You're welcome! Glad you enjoyed.

No, I definitely steer clear of traditional native dishes like Muktuk or fermented Beaver tail & feet, or whale. There's lots of horror stories floating around with white guys trying out traditional dishes and the resulting explosive reactions or even hospital visits. I'm of German descent and my biology isn't tuned to such foodstuffs.

Besides, the thought of burying Beaver tail & feet in the ground for a few weeks, then digging it up and eating it strikes me as very repulsive!

I'll stick to hamburgers, pizza and steak.
    It is a pity. On the contrary, I always taste local cuisine wherever I find myself, no matter how exotic they may be for Russians.
    Americans have a good saying - "See America first!', and I am glad that you have the possibility to travel, see everything yourself and acquaint the others with what you've seen. It is a good basis for further comparisons. And in this respect I am very lucky man as before starting 'traveling' abroad I saw Russia from Carpathians to Kamchatka, from the Arctic areas with there 'White Nights' to Turkmenian deserts and Pamir mountains.
    Indifferent alike to praise or blame
    Give heed, O Muse, but to the voice Divine
    Fearing not injury, nor seeking fame,
    Nor casting pearls to swine.
    (A.Pushkin)