Quote Originally Posted by Abbey View Post
NT, since you have unusual experience in doing telecom work in difficult/hardy places, maybe you do some temp work in a far different place. Like Ushuaia, or the Brazilian jungle?
For a change of pace.
And a fat salary...
I almost took a job in the Virgin Islands a few years ago, but the money wasn't there and we couldn't agree. Still, it was tempting because of the whole 'tropical paradise' thing and those beaches were gorgeous.

I wouldn't mind doing jobs in other remote locations, but our base of operations is here and logistics is a huge part of doing successful jobs. So, if there were a job in Brazil on a lonely mountain, I wouldn't know who the players are to get the job done, such as the best helicopter outfit or reliable freight carriers. Another big part of doing jobs in 3rd world countries is knowing who to bribe to make things go smoothly.

My biggest reluctance to do jobs in tropical areas is my fear of snakes. I can deal with grizzlies all day long and be comfortable in their turf, but snakes are treacherous. Spiders don't bother me, but the possibility of being bitten by a snake give me the heebie jeebies.