Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)

Default Lumber Haulers R Us

Got another load of lumber to haul up on snowmachines... and I have to get it all moved upriver on Saturday.

212 2x6s at 3400#... I'm guesstimating 3 or 4 trips, depending on how the trail is. It's getting pretty warm during the day, so it's entirely possible that we won't be able to get this up on the river - this load may just end up sitting in my driveway until May & hauled up in the boat.

I'll know the answer in about 4 hours... this pic was taken at my buddy's house. He'll be coming up later, we're going to launch up to Talkeetna and scout the river to the cabin to verify trail conditions.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by NightTrain; 03-24-2017 at 01:07 PM.
    Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

2. Thanks Kathianne, Abbey Marie, Russ, jimnyc thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Wow, made me tired looking at that load! Got lots of help again?

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kathianne View Post
    Wow, made me tired looking at that load! Got lots of help again?
    Just 4 of us here now... 3 others joining us tomorrow morning and the freighting will begin in earnest.

Trail is in great shape, got the stove beating off the chill now and I'm having a frosty one. Life is good.

5. Thanks Kathianne thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NightTrain View Post
    Just 4 of us here now... 3 others joining us tomorrow morning and the freighting will begin in earnest.

Trail is in great shape, got the stove beating off the chill now and I'm having a frosty one. Life is good.
    Have fun! Work hard, play hard!

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

7. Thanks Abbey Marie, Russ, NightTrain thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

I'm not much help at the physical stuff, but I'd make coffee and hot chocolate and Manhattans for the ride!
    After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box - Author unknown

“Unfortunately, the truth is now whatever the media say it is”
    -Abbey

9. Thanks Kathianne, NightTrain thanked this post
    Likes Russ liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Abbey View Post
    I'm not much help at the physical stuff, but I'd make coffee and hot chocolate and Manhattans for the ride!
    Sounds great! I will be glad to sample a Manhattan, and then post pictures of me enjoying it by the fire, for NT to enjoy later in the thread.
    Last edited by Russ; 03-25-2017 at 05:27 PM.
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 - A wise man's heart directs him to the right, but a foolish man's heart directs him to the left.
    Wise men don't need advice, and fools won't take it - Ben Franklin
    "It's not how you start, it's how you finish."

11. Thanks Kathianne, NightTrain thanked this post
    Likes Abbey Marie liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

I still SO cannot wait to hit Alaska for my first time ever, and coming to your cabin, buddy!! I'll tell you right now though, my ass doesn't do lumber.

I am very good at barking orders though, even if everyone just ignores me. I'll wander on down by the water with a rod in hand. Any winter fishing there?
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

13. Thanks NightTrain thanked this post
    Likes Abbey Marie liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)

Mission was a success... buddy ended up changing plans and coming up Friday night, so we met him down at the launch about 10 pm and it was about 2 am before we got back to the cabin with the first load.

Got everything hauled up and tarped off, didn't break any equipment and everyone had a good time. Got a few video clips of the freighting in action that may be interesting for you guys.

...and a shot of McKinley poking up yesterday on the way down to the trucks. This is the one that 0bama so graciously renamed for us to Denali.

15. Thanks Kathianne thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)

And my son's first Big Boy load pulling a 100# propane bottle up with the 440 Trail.

17. Thanks Kathianne, Abbey Marie thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)

72/73 DEGREES HERE TODAY.
    NO LUMBER O HAUL, BUT A VERY SICK SON TO CARE FOR SINCE FRIDAY, EAR, THROAT INFECTION AND --MONO- TOO!
    Just found out about the mono- this morn at the doc;s office..Been treating him just for the ear and throat infections since Saturday doc visit and since his temp ranging up to 105.8. Rushed back to the doc this morn found the mono.. was causing the high temperatures..
    He saw your great pics and the snow-- and said, I d like to be there right now!
    I have Australia first and Alaska second as places to visit on my bucket list..
    Maybe someday, I will make it..
    Take it easy my friend, hard work is for tha young folks...--Tyr
    18 U.S. Code § 2381-Treason Whoever, owing allegiance to the United States, levies war against them or adheres to their enemies, giving them aid and comfort within the United States or elsewhere, is guilty of treason and shall suffer death, or shall be imprisoned not less than five years and fined under this title but not less than $10,000; and shall be incapable of holding any office under the United States.

19. Thanks Kathianne, NightTrain, Abbey Marie thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tyr-Ziu Saxnot View Post
    72/73 DEGREES HERE TODAY.
    NO LUMBER O HAUL, BUT A VERY SICK SON TO CARE FOR SINCE FRIDAY, EAR, THROAT INFECTION AND --MONO- TOO!
    Just found out about the mono- this morn at the doc;s office..Been treating him just for the ear and throat infections since Saturday doc visit and since his temp ranging up to 105.8. Rushed back to the doc this morn found the mono.. was causing the high temperatures..
    He saw your great pics and the snow-- and said, I d like to be there right now!
    I have Australia first and Alaska second as places to visit on my bucket list..
    Maybe someday, I will make it..
    Take it easy my friend, hard work is for tha young folks...--Tyr
    Hope he's better soon! Kind of young to get mono? My younger son got it in I think 7th grade, not serious bout, just a week off school and if memory serves, 2 months with no sports or gym-nearly killed him.

Daughter got it in jr. year, right before finals-had to make everything up in the fall. She was sick-sick for a month, sleeping and temperature spikes. Then it was over 6 months before she really was recovered, no need to fight with her about sports and running.

21. Thanks Tyr-Ziu Saxnot thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kathianne View Post
    Hope he's better soon! Kind of young to get mono? My younger son got it in I think 7th grade, not serious bout, just a week off school and if memory serves, 2 months with no sports or gym-nearly killed him.

Daughter got it in jr. year, right before finals-had to make everything up in the fall. She was sick-sick for a month, sleeping and temperature spikes.
    Then it was over 6 months before she really was recovered, no need to fight with her about sports and running.
    Thanks Kat... I am hoping that desperately, I am getting too old ( I HIT THE BIG 63 THIS MONTH) to deal with this methinks, rushing him into tubs of water, FIVE TIMES IN TWO DAYS, to bring high temps down got me frazzled..
    Wow, your kids had it bad, with such long recovery spells. We were hoping Justin could be back in private school by Thursday morning..
    He got shots this morning and is taking two antibiotic meds already. -TYR
    18 U.S. Code § 2381-Treason Whoever, owing allegiance to the United States, levies war against them or adheres to their enemies, giving them aid and comfort within the United States or elsewhere, is guilty of treason and shall suffer death, or shall be imprisoned not less than five years and fined under this title but not less than $10,000; and shall be incapable of holding any office under the United States.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tyr-Ziu Saxnot View Post
    Thanks Kat... I am hoping that desperately, I am getting too old ( I HIT THE BIG 63 THIS MONTH) to deal with this methinks, rushing him into tubs of water, FIVE TIMES IN TWO DAYS, to bring high temps down got me frazzled..
    Wow, your kids had it bad, with such long recovery spells. We were hoping Justin could be back in private school by Thursday morning..
    He got shots this morning and is taking two antibiotic meds already. -TYR
    Well the son's was 'mild,' but it causes some internal organs to swell-thus very vulnerable to serious injuries-thus the long period of no sports. The daughter's was very serious, she'd first had strep then came the mono.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Because it's been literally years, looked up:

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-c...t/txc-20165946

Treatment

By Mayo Clinic StaffPrint

There's no specific therapy available to treat infectious mononucleosis. Antibiotics don't work against viral infections such as mono. Treatment mainly involves bed rest, good nutrition and drinking plenty of fluids.
    Medications

• Treating secondary infections. Occasionally, a streptococcal (strep) infection accompanies the sore throat of mononucleosis. You may also develop a sinus infection or an infection of your tonsils (tonsillitis). If so, you may need treatment with antibiotics for these accompanying bacterial infections.
    • Risk of rash with some medications. Amoxicillin and other penicillin derivatives aren't recommended for people with mononucleosis. In fact, some people with mononucleosis who take one of these drugs may develop a rash. The rash, however, doesn't necessarily mean that they're allergic to the antibiotic. If needed, other antibiotics that are less likely to cause a rash are available to treat infections that may accompany mononucleosis.

Here's why they keep the sports stuff out of bounds:

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-c...s/dxc-20165844

Complications

• Enlarged spleen

Complications of mononucleosis may be more serious than the disease itself.
    Enlargement of the spleen

Mononucleosis may cause enlargement of the spleen. In extreme cases, your spleen may rupture, causing sharp, sudden pain in the left side of your upper abdomen. If such pain occurs, seek medical attention immediately — you may need surgery.
    Liver issues

Problems with your liver also may occur:

• Hepatitis. You may experience mild liver inflammation (hepatitis).
    • Jaundice. A yellowing of your skin and the whites of your eyes (jaundice) also occurs occasionally.