Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Default USS Eisenhower

Holy crap!! Watch this guy after the cable breaks, and then his plane falls into the ocean - or does it? DAMN!

Arresting Cable Breaks on USS Eisenhower - 8 Sailors Injured

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.liveleak.com/ll_embed?f=19d2cc4d99f0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

jim. I remember that. It was last year. Landing gear cables on carriers are supposed to be replaced after every 100 landings. That IS the most dangerous place to be in the navy. Everybody working has to have their HEAD on a swivel all the time.
    By the way. EVERY plane that lands must go to FULL POWER until they are captured by the wire. That is what saves every pilot, and plane. If they fail to go to FULL POWER...they end up in the drink.
    Last edited by aboutime; 04-04-2017 at 04:00 PM.
    I love to make Liberals Cry, and Whine.
    So, this is for them.
    GOD BLESS AMERICA - IN GOD WE TRUST !

3. Thanks jimnyc, Gunny thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by aboutime View Post
    jim. I remember that. It was last year. Landing gear cables on carriers are supposed to be replaced after every 100 landings. That IS the most dangerous place to be in the navy. Everybody working has to have their HEAD on a swivel all the time.
    By the way. EVERY plane that lands must go to FULL POWER until they are captured by the wire. That is what saves every pilot, and plane. If they fail to go to FULL POWER...they end up in the drink.
    We lost a bird off San Onofre. Lost a 46 and crew. There's no room for error. Crap, this one pilot knocked the top off the Seawhiz doing night landing while we were on the smoke deck (fantail). Way to ruin it for US. They unlit the smoking lamp.

I could never figure out which would hurt worse ... going in the drink or landing in those 4" steel cables.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
    We lost a bird off San Onofre. Lost a 46 and crew. There's no room for error. Crap, this one pilot knocked the top off the Seawhiz doing night landing while we were on the smoke deck (fantail). Way to ruin it for US. They unlit the smoking lamp.

I could never figure out which would hurt worse ... going in the drink or landing in those 4" steel cables.

I only did one COD flight during all my years. Not a landing, but a takeoff. I think I'd rather have those cables stop me. Hitting the water must be like hitting a brick wall at 100 mph. Either way. As the old movies used to say "CURTAINS!"
    I love to make Liberals Cry, and Whine.
    So, this is for them.
    GOD BLESS AMERICA - IN GOD WE TRUST !

6. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by aboutime View Post
    I only did one COD flight during all my years. Not a landing, but a takeoff. I think I'd rather have those cables stop me. Hitting the water must be like hitting a brick wall at 100 mph. Either way. As the old movies used to say "CURTAINS!"
    I used to stand at the rail and look down at those cables and be like "that crap's gonna hurt". Getting sucked under the props was not a viable option. I think the word is screwed.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

8. Thanks aboutime thanked this post