Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Default Gonna Be A Good Week

My brother and sister-in-law are driving from the airport in Phoenix right now. Will be here until next Friday morning and I lucked out, boss let me take 2 floating holidays, so I'll only be working Sunday and Thursday while they're here!

We don't have all our plans finalized, but the one definite is on Tuesday:

https://verdecanyonrr.com/

My SIL is a bit fussy, so we're going:

First-class passage, accommodating fewer passengers than coach, includes spacious living room-style seating near panoramic windows. Other amenities include a Champagne toast upon boarding, full-service cash-bars presenting premium liquors, service at your seat and a variety of complimentary appetizers.
    We are really hoping to see the eagles:

https://verdecanyonrr.com/journey/wildlife/

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

2. Thanks Abbey Marie thanked this post
    Likes SassyLady, jimnyc liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Those excursions sound like a really good time.
    I have lost my mind. If found, please give it a snack and return it?

"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same of others"...John Wayne in "The Shootist"

A Deplorable!

4. Thanks Kathianne thanked this post
    Likes Kathianne liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)

"Guests, like fish, begin to smell after three days." - Benjamin Franklin
    "I am allergic to piety, it makes me break out in rash judgements." - Penn Jillette
    "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with a lot of pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
    "The man who invented the telescope found out more about heaven than the closed eyes of prayer ever discovered." - Robert G. Ingersoll

6. Thanks Black Diamond thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)

Enjoy! I want to do the train ride someday so looking forward to your review.
    If the freedom of speech is taken away
    then dumb and silent we may be led,
    like sheep to the slaughter.

George Washington (1732-1799) First President of the USA.

8. Thanks Kathianne thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hjmick View Post
    "Guests, like fish, begin to smell after three days." - Benjamin Franklin
    Nah, they are staying at a resort in Sedona, about 20 minutes away! They shower, regularly.
    Last night we met to get them 'alcohol, now!' then continued onto Sedona. I drank coffee and Vitamin Water, they relaxed! Seems the brilliant brother is much the same as me in our old age. He woke at 3, went to work until noon, then raced to get SIL and onto the airport. They lost 2 hours coming here, couldn't understand why he was dragging.

Even some of the highways go down to 1 lane in each direction. There was an accident that backed up for 2.5 miles. Luckily when the police came, it was up one ramp, down the other. Still it added 1/2 hour or so.

They called around 9, we'd decided to do breakfast at 'the famous Coffee Pot' which is one of my favorites. Then to Safeway to pick them up some breakfast and lunch stuff. By the time we got groceries put away, it was after 1. We went to The Copper Museum in Clarkdale, which was surprisingly educational and interesting. I seriously did NOT know that 'Old Ironsides,' The USS Constitution's Hull was not covered with iron, but copper. We then went to an art festival in Old Towne Cottonwood. There was a decent band and some interesting art, along with jewelry. SIL picked up a copper and sterling bracelet, she was happy. We to Church, which on Saturday EVERY Catholic knows is supposed to be 1/2 hour to 45 minutes-tops. Seriously an hour and 15 minutes! My friend was meeting us for dinner, so as soon as 'Peace be with you,' texted her and said, "Be there in 15." Great Mexican place. We were talking politics, including Chicago. Jim said something about the police, boom. A Cottonwood cop and State Trooper start talking to us, across the restaurant. The fraternity of police... LOL!

Tomorrow our plan is to head to Prescott after I get off work and trail walk. Unless we decide to just hang at the pool. Monday or Wednesday we're thinking Grand Canyon, Tues is reserved for train tour. Whichever day we don't go, we plan to drive through Oak Creek and onto Flagstaff. Thursday is when we're likely to do the pool. Friday morning they leave around 9. It's been fun so far, not going to dread them leaving until Thursday night.

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

10. Likes hjmick, jimnyc liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SassyLady View Post
    I'll let you know, if it's as good as I've heard, maybe I'd do it again!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kathianne View Post
    Nah, they are staying at a resort in Sedona, about 20 minutes away! They shower, regularly.
    Last night we met to get them 'alcohol, now!' then continued onto Sedona. I drank coffee and Vitamin Water, they relaxed! Seems the brilliant brother is much the same as me in our old age. He woke at 3, went to work until noon, then raced to get SIL and onto the airport. They lost 2 hours coming here, couldn't understand why he was dragging.

Even some of the highways go down to 1 lane in each direction. There was an accident that backed up for 2.5 miles. Luckily when the police came, it was up one ramp, down the other. Still it added 1/2 hour or so.

They called around 9, we'd decided to do breakfast at 'the famous Coffee Pot' which is one of my favorites. Then to Safeway to pick them up some breakfast and lunch stuff. By the time we got groceries put away, it was after 1. We went to The Copper Museum in Clarkdale, which was surprisingly educational and interesting. I seriously did NOT know that 'Old Ironsides,' The USS Constitution's Hull was not covered with iron, but copper. We then went to an art festival in Old Towne Cottonwood. There was a decent band and some interesting art, along with jewelry. SIL picked up a copper and sterling bracelet, she was happy. We to Church, which on Saturday EVERY Catholic knows is supposed to be 1/2 hour to 45 minutes-tops. Seriously an hour and 15 minutes! My friend was meeting us for dinner, so as soon as 'Peace be with you,' texted her and said, "Be there in 15." Great Mexican place. We were talking politics, including Chicago. Jim said something about the police, boom. A Cottonwood cop and State Trooper start talking to us, across the restaurant. The fraternity of police... LOL!

Tomorrow our plan is to head to Prescott after I get off work and trail walk. Unless we decide to just hang at the pool. Monday or Wednesday we're thinking Grand Canyon, Tues is reserved for train tour. Whichever day we don't go, we plan to drive through Oak Creek and onto Flagstaff. Thursday is when we're likely to do the pool. Friday morning they leave around 9. It's been fun so far, not going to dread them leaving until Thursday night.

Are you in Flagstaff or Phoenix I see no mention of a visit to In-N-Out Burger...
    "I am allergic to piety, it makes me break out in rash judgements." - Penn Jillette
    "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with a lot of pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
    "The man who invented the telescope found out more about heaven than the closed eyes of prayer ever discovered." - Robert G. Ingersoll

13. Likes jimnyc liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Are you in Flagstaff or Phoenix I see no mention of a visit to In-N-Out Burger...
    Have settled about 20 miles south of Sedona, which is about 30 miles south of Flagstaff. Phoenix is too hot! LOL! If it weren't for winter, I'd like Flagstaff.

The high desert is really beautiful and I'm adjusting to warmer weather.

Someday I'm going to check out In-and Out Burger, but I've yet to find one outside of greater Phoenix area, which I've really only gone to for airport and then in a rush.
    Last edited by Kathianne; 04-23-2017 at 06:40 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)

Have settled about 20 miles south of Sedona, which is about 30 miles south of Flagstaff. Phoenix is too hot! LOL! If it weren't for winter, I'd like Flagstaff.

The high desert is really beautiful and I'm adjusting to warmer weather.

Someday I'm going to check out In-and Out Burger, but I've yet to find one outside of greater Phoenix area, which I've really only gone to for airport and then in a rush.

There's one in Prescott...

And last July they announced plans to build one in Flagstaff...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

There's one in Prescott...

And last July they announced plans to build one in Flagstaff...
    Then I will keep an eye out. It's funny but it seems when I go to either, I've nearly always got a friend or more in tow. Then it seems we look for someplace 'different' that we can have lunch or dinner. Fast food never is in the running. Perhaps today with brother and SIL they'll consider, though SIL is a bit of fast food phobic. LOL!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

Sounds great, Kath. I really need to get out west someday.
    After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box - Author unknown

“Unfortunately, the truth is now whatever the media say it is”
    -Abbey

18. Thanks Kathianne thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SassyLady View Post
    You've never been on a train? Interesting. That's how we traveled in the 60s. We only flew if it was on orders and the military was paying. Flying was a luxury back then.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Abbey View Post
    Sounds great, Kath. I really need to get out west someday.
    Would be thrilled to have you. The place they'ree at is great, close but secluded. Nicer kitchen than mine! Pool right by their condo.
    Last edited by Kathianne; 04-23-2017 at 09:31 AM.

21. Thanks Abbey Marie thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)

Then I will keep an eye out. It's funny but it seems when I go to either, I've nearly always got a friend or more in tow. Then it seems we look for someplace 'different' that we can have lunch or dinner. Fast food never is in the running. Perhaps today with brother and SIL they'll consider, though SIL is a bit of fast food phobic. LOL!

There's fast food, then there's In-N-Out...

23. Thanks Kathianne thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

There's fast food, then there's In-N-Out...
    Yummy

25. Thanks Kathianne thanked this post