Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)

Would have been cheaper in the long run to charter a private jet for every person on that plane by the time this is all finished.

Gramps used to tell me : "Boy, a good education is never cheap!".
    Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

2. Thanks Kathianne thanked this post
    Likes Kathianne liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NightTrain View Post
    Would have been cheaper in the long run to charter a private jet for every person on that plane by the time this is all finished.

Gramps used to tell me : "Boy, a good education is never cheap!".
    Indeed, it certainly would have been cheaper to have chartered a plane for the flight crew or put them on another flight for full fares. However, the airline had the 'right' to do this at the time. They've been doing so for years, though not literally beating up a paying customer. My guess is we're now going to see new rules about both 'overbooking' and 'bumping for flight crews.'

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kathianne View Post
    Indeed, it certainly would have been cheaper to have chartered a plane for the flight crew or put them on another flight for full fares. However, the airline had the 'right' to do this at the time. They've been doing so for years, though not literally beating up a paying customer. My guess is we're now going to see new rules about both 'overbooking' and 'bumping for flight crews.'
    Soon to be followed by higher fares for everyone.
    After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box - Author unknown

“Unfortunately, the truth is now whatever the media say it is”
    -Abbey

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Abbey View Post

People can choose how to travel. The costs should be what they are. Considering that United has been making 10's of billions in profits for the past several years does give one pause.

The whole 'making flying torture' began when United realized that by leaving one ingredient off of salads would save tens of thousands per day. The discovered that not feeding anyone outside of first class, saved much more.

I'm not anti-business, not at all. However I've also always said that companies that behave badly-whether to their employees, customers, vendors, etc., should pay a price. It's either hold each company responsible or get wholesale regulations.

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

People can choose how to travel. The costs should be what they are. Considering that United has been making 10's of billions in profits for the past several years does give one pause.

The whole 'making flying torture' began when United realized that by leaving one ingredient off of salads would save tens of thousands per day. The discovered that not feeding anyone outside of first class, saved much more.

I'm not anti-business, not at all. However I've also always said that companies that behave badly-whether to their employees, customers, vendors, etc., should pay a price. It's either hold each company responsible or get wholesale regulations.
    That's fine, but people who want an overhaul of the overbooking policy need to accept the consequences, including higher fares. Can't have it both ways. But you know they will be the first to complain bitterly.

As for United, it was airport security that behaved badly. Perhaps United needs to overhaul these particular rules, but until then, they need to enforce their rules once expressed. Or end up like Obama drawing lines in the sand that people scoff at. We really do need order and compliance on our aircraft.
    After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box - Author unknown

“Unfortunately, the truth is now whatever the media say it is”
    -Abbey

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

That's fine, but people who want an overhaul of the overbooking policy need to accept the consequences, including higher fares. Cant have it both ways. But you know they will be the first to complain bitterly.

As for United, it was airport security that behaved badly. Perhaps United needs to overhaul these particular rules, but until then, they need to enforce their rules once expressed. Or end up like Obama drawing lines in the sand that people scoff at. We really do need order and compliance on our aircraft.
    We rarely disagree on things, but in this case we do. It was United that called in the airport police, which they now say they will not do again.

The airlines have gotten by with overbooking for years, at a huge increase to their profits. I doubt many complained about it, like me they could find someone or several to take a free round-trip, upgrades, etc. However, to call the airport police when a customer gave a valid reason for declining, they should have employed some commonsense. They didn't. Now the airport security perhaps should have suggested that commonsense prevail, "Look you attendents, start offering more money or see if one of the crew can jump seat. Do something, we are not your gestapo." But they did.

Then the CEO sends an email talking trash about the customer and 'standing behind the employees,' not genius move there.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)

I usually agree that 'outrageous' compensation should not be given. In this case though, with videos being the rule of the day, he was humiliated not only on the plane, (not including all who saw this travesty being traumatized), the video of course went viral, (which will figure into his payoff). Most of these suits are people that did something really stupid, then blaming the company. This wasn't that.

I know what he was charged with, heck everyone now knows-adding to his payoff. Yes, he committed felonies, was punished, and still was being monitored. Again, this had nothing to do with that, again adding to his payoff since he will likely lose income from loss of patients or loss of new patients. Indeed, probably because he was in a probationary status, he really couldn't blow off showing up the next day.

I was bumped once from an American flight to CA where I was going to a course that began two days from then. They asked for volunteers while waiting at the gate for a free round trip ticket. After the plane was boarded, one of the attendants came up to me and said there were 'no shows,' so I was welcome to move to first class and I still got the round trip ticket. It was awesome! LOL!

All of those people on the plane should have been offered some sort of apology payment, in kind or cash. There was a teacher with a group of students who deboarded all of them when the man came running back onto the plane, all bloodied.

United handled this very badly, there is no excuse. Right now I'd avoid flying with them.
    Ha! I got bumped of a MAC flight at Hickam by a dead body! I felt important.

Airlines re ridiculous now. Somebody better have moments to live that I actually give a crap about to get me on a plane. They overbook on purpose. Then these planes they fly now? I have to sit almost sideways because of my shoulders. Guess I could book 2 seats.

Didn't used to be like that. I remember when the stewardesses were nice to you and the plane had plenty of room. It's a bus ride now. Actually, you have more room on a bus. And I can't stand cops period so imagine where the wannabe's fall on the scale. We got a job at San Antonio airport and come walking in with our tools. I'm like really? You want us to go through the metal detector? We were working on the FBI office and only those of us that had clearances were allowed to begin with.

But Oh Hell NO. We get Inspector Cluseau at the door. Gee, J Edgar ... what do suppose is in the tool bag? Crayons? We don't us the llittle Tonk Tool set. And you bet I rode and ridiculed his ass. That made my day. He threatened to arrest me and I'm like for what? You're going to arrest me because you're a dumbass? The FBI guys actually came down and squared his ass away.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

9. Thanks Kathianne thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)

United handled this very badly, there is no excuse. Right now I'd avoid flying with them.
    that's the shorthand and bottom line.

so the price of lower fares is some passagers have to put up with getting their Asres kicked from time to time? seriously?

that's what i get out of that statement. sorry. that's just how i see what you said . i know you didn't "say" those words.
    But the practical outworking is exactly that Abbey sorry. nothing personal Abbey but uh no, just nope.

Lets all thankfully eat craptastic even inhuman services as long as the fares stay low. 'th th thank you mr airlines, please let me fly with you, i won't cause no troubles... take my money... yes you can feel me up 1st.. and the baby and grandma too of course... thank you.. kick me off the plane no problem right away... sorry i bothered you vankyouuu ' shesh . i don't think so. this is crazy.

there's few if any other services that you PAY for the services but people expect the possibility of NOT getting it.
    overbooking means they are being paid twice for the same singular service. what a racket.
    the airlines only a few years back were caught colluding in price fixing schemes, lining their pockets at customers expense.
    Now United has merged with Continental narrowing the competition even more meaning higher prices .. not out of necessity but for more profits.

I'm pro freemarket but this is the kind of stuff that makes the market 'self correct' a company (or an industry) into bankruptcy. IF there's enough competition..
    Seems to me this incident is the epitome of SH**TY service and paying customers should NOT have to expect anything in the ballpark of this kind of treatment. Just the opposite. Every customer should be treated like GOLD. Because #1 they are human beings, 2. because the lifetime values of a customer is thousands or tens of thousands of dollars.
    United was STUPID to do this. the officers were STUPID and thuggish and the Airline initial follow up was STUPID socially and business wise.

no customer is guaranteed.
    Big Corps (much like the gov't) too often forget who's working for who.
    Last edited by revelarts; 04-12-2017 at 07:26 PM.
    It is proper to take alarm at the first experiment on our liberties. The freeman of America did not wait till usurped power had strengthened itself by exercise, and entangled the question in precedents. James Madison
    Live as free people, yet without employing your freedom as a pretext for wickedness; but live at all times as servants of God.
    1 Peter 2:16

11. Thanks Kathianne, Russ thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by revelarts View Post
    that's the shorthand and bottom line.

so the price of lower fares is some passagers have to put up with getting their Asres kicked from time to time? seriously?

that's what i get out of that statement. sorry. that's just how i see what you said . i know you didn't "say" those words.
    But the practical outworking is exactly that Abbey sorry. nothing personal Abbey but uh no, just nope.

Lets all thankfully eat craptastic even inhuman services as long as the fares stay low. 'th th thank you mr airlines, please let me fly with you, i won't cause no troubles... take my money... yes you can feel me up 1st.. and the baby and grandma too of course... thank you.. kick me off the plane no problem right away... sorry i bothered you vankyouuu ' shesh . i don't think so. this is crazy.

there's few if any other services that you PAY for the services but people expect the possibility of NOT getting it.
    overbooking means they are being paid twice for the same singular service. what a racket.
    the airlines only a few years back were caught colluding in price fixing schemes, lining their pockets at customers expense.
    Now United has merged with Continental narrowing the competition even more meaning higher prices .. not out of necessity but for more profits.

I'm pro freemarket but this is the kind of stuff that makes the market 'self correct' a company (or an industry) into bankruptcy. IF there's enough competition..
    Seems to me this incident is the epitome of SH**TY service and paying customers should NOT have to expect anything in the ballpark of this kind of treatment. Just the opposite. Every customer should be treated like GOLD. Because #1 they are human beings, 2. because the lifetime values of a customer is thousands or tens of thousands of dollars.
    United was STUPID to do this. the officers were STUPID and thuggish and the Airline initial follow up was STUPID socially and business wise.

no customer is guaranteed.
    Big Corps (much like the gov't) too often forget who's working for who.
    I had to thank Rev's post, it highlights what my fear is towards this sort of mismanagement. It will be used to justify more 'regulations' that instead of acknowledging the wrongs and giving the market a chance to rectify, including no doubt paying out likely tens of millions.

If memory serves, one of the most heavily regulated industries, was given this 'perk' towards increased profits in overbooking and more quietly, the issues that arise via moving personnel from one locale to another where needed. The initial reaction of the CEO was so tone deaf it compounded the problems. 3 days later, seems he's getting it.

Now if all the airline managements came together and stated that they are implementing new, self-imposed rules at minimum that lack of available seats will be addressed prior to plane boarding. Indeed, that was the first big mistake in this instance and would have been very easy to avoid.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)

It is proper to take alarm at the first experiment on our liberties. The freeman of America did not wait till usurped power had strengthened itself by exercise, and entangled the question in precedents. James Madison
    Live as free people, yet without employing your freedom as a pretext for wickedness; but live at all times as servants of God.

14. Thanks Russ thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

They decided they didn't want Jack Soo on the plane anymore.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

At the 1:PM/ET hour, radio news reports Dr. Dao has suffered a concussion, a broken nose, and lost teeth in the UAL incident.

Dr. Dao is planning a law suit.

BUT !!

UAL would be crazy to let it go to trial. I would think UAL would wish to settle out of court, where often the $settlement $amount is by legal agreement, kept confidential.
    If it goes to a jury, the whole world will know.

PS
    This radio report also indicates there's now legal question about the "officers" (security guards) that performed the extraction even had legal authorization to board the plane to do so.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)

United Airline Training Video.
    Flight Attendant,
    then Airport manager
    then the CEO
    Last edited by revelarts; 04-13-2017 at 06:07 PM.

18. Thanks Russ thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)

20. Thanks Abbey Marie, Kathianne, Russ thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

A step in the right direction: http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/u...ngers-46743041

I just heard on FOX, Your World, that United has now offered cash payments to everyone that was on that flight.
    You know who looks like the biggest ass and why? You probably touched on it already, but the ceo whose initial statement was the passenger was being difficult, etc. then he reverses himself the next day....

Now he is offering cash payments??

22. Thanks Kathianne thanked this post