Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Default Best way to kill your fish?

I know I could just wait it out until the sucker floats, but that just feels mean. I know it's "just a fish", but I still would feel bad and love these suckers!

I looked online and the "humane" options don't seem so great. Don't flush until fully dead it says, as they will suffer. It says you can swiftly cut him in half.

WTF? Another says to place him in a baggy of water and then in the freezer? I dunno, that sounds like he may not like that one.

Add carbon dioxide to the water via alka seltzer? But I would imagine that would be the end of the other 3 as well.

And then the rest are lab related, needles of sorts that they would do at universities or zoos.

He's being drifted around by the current. He's definitely moving, no doubt about that, but barely strong enough to keep himself upright. What would YOU do? I'm thinking the decapitation, but then I'll feel like an ISIS member on my fishy.
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

That's the thing about wasps. They love animals. They can't stand people.

Does the fish have ick?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Black Diamond View Post
    That's the thing about wasps. They love animals. They can't stand people.

Does the fish have ick?
    Nah, all the others are fine. No signs of any illnesses, no sign of anything. Weird part - my BIG fish decided to chase him for like 2 seconds, and he was able to muster enough energy to get away to other side of tank. But then like 10 seconds later I looked over and he was upside down, then sideways. I know he's croaking, seen this process a million times. I just don't want him to suffer, but also tough to whip out a knife and behead him like I'm the swordsman in Saudi Arabia either!
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

I feel bad for him, this is what I see. These pictures were literally like 60 seconds apart.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Damn. I feel bad too. I must be a wasp.

i would think the toilet would be very traumatic. I don't know that you'd have the heart to cut his head off no matter how humane. Do you think he is suffering now ?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Black Diamond View Post
    Damn. I feel bad too. I must be a wasp.

i would think the toilet would be very traumatic. I don't know that you'd have the heart to cut his head off no matter how humane. Do you think he is suffering now ?
    What is a wasp, besides the obvious?

The toilet - he may live the entire time and then end up at the sewage plant!!

Like my brother said - what do billions of fish do without us? It's not like they have needed our help in dying for a million years. I wouldn't have a clue how to tell if he's suffering. But I can't imagine dying is fun.

Who am I kidding, I cant kill him. I have to suffer and wait for him to be dead now.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)

I usually bop them over the head with a billy club I keep in the boat.

But, I've never killed such a small fish. Just cut his head off with a sharp knife on a cutting board. Fast and clean.
    Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

8. Likes SassyLady liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NightTrain View Post
    I usually bop them over the head with a billy club I keep in the boat.

But, I've never killed such a small fish. Just cut his head off with a sharp knife on a cutting board. Fast and clean.
    That's about what I figured. For "fun", but I just can't do it - but I would like to do it with the wifey's big kitchen knife AND on our new cutting board, and of course take some photos. Wait until we are 3/4 of the way through our meal and then show it to her. She would go NUTS!!

If someone were here to do it, I would let them. But if I got him with a net, and then touch him and he's still wiggling at all, I'm not sure I could do it. But if I do, that's the best way.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Here's a 10 second video of my poor little friend. If he ain't gone by the morning, I'll have to help him along.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    Nah, all the others are fine. No signs of any illnesses, no sign of anything. Weird part - my BIG fish decided to chase him for like 2 seconds, and he was able to muster enough energy to get away to other side of tank. But then like 10 seconds later I looked over and he was upside down, then sideways. I know he's croaking, seen this process a million times. I just don't want him to suffer, but also tough to whip out a knife and behead him like I'm the swordsman in Saudi Arabia either!
    I remember those sideways fish. I don't think it will be very long. I'd just let it play out.
    After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box - Author unknown

“Unfortunately, the truth is now whatever the media say it is”
    -Abbey

12. Likes jimnyc liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

I know I could just wait it out until the sucker floats, but that just feels mean. I know it's "just a fish", but I still would feel bad and love these suckers!

I looked online and the "humane" options don't seem so great. Don't flush until fully dead it says, as they will suffer. It says you can swiftly cut him in half.

WTF? Another says to place him in a baggy of water and then in the freezer? I dunno, that sounds like he may not like that one.

Add carbon dioxide to the water via alka seltzer? But I would imagine that would be the end of the other 3 as well.

And then the rest are lab related, needles of sorts that they would do at universities or zoos.

He's being drifted around by the current. He's definitely moving, no doubt about that, but barely strong enough to keep himself upright. What would YOU do? I'm thinking the decapitation, but then I'll feel like an ISIS member on my fishy.

Why not transfer the ailing fish into a different container, then add the alka seltzer?
    Experienced Social Distancer ... waaaay before COVID.

14. Thanks jimnyc thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

You are one sensitive, whiney sh*t. Flush it down the toilet. OR ... maybe you can get it some therapy and it'll pull through.

Get yourswlf some therapy while you're at it. "I love my fish and my lizard", No help needed here.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

16. Likes jimnyc liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
    You are one sensitive, whiney sh*t. Flush it down the toilet. OR ... maybe you can get it some therapy and it'll pull through.

Get yourswlf some therapy while you're at it. "I love my fish and my lizard", No help needed here.
    Now Gunny, you have to remember that most civvies are not as pragmatic us crusty ol' curmudgeons. We are used to eating fish and lizards ... they aint.
    I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

18. Thanks Gunny, jimnyc thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CSM View Post
    Now Gunny, you have to remember that most civvies are not as pragmatic us crusty ol' curmudgeons. We are used to eating fish and lizards ... they aint.
    @jimnyc ... When he's floating belly up in the tank, you'll know it's not making morning formation.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

20. Likes jimnyc liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post

I read that one off to the wife, she even thought it was funny!