Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Black Diamond View Post
    lol. Yeah my African American is racist.
    maybe, but it's racially oafish?
    If Obama said "there's my White Guy."...?

Having his black employees where they can't be seen is racist.
    yes, yes it is.
    WTH?

Saying bad hombres is racist.
    Again it shows he's an racially numb OAF. like Archie Bunker, 'Look Edith Ramone's here one my Putro Rican friend der Edith,... spray for roaches when he leaves will ya.'

Building a wall is racist.
    IMO It's stupid, and when he say's that all Mexicans coming over are generally killers etc YES that's sorta racist.
    Are all whites generally killers rapist thieves etc but i guess there are few good ones?
    I don't think it's anti Semitic to say I want Jews counting my money.
    how many stray stereotyping racial remarks about various races does it take before a white person shows he's generally got issue with races, AT LEAST in the sense that he seems to have various fixed negative/positive race based prejudgements that he ACTS ON in his personal life and business?
    10 20 200 1000? infinite?

Paul McCartney said the Beatles chose their manager on that basis.
    Seems an odd standard.
    SO if someone picks their president because he was black would that be racist?
    I've been told it was.
    But Paul and Trump picking a Jew BECAUSE they are Jews.. HOW COULD ANYONE THINK THAT'S RACIST??!? ROMAOLOL HardyHar. NAZI! it's NOT the SAME AT ALL!

gotta say IMO it's double standards here BD.
    Seems part of the problem is people are ether blind to it or want to give one side a pass.. many passes.

Stirring shit up saying if I had a son,
    Ok, umm,
    I have to say I still don't see what's so horrible wrong with that. Seemed an attempt to humanize a kid that was being demonized by some to me. Heck with Obama's background His Kids could have come out WHITE and he could have said the same. My take away was it could have been ANY of OUR kids... even the president of the U.S.. IMO again people had to decided to TAKE SIDES "Local white-ish nut vs Black kids" "Since I'm not black, and therefore Obama takes the side of a dead black kid. HEY!!! I'm not included here, as a matter of fact, Obama is DEFINITELY against me, Joe White person and HATES all WHITE PEOPLE!!" the horrorrrrr. really? WTH? uh no. I'm sorry I don't see the terrible offense of humanizing a kid who'd been killed that by ANY objective reckoning should not have been. a kid who hadn't gone to trial either BTW.

Assuming the guilt of cops and letting everyone know it when there was no case. That's mild.
    Frankly i don't think he should have said Jack about any specific ongoing cases.
    I think it was stupid. I agree with you there.
    But he's not the 1st to do it, i believe Gulliani has done it too. Heck Trump took out newspaper ads on black kids that were found INNOCENT and he still wanted them to go to jail for it. but that's not wrong or racist at all and should never be brought up as a problem or reflex on his character.

Baltimore, Ferguson, tray tray, supporting black lives matter.... All mild.
    Uh, yes, mild. Again what EXACTLY did he say? Did he Tell anyone to riot or kill cops?
    Or do you know what he REALLY meant when he called for calm on several occasions?
    Should he have jump the gun and pre-judged nope. But is it possible to say anything along the line of... 'There have been issues with some police in general and i think this needs to be investigated to see if there's any wrong doing on this occasion .'.... that WOULD NOT be interrupted by Police and police supporters as OUTRIGHT betrayal of the police? I don't think so.

Quote Originally Posted by OBAMA
    ...Obama condemned the more extreme voices, while defending the movement as a whole."In a movement like Black Lives Matter there are always going to be folks who say things that are stupid or imprudent or over generalized or harsh," Obama said after meeting with acting Spanish Prime Minister Mariano Rajoy.

"Whenever those of us who are concerned about fairness in the criminal justice system attack police officers, you are doing a disservice to the cause," Obama said, calling violence against police a "reprehensible" crime that needs to be prosecuted. "But even rhetorically, if we paint police in broad brush without recognizing that the vast majority of police officers are doing a really good job and are trying to protect people … if the rhetoric does not recognize that, then we're going to lose allies in the reform cause."

Even before a sniper killed five police officers during a Black Lives Matter protest in Dallas, Obama has gone out of his way to acknowledge both the evidence of bias in policing and the difficult and dangerous job that police officers have.
    "There are legitimate issues that have been raised," he said. "And there is data and evidence to back up the concerns that are being expressed."...
    Saying that is TOO MUCH for some. It Show just how he REALLY wants cops DEAD i guess, and that he really HATES white people. umm hmm.

I'm sorry but black lives matter is the klan with a tan.
    How many lychings has BLM done so far, how many white people have they dragged behind their cars, how many people have actually been blocked from voting, who many churches have they burned down so far, how many churches have they gone into recently and shot white people based on the BLM rhetoric (Dylan Root)? how many jobs have they denied people for being white?
    sorry not even close BD.
    yes some of them say some stupid, criminal crap and they are FAR left. but i'm old enough to remember the 60s hearing white kids and college students "shouting kill the pigs" and the like. But seemed the hippy kids were always the ones getting their heads busted in by the cop or being shot and sometimes killed.

And Obama never told them to stop. In fact he gives them credence. And Obama never told blacks to stop burning down cities. He simply blamed republicans for not allowing any more spending after he doubled the national debt (after the Baltimore riots) How dare they say no more spending. He maybe could have said "hey. Stop. But nope. It's never Obama's fault. It's all because of bush, republicans, Jim Crow and slavery (in other words white peoples fault).
    see above, he did tell people to stop. but those are not the quotes that were played on fox news or briet bart. Look If you want to IGNORE all the times he did and pretend that he NEVER said anything about "bootstraps" and people taking care of their own neighborhood's then we can't even have a real conversation. But I'd agree that Baltimore's problem is not just gov't money. But he's a DEMOCRAT what do EXPECT him to say BLACK or WHITE? But also we have to be real here as well. History DOEs impact people lives today. ignoring that doesn't help either. native americans are living where they are living because of what people in the past did. Yes "white people". YOU didn't do it BD. but lets be real it was in fact WHITE PEOPLE. That's just history. doesn't mean that everything that happens to today is "white people's" fault but the history is real. it's not a KNOCK on your person to admit the reality of the past and what effect i has TODAY. And honestly ask if some issues are ongoing or if issues can be mitigated in VARIOUS ways by ALL Americans TODAY.
    Is that racist to say? Can whites on right admit that much without assuming people are trying to condemn them all NOW? be nice if we could.

We are more racially divided than we have been in 50 years thanks to Obama.
    well maybe, but it take 2 to tango.
    But If Obama was SO horrifying it would have been nice to see some WHITE MLKs that approached the horrible racist Obama that was taking all the white's rights to vote and work and to go to school and rights cheer the police when they kill. If more on the right could have mustered some christian love, peaceful reasoned resistants and reconciliation rather than unfocused racial animosity I think we'd be further along.

If racial reconciliation is a real goal is Trump the BEST advocate for that? Is Sessions?

When trump said of course the judge ruled against me, he's Mexican. That's racist I'll give you that one.
    we AGREE!
    Last edited by revelarts; 04-26-2017 at 02:27 AM.
    It is proper to take alarm at the first experiment on our liberties. The freeman of America did not wait till usurped power had strengthened itself by exercise, and entangled the question in precedents. James Madison
    Live as free people, yet without employing your freedom as a pretext for wickedness; but live at all times as servants of God.
    1 Peter 2:16

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)

Just for context

here are some of the Speeches.
    Obama DOES say people need to be calm
    and He DOES Honors police living and fallen. Calls them heroes.

if you're trying to say he didn't say it the WAY you wanted him to,
    Or that he questioned them TO often ... ooh... hey sorry, but he does give due respect and praise as well.
    But If cops are to saintly to be questioned, well no ones become that big IMO.

It is proper to take alarm at the first experiment on our liberties. The freeman of America did not wait till usurped power had strengthened itself by exercise, and entangled the question in precedents. James Madison
    Live as free people, yet without employing your freedom as a pretext for wickedness; but live at all times as servants of God.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by revelarts View Post
    Just for context

Or that he questioned them TO often ... ooh... hey sorry, but he does give due respect and praise as well.

Yeah he's the great Uniter he said he would be in the US of KKKA. Questioning =/= assuming they are guilty because a black was killed.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

I Don't think it's a great thing to say I want Jews to count my money because they are good with it. I just don't think it's anti Semitic to say it. I think it used to be more acceptable to say it. Like 35 years ago when trump and Paul said it. As far as trayvon goes, Obama should have kept his mouth shut. How do you get a fair trial when it's obvious whose side the potus is on. If Obama said there's my white I wouldn't care. i don't think trump is Archie bunker. He wouldn't have been friends with rosa parks and I believe even al sharpton. And how many years Does Obama have to sit under a bigot before you wonder if he is one?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

“When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

Just for context

Talk is cheap, Rev. Whom did he invite/not invite to the WH?
    After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box - Author unknown

“Unfortunately, the truth is now whatever the media say it is”
    -Abbey

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Abbey View Post
    Talk is cheap, Rev. who did he invite/not invite to the WH?
    I agree with the tone he set from the beginning with the whole professor incident. Immediately he came down playing the race card, though he did walk it back a bit. But that did set the tone for what followed, his knee jerk reaction was to assume the police were at fault and it carried over to his supporters, which is not unusual in politics. While not unusual, in this case it caused more of a focus for many on racial issues, but NOT in a good way. The differences overtook the commonalities, which had taken literally over a century to create with much soul searching on everyone's part.

When BLM developed, it could have a positive, but when it was taken as a talking point of the left-not just blacks, but anarchists and others-the divide was cemented.

I'm not sure how I'd feel if I was in Rev's shoes, I don't think he sees it the same as we do. Then again, different life experiences.

I just know the whole thing saddens me.

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

8. Thanks Abbey Marie, Gunny, Black Diamond thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Abbey View Post
    Talk is cheap, Rev. Whom did he invite/not invite to the WH?
    Ruters
    "President Barack Obama will host a meeting with law enforcement officials, activists and civil rights leaders on Wednesday to discuss ways to repair "the bonds of trust" between communities and police, the White House said on Monday..."

Washington times
    "President Obama hosted a marathon meeting at the White House on Wednesday with Black Lives Matter activists, civil rights leaders, police and elected officials..."
    Who do we focus on that he invited to White House?
    And if Talk is Cheap why so much emphasis on what he supposedly didn't say say to SOME BLM and others?

Again here's where i have question how much we're looking for offense, or protecting our turf rather than meeting people ...including Obama... where they are, and trying to work for the best FROM there.

look Abbey, there are People here that have said some pretty ... hmm questionable... things race wise on this board. Should I ONLY have that in mind when thinking of them as a person? Saying, 'but but the people here aren't the president' doesn't cut it. It's people, Americans. It's part of tapestry of race relations that were told was so much better in America BEFORE Obama.

I'll remake this obvious point again, Blacks (latinios etc) are still the minority. And we interact with ALL kinds of whites everyday. And on occasion have PUT UP WITH and try an turn positive working with colleagues, bosses customers, officials, and neighbors that have various levels of real animosity towards us because of race. Now If we decided to take every slight and offense as signal on how to response to every overture towards a peaceful relationship there would be NO progress, or working and living together.

Do you think MLK thought that LBJ wasn't a race baiting opportunist? MLK knew it, but LBJ reached out in with some VERY real overtures at addressing some real race problems. And MLK and others graciously and kindly worked with him IN Spite of LBJ's very real personal short comings. If any one of us was looking for Obama to be perfect and never lean one way or another in various people's eye's on race then i think we're being unrealistic. There are many blacks that think he did NOTHING but as you say ...give lip service... to race and definitely nothing as far as helping poor black communities.
    The only positive concrete thing IMO is that he had a couple of investigations that brought some broad local police issues to light. But many are still denial that police can do any wrong soooo where does that leave us? But what President has ever investigated any police wrong doing since JFK sent the FBI to the south in the 60s. Have all the police Depts been unquestionable race wise since 1964? Trump says he's going to Support the police (no matter what?). Sessions has a history of racism. So where do any legit complaints about police go now to be objectively reviewed?

But look my MAIN point is that Obama did not want DEAD cops. Or people rioting or committing criminal acts.
    what ever someone might think of his "mentor" or his questioning police 1st. It seems clear to me that DEAD cops and roits were NOT not his map as legit activities.
    just as saying "hire only JEWS to count the money" does not mean someone is a NAZI.
    I think we all can agree that there are LEVELS of racial sensitivity. And we all somewhere on a spectrum.
    But I got the impression that, like most people reaching for fairnest, he really just wanted EQUAL protection under the law.
    And IMO at times he assumed that some people weren't getting that and spoke when he should have kept his mouth shut.
    BUT here's the thing, that response doesn't come out of nowhere, or out of "racism" or "hating cops", it comes from a long and often denied or minimized history of police abuses.
    So yes, here's a shocker, if a group has seen it over and over again and watched it be ignored and denied over and over, when someone from that group gets to power they may be touchy and OVER react verbally.
    But it doesn't mean they want Officals DEAD. Is it POSSIBLE that he might just want them living up to the BEST of the profession? Is that possible?

A bit of gaining other's perspective and NOT assuming the worse motives of others would go a long way to some peace. IF people can allow themselves to be open to it,
    and not be so quick to take offense themselves and allow people to not be perfect on all sides.

But hey it is what it is.

At this point i feel like Rodney King
    "Can't we all just get along"
    Last edited by revelarts; 04-26-2017 at 11:42 AM.

10. Thanks Kathianne thanked this post
    Likes Kathianne liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Rev. I guess you either didn't remember, or want to admit....Others whom Obama Didn't need to invite....but he chose to have there too???
    Such as:
    I love to make Liberals Cry, and Whine.
    So, this is for them.
    GOD BLESS AMERICA - IN GOD WE TRUST !

12. Thanks Black Diamond thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

IMO It's stupid, and when he say's that all Mexicans coming over are generally killers etc YES that's sorta racist.
    Are all whites generally killers rapist thieves etc but i guess there are few good ones?
    I've had an issue from the beginning with the media always stating "immigration", when Trump's stance, as well as so many of us others, is with "ILLEGAL immigration".

Also, he never said ALL Mexicans. In fact, he often spoke highly of Mexicans. He did say illegal immigration, and he did say that Mexico was sending us the worst they have, when he would be speaking about the rapes and murders from illegal aliens. And while he believes that some murderers and "bad people" are coming over illegally, as do I - I don't believe he ever stated ALL of them were killers. I could be wrong on this one, it's still early for me! LOL
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

A Reminder to rev, and all members who use the racist card to make your point.

The LAWS of the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA are...No Person is permitted to enter the USA ILLEGALLY. Doing so is BREAKING THE LAWS of the USA.
    PEOPLE, of all races, creeds, colors, backgrounds, body temperature who enter ILLEGALLY are BREAKING THE LAW.

PERIOD.
    So, this is for them.

15. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

He never attacked the U.S. or Israel that's for sure.
    the only countries that he attacked was Iran and we supported him in that.
    And O yeah Kuwiat. which we defeated him over and he surrendered within weeks and retreated and the u.S. army went in and destroyed most... if not all... of the viable Chem weapons we sold him.

big threat? not even close.
    Are Iraq and the region better off now that we went in a overthrew him, killed and displaced over a million Iraqis and filled the country with DU because we had to teach Saddam a lesson?

nope.
    Point of clarification.

Saddam certainly did attack Israel.
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." William F Buckley, Jr

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BoogyMan View Post
    Point of clarification.

Saddam certainly did attack Israel.

BoogyMan. I second that with Another point of clarification, if you don't mind.

Saddam attacked Saudi Arabia as well, while also attacking Israel.
    I know, because I was in a hospital bed, at Fleet Hospital Five, (A HUGE TENT CITY)in the Desert, when we heard those terrible air-raid sirens, and had to put our Gas mask's on..just in case.
    I know the sound of a SADDAM "SCUD" screaming overhead, then the boom from the Patriot Missile that took it down.
    Anybody who insists Saddam was innocent, and didn't deserve his fate...probably misses OBAMA, and HILLARY too!
    Last edited by aboutime; 04-26-2017 at 07:17 PM.
    So, this is for them.

18. Thanks Kathianne thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Ruters
    "President Barack Obama will host a meeting with law enforcement officials, activists and civil rights leaders on Wednesday to discuss ways to repair "the bonds of trust" between communities and police, the White House said on Monday..."

Washington times
    "President Obama hosted a marathon meeting at the White House on Wednesday with Black Lives Matter activists, civil rights leaders, police and elected officials..."
    Who do we focus on that he invited to White House?
    And if Talk is Cheap why so much emphasis on what he supposedly didn't say say to SOME BLM and others?

Again here's where i have question how much we're looking for offense, or protecting our turf rather than meeting people ...including Obama... where they are, and trying to work for the best FROM there.

look Abbey, there are People here that have said some pretty ... hmm questionable... things race wise on this board. Should I ONLY have that in mind when thinking of them as a person? Saying, 'but but the people here aren't the president' doesn't cut it. It's people, Americans. It's part of tapestry of race relations that were told was so much better in America BEFORE Obama.

I'll remake this obvious point again, Blacks (latinios etc) are still the minority. And we interact with ALL kinds of whites everyday. And on occasion have PUT UP WITH and try an turn positive working with colleagues, bosses customers, officials, and neighbors that have various levels of real animosity towards us because of race. Now If we decided to take every slight and offense as signal on how to response to every overture towards a peaceful relationship there would be NO progress, or working and living together.

Do you think MLK thought that LBJ wasn't a race baiting opportunist? MLK knew it, but LBJ reached out in with some VERY real overtures at addressing some real race problems. And MLK and others graciously and kindly worked with him IN Spite of LBJ's very real personal short comings. If any one of us was looking for Obama to be perfect and never lean one way or another in various people's eye's on race then i think we're being unrealistic. There are many blacks that think he did NOTHING but as you say ...give lip service... to race and definitely nothing as far as helping poor black communities.
    The only positive concrete thing IMO is that he had a couple of investigations that brought some broad local police issues to light. But many are still denial that police can do any wrong soooo where does that leave us? But what President has ever investigated any police wrong doing since JFK sent the FBI to the south in the 60s. Have all the police Depts been unquestionable race wise since 1964? Trump says he's going to Support the police (no matter what?). Sessions has a history of racism. So where do any legit complaints about police go now to be objectively reviewed?

But look my MAIN point is that Obama did not want DEAD cops. Or people rioting or committing criminal acts.
    what ever someone might think of his "mentor" or his questioning police 1st. It seems clear to me that DEAD cops and roits were NOT not his map as legit activities.
    just as saying "hire only JEWS to count the money" does not mean someone is a NAZI.
    I think we all can agree that there are LEVELS of racial sensitivity. And we all somewhere on a spectrum.
    But I got the impression that, like most people reaching for fairnest, he really just wanted EQUAL protection under the law.
    And IMO at times he assumed that some people weren't getting that and spoke when he should have kept his mouth shut.
    BUT here's the thing, that response doesn't come out of nowhere, or out of "racism" or "hating cops", it comes from a long and often denied or minimized history of police abuses.
    So yes, here's a shocker, if a group has seen it over and over again and watched it be ignored and denied over and over, when someone from that group gets to power they may be touchy and OVER react verbally.
    But it doesn't mean they want Officals DEAD. Is it POSSIBLE that he might just want them living up to the BEST of the profession? Is that possible?

A bit of gaining other's perspective and NOT assuming the worse motives of others would go a long way to some peace. IF people can allow themselves to be open to it,
    and not be so quick to take offense themselves and allow people to not be perfect on all sides.

But hey it is what it is.

At this point i feel like Rodney King
    "Can't we all just get along"
    I don't see all these things in the same way you do, but I do understand much of what you are saying.

Indeed there are folks that say the right things all the time, but in their heads or perhaps when in the company of those they know and trust, they aren't the same as they purport. Others are far more upfront about their feelings that 'most' of whatever act/believe such and such, but one on one may be much more fair and honest in dealing with those 'most.' Johnson for example.

Here's my take on pre and post Obama, for many. There was no belief that racism was dead or 'nearly gone in actions,' however there was a civility in our day to day dealings. There were some sensibilities that not only made things more civil, it opened doors when enough contact was made-be it at home in the neighborhood, at work, shopping, etc. Please, thank you, holding doors, etc., were extended to all without much thought. I've said many times that I believe that most of the issues of racism are really issues of socioeconomic matters. It's a matter of shared mores and values.

What Obama did in a sense was once again bring the 'me' vs 'them' to the forefront, the police were just the most visible of that. I see his time in office almost analogous to what we've seen happening in the 'women's movement,' what were fair and needed changes at a point in time, have morphed into a true reversal where men are put as second class. They are underemployed, undereducated, open to stereotyping without apology. They are dying earlier and turning to crime more. In a real sense he validated those that see everything through race, whatever their skin hue. He validated those that feel they are 'victims' including those that really just need to get off their butts. He validated those that feel that minorities not only have made their lives 'harder' regarding jobs, success, etc... In both cases many of those that use their victimology to validated their own failures.

There's no doubt that we'll never get all people to treat others fairly, regardless of their race. I don't have answers, but I do think that levels of civility that were found, at least in my life experiences, were better than we now find ourselves in. It seems it's open season on those most uncivil to feel free to speak 'power to the man,' the 'man' being anyone different than themselves.

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kathianne View Post
    I don't see all these things in the same way you do, but I do understand much of what you are saying.

Indeed there are folks that say the right things all the time, but in their heads or perhaps when in the company of those they know and trust, they aren't the same as they purport. Others are far more upfront about their feelings that 'most' of whatever act/believe such and such, but one on one may be much more fair and honest in dealing with those 'most.' Johnson for example.

Here's my take on pre and post Obama, for many. There was no belief that racism was dead or 'nearly gone in actions,' however there was a civility in our day to day dealings. There were some sensibilities that not only made things more civil, it opened doors when enough contact was made-be it at home in the neighborhood, at work, shopping, etc. Please, thank you, holding doors, etc., were extended to all without much thought. I've said many times that I believe that most of the issues of racism are really issues of socioeconomic matters. It's a matter of shared mores and values.

What Obama did in a sense was once again bring the 'me' vs 'them' to the forefront, the police were just the most visible of that. I see his time in office almost analogous to what we've seen happening in the 'women's movement,' what were fair and needed changes at a point in time, have morphed into a true reversal where men are put as second class. They are underemployed, undereducated, open to stereotyping without apology. They are dying earlier and turning to crime more. In a real sense he validated those that see everything through race, whatever their skin hue. He validated those that feel they are 'victims' including those that really just need to get off their butts. He validated those that feel that minorities not only have made their lives 'harder' regarding jobs, success, etc... In both cases many of those that use their victimology to validated their own failures.

There's no doubt that we'll never get all people to treat others fairly, regardless of their race. I don't have answers, but I do think that levels of civility that were found, at least in my life experiences, were better than we now find ourselves in. It seems it's open season on those most uncivil to feel free to speak 'power to the man,' the 'man' being anyone different than themselves.
    I appreciate what your saying Kath, and the tone of your reply.
    And there's no doubt that many felt that Obama's actions/words/missteps with the addition of BLM-ish activity were an excuse to justify their own bad views and actions about race.
    But is that a real good excuse for their bad reactions?

Does the fact that the feminist movement has gone over the edge mean that now i, as a man, can feel justified in treating women less politely or even unfairly. And having a 'they get what the deserve' attitude when i see real and or systematic abuses.
    True, it may not make me MORE sympathetic overall but real issues that i may have ignored previously still should be an object of concern. Even if couched in a way that i don't like. If i'm really trying to be decent person myself.

And I guess overall ..in my thinking at least... I have in mind a picture of a black guy being killed over a pack of imaginary cigarettes and the police going back to the job without consequence. And a white guy whose feelings are hurt because the president made him feel excluded/blamed because the president and some loud mouth activist jumped to mistaken conclusions in black white cases a few times. So now that makes him feel justified in ignoring or making excuses for all the abused and dead black guys at the hands of cops all the other times. And minimize the seriousness of other issues like one you posted of instances in LA where , i believe, the police and prosecutors sent many to jail without good cause and used lying informants. And ignore or chalk up to "bad apples" or over statements made in many police officers testimonies of systematic unfair and abusive treatment towards minorities that they've witnessed over the course of years or decades.

While i can in fact understand the hurt feelings or outrage caused by having an issue brought up that's uncomfortable and at times overstated or miss stated. And how the REPEATED complaint can seem unfocused or personal. And how mistaken accusations can make one sincerely believe that NOTHING really is a problem. And the whole package might for some make the general air of politeness that may have been in part of most behavior less at the forefront. I have to wonder, was that air of politeness partly due to a benign ignorance of an ongoing problem?

So generally, from my POV at least, those uncomfortable feelings really don't compare to the feelings of concern low income and minorities have of the real past and potentially unfair treatment, unfair abuse and unjustified deaths of themselves or family members at the hands of the police and courts that are supposedly there to protect us all. Again it's NOT an indictment of ALL police, ALL of the Justice system or ALL whites. Many whites... maybe numerically MORE... are in fact victims of the same. But it's demonstrably MORE focused in lower income and minority communities.
    And that's not to ignore all of the other issues that minorities and lower income people have to deal with internally. However, IMO, it's no excuse for the wider population to dismiss it all because of bad feelings. Or to revive or nurse new racial animosity.

But it is what it is.
    Last edited by revelarts; 04-26-2017 at 11:38 PM.