Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Default Fishy update

They are all dead but one. Even the little baby was belly up a few days ago.

All I have left is my "Big Blue" - who is an African Kenyi, the mean one of the tank.

The ammonia levels appear to be what killed the others and I can't figure it out. I've been swapping water out every few days. I did 50% the first time, and have been doing like 30% changes every other day. And yet for a few weeks now, the levels remain alarmingly high. I test the water out of the faucet and it's perfect. I test it daily 2x and it's ammonia through the roof.

I've been cleaning the gravel, but slowly as not to kill off all the "good" bacteria. I only have now like 2 mountain looking rocks. I'm running 2 filters, one of them being a Fluval canister style which is enough for 2 of my tanks. All the media in there is fine. I've even added some zeolite crystals a bit back, as it's supposed to help lower ammonia.

By now I must have changed 100% of the water three times over, and yet the levels still remain high. I don't want Big Blue to croak on me!! Here's a pic of him, in case he croaks soon too. The shine by his gills are normal, been like that since he/she was a little one. Weird as they come and go. Same as the black stripes, they come and go.

“You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

2. Thanks Abbey Marie, LongTermGuy thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)

The Kenyi did it...
    "I am allergic to piety, it makes me break out in rash judgements." - Penn Jillette
    "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with a lot of pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
    "The man who invented the telescope found out more about heaven than the closed eyes of prayer ever discovered." - Robert G. Ingersoll

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)

I don't know much at all about aquariums... my specialty is killing fish, not keeping them alive. Quit using Windex on the glass!

Sounds like your tank's ecosystem is missing something to balance it... like maybe a couple of live plants, an algae eater, properly working filters? I googled a couple of sites and chemicals only work for a few hours or so with that kind of problem.
    Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

5. Thanks Kathianne thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)

...in the conservatory with the candlestick...
    "I am allergic to piety, it makes me break out in rash judgements." - Penn Jillette
    "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with a lot of pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
    "The man who invented the telescope found out more about heaven than the closed eyes of prayer ever discovered." - Robert G. Ingersoll

7. Thanks NightTrain thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

Weird. Are you using filtered tap water?
    After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box - Author unknown

“Unfortunately, the truth is now whatever the media say it is”
    -Abbey

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Abbey View Post
    Weird. Are you using filtered tap water?
    Nah, that wouldn't help much. Some people will use RO water aka reverse osmosis. But for a $5 fish? I just check the parameters and all checks with flying waters.

I did put in some ammo chips now as well from API. He seems a bit more livelier the past few days, but still hasn't eaten. But he's also not dead!
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

10. Thanks Abbey Marie thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)

Does the wife like fish?
    If the freedom of speech is taken away
    then dumb and silent we may be led,
    like sheep to the slaughter.

George Washington (1732-1799) First President of the USA.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SassyLady View Post
    Does the wife like fish?
    I already thought of that too! LOL

She likes them to look at once in awhile, but doesn't care to even feed them, and definitely ain't taking care of them!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

The good news is that I got the ammonia level down about 80% better than it was. I still have to keep at it for another week or so until it's completely gone. The little fella finally ate a couple of pellets yesterday. It was just like 2 of them, and nothing since, but that was a good sign.

14. Thanks Kathianne, Abbey Marie thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    The good news is that I got the ammonia level down about 80% better than it was. I still have to keep at it for another week or so until it's completely gone. The little fella finally ate a couple of pellets yesterday. It was just like 2 of them, and nothing since, but that was a good sign.

I'm happy for you. Still eek! at fish, unless they are cooked and on my plate.

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

16. Thanks jimnyc thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kathianne View Post
    I'm happy for you. Still eek! at fish, unless they are cooked and on my plate.
    That's like Diana. The only fish she cares about is "tilapia", and cooked by herself no less. At least she won't steal and cook my last remaining fish, she'll get ammonia poisoning if she does!

It's still better than a snake, which may be ugly all by itself, but then you have to watch it squeeze the life out of it's dinner. My guy here just gets flakes and pellets!

18. Likes Kathianne liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    That's like Diana. The only fish she cares about is "tilapia", and cooked by herself no less. At least she won't steal and cook my last remaining fish, she'll get ammonia poisoning if she does!

It's still better than a snake, which may be ugly all by itself, but then you have to watch it squeeze the life out of it's dinner. My guy here just gets flakes and pellets!
    I would like a puppy!

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kathianne View Post
    I would like a puppy!
    Me too!! I'm actually softening Diana up a tad on a French Bulldog! But while she's slooooooooowwwly leaning that way, I don't think she has a clue about eh $2500+ price tag on them!

Still gotta be one of my favorites. Gotta respect kitty!

21. Likes Kathianne liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)

Get a Papillon. You won't regret it...

I've got two and would happily take more...

23. Likes jimnyc liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

oh those ears!

25. Likes jimnyc liked this post