Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

Default I See We're All into Fitness

Las post was by me in May of last year.

Anyhoo ,,, I really hate these gazelle/ elyptical/WTF-ever machines. The only thing good about them is convenience. I can watch TV and ride it.

Kind of funny though ... walking is harder. I can ride this contraption for 30 minutes. I can walk about 15. , and I have AC in here.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

2. Thanks Kathianne thanked this post
    Likes Kathianne liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post

Anyhoo ,,, I really hate these gazelle/ elyptical/WTF-ever machines. The only thing good about them is convenience. I can watch TV and ride it.

Kind of funny though ... walking is harder. I can ride this contraption for 30 minutes. I can walk about 15. , and I have AC in here.
    I can't stand any of those stationary machines. nordic track is half way tolerable if I can blast the music.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

I walk the track in the gym, but still get on the elliptical and the 'walk/run' piece. I can go faster and the elliptical works my arms. While I love walking outside, I don't go fast as I'm watching for roots and lord help me, snakes, javelinas, etc. I walk in terror while enjoying nature. LOL!

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

5. Thanks SassyLady thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Black Diamond View Post
    I can't stand any of those stationary machines. nordic track is half way tolerable if I can blast the music.
    I preferred the stairmaster. Used it a lot on on the ships when deployed. Was that or 33 laps around the flight deck before flight ops began. I would prefer to run but I'm a was off from giving that a shot.

This machine was here already so I use it one day, walk the next.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

7. Thanks Kathianne thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

I preferred the stairmaster. Used it a lot on on the ships when deployed. Was that or 33 laps around the flight deck before flight ops began. I would prefer to run but I'm a was off from giving that a shot.

This machine was here already so I use it one day, walk the next.
    Stairs are killers! You da man!

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kathianne View Post
    I walk the track in the gym, but still get on the elliptical and the 'walk/run' piece. I can go faster and the elliptical works my arms. While I love walking outside, I don't go fast as I'm watching for roots and lord help me, snakes, javelinas, etc. I walk in terror while enjoying nature. LOL!
    I lift weights. While the machine isn't killing me, the arm work is redundant. I'm kind of about where I'd like to stay weight-wise. I don't want to carry 200 lbs again. One thing this lighter bodyweight has done is ease the pressure on my joints. I'm not seeing anymore 350 lb bench presses in my future.

10. Thanks Kathianne thanked this post
    Likes CSM liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

I lift weights. While the machine isn't killing me, the arm work is redundant. I'm kind of about where I'd like to stay weight-wise. I don't want to carry 200 lbs again. One thing this lighter bodyweight has done is ease the pressure on my joints. I'm not seeing anymore 350 lb bench presses in my future.
    I think after 50 or so, the best is to just be consistent in keeping moving. I'm serious. Between arthritis and the sundry injuries and illnesses that start to attack, keeping moving is a goal!

I've never been into sweating, it's against my comfort level. Now however, I'm pushing to get as pain free as possible, seems that is involving free weights and keeping moving.

12. Thanks SassyLady thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

I think after 50 or so, the best is to just be consistent in keeping moving. I'm serious. Between arthritis and the sundry injuries and illnesses that start to attack, keeping moving is a goal!

I've never been into sweating, it's against my comfort level. Now however, I'm pushing to get as pain free as possible, seems that is involving free weights and keeping moving.
    LOL. Sweating here isn't an option. Reason I opted for the whatever it is machine. I think it's a gazelle. It's hot and humid outside and I walked a lot yesterday.

14. Thanks Kathianne thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)

I abhor sweating ... just bought a new UA shirt for working out that says "you sweat, I sparkle".

My New Years resolution was to get healthy so met with nutritionist for 8 weeks to make lifestyle changes. I hate exercising because I hate to sweat, so this is a MAJOR lifestyle change. Bought a Fitbit Charge 2 in February and suddenly it is not so hard getting in 10,000 steps per day when I have immediate visual feedback. Tuesday I did 17,859 steps, 24 floors, 7.82 miles, burned 2,553 cals, worked out for 97 minutes and an hour of chair yoga.

Have a free membership at local YMCA through the Silver Sneakers program and do the senior aerobics 2x/week and chair yoga 2x/week. But the best exercise for me is walking up the dirt road out where I live. It's a gradual incline to the top so can get my flights and miles (5+ per day) in at same time. It's about a mile from my house to the top so I have to do it 2-3 times. And, it's rock, gravel and sand with ruts, etc. So, all kinds of muscles firing that wouldn't happen on treadmill or walking on sidewalks. I'm finding that is improving my balance as well.

Never worried about fitness much before but last year my body said "hey ... enough."
    If the freedom of speech is taken away
    then dumb and silent we may be led,
    like sheep to the slaughter.

George Washington (1732-1799) First President of the USA.

16. Thanks Kathianne, Gunny thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SassyLady View Post
    I abhor sweating ... just bought a new UA shirt for working out that says "you sweat, I sparkle".

My New Years resolution was to get healthy so met with nutritionist for 8 weeks to make lifestyle changes. I hate exercising because I hate to sweat, so this is a MAJOR lifestyle change. Bought a Fitbit Charge 2 in February and suddenly it is not so hard getting in 10,000 steps per day when I have immediate visual feedback. Tuesday I did 17,859 steps, 24 floors, 7.82 miles, burned 2,553 cals, worked out for 97 minutes and an hour of chair yoga.

Have a free membership at local YMCA through the Silver Sneakers program and do the senior aerobics 2x/week and chair yoga 2x/week. But the best exercise for me is walking up the dirt road out where I live. It's a gradual incline to the top so can get my flights and miles (5+ per day) in at same time. It's about a mile from my house to the top so I have to do it 2-3 times. And, it's rock, gravel and sand with ruts, etc. So, all kinds of muscles firing that wouldn't happen on treadmill or walking on sidewalks. I'm finding that is improving my balance as well.

Never worried about fitness much before but last year my body said "hey ... enough."
    Yep, the 10k steps I've done since 2003 or so, when I found my BP was so high. Being as goofy as I am, mostly I do those 10k in gym, with pedometer. I got a fitbit, without realizing it's not compatible with chromebook. I'm just not into that aspect of smartphone. The 10k steps takes about 2 hours, which is still a pretty decent pace for walking. It also has to do with the sweat factor, as I take a shower and change before leaving the gym. LOL! When I walk outside or hike, I take my time-there's wild animals, insects, birds, out there!

18. Thanks SassyLady thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

I have a Charge 2 Fitbit as well though readings these last two weeks have been meager to say the least. Mediteranean (sp?) diet is going great, I must say. I have lost 12 lbs since leaving the hospital. Went for my doctors appointment yesterday afternoon and he told me I could start walking a bit more (30 minutes a day) which made me happy. Doesn't sound like much but for me that is a HUGE step (pun intended).
    I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

20. Thanks Gunny, Kathianne, SassyLady thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SassyLady View Post

You would hare to be me. I start sweating just thinking about it. There ain't no getting out of it here. I just try to "bundle" my sweating stuff and hit the shower when I'm done. shower afterward. There's no real option for me except never go outside or do anything.

I WILL point out to you ladies that sweating is good for you. Gets out a lot of impurities and means you're doing something.

22. Thanks Kathianne, SassyLady thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CSM View Post
    I have a Charge 2 Fitbit as well though readings these last two weeks have been meager to say the least. Mediteranean (sp?) diet is going great, I must say. I have lost 12 lbs since leaving the hospital. Went for my doctors appointment yesterday afternoon and he told me I could start walking a bit more (30 minutes a day) which made me happy. Doesn't sound like much but for me that is a HUGE step (pun intended).
    Thanks for the 10 pounds. I actually needed it. I've been walking a lot for me. It's about a 10 minute walk to the corner and back and I did it 4 times day before yesterday. I've got to work on cutting the number of trips and extending the distance now. I just have to be careful I don't fall down, All that padding I had at 200lbs is gone. At 165, when I land, it's on bone and it DON'T feel good. I'm STILL nursing a shoulder from landing on it. Shoulders take forever to heal. Bwwn having to work Around that with the weights.

24. Thanks Kathianne thanked this post