Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)

Default Sometimes The Moose Hits You

A couple of months ago, a friend of mine was driving back to Wasilla at about 65 mph when a moose popped out of the woods on the left, hellbent for election to get across the highway RIGHT NOW!

He did his best to slow and evade, but the moose was zeroed in on him.

You can see where the moose made contact on the left front quarter and really screwed up his Dodge. My buddy was pretty pissed, he really liked that truck but at least he wasn't hurt.

The really dangerous thing about moose collisions is that they've got those long legs and they can flip over the hood and come right through the windshield... and having 800# of moose hit you in the face is not a pleasant proposition. Diving below the dashboard is recommended right before frontal impact - assuming your seatbelt doesn't hold you there to take your medicine.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NightTrain View Post
    A couple of months ago, a friend of mine was driving back to Wasilla at about 65 mph when a moose popped out of the woods on the left, hellbent for election to get across the highway RIGHT NOW!

He did his best to slow and evade, but the moose was zeroed in on him.

You can see where the moose made contact on the left front quarter and really screwed up his Dodge. My buddy was pretty pissed, he really liked that truck but at least he wasn't hurt.

The really dangerous thing about moose collisions is that they've got those long legs and they can flip over the hood and come right through the windshield... and having 800# of moose hit you in the face is not a pleasant proposition. Diving below the dashboard is recommended right before frontal impact - assuming your seatbelt doesn't hold you there to take your medicine.
    It's mostly deer here. The occasional longhorn. Have to get out into the country for the latter. And believe it or not, getting nailed in the grill by a buzzard is not uncommon out west of here.

I'd be pissed too. I can hear my insurance guy now .... "You don't appear to be covered for attack by moose, sir."
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

3. Thanks Elessar thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
    I'd be pissed too. I can hear my insurance guy now .... "You don't appear to be covered for attack by moose, sir."
    That's exactly what an insurance adjuster scumbag would tell me!

My wife hit a moose 10 years ago in her Subaru and the State of Alaska fined her $1000 for 'damaging State property'. Yeah, the moose was their property. I would have fought that one all the way to the Supreme Court, but she paid it.
    Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

5. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

I am surprised it did not cause more damage than that!

I've had several near-misses with Elk up here. It helps to keep your
    head on a swivel driving in these parts.
    I have lost my mind. If found, please give it a snack and return it?

"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same of others"...John Wayne in "The Shootist"

A Deplorable!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

Back in the day, I was stationed in Maine and worked part time as a dispatcher

Recvd a call from the State PD that a car vs a Moose had just occurred on the turnpike in our AOR. I sent a unit, cautioning them of the weather (snowing).

The local PD also responded, but somehow failed to hear my warning. Arriving on scene, the PD unit found the moose had gotten to it's feet and decided to attack their car. Unable to stop quickly the moose and PD had a "meeting" resulting in the car being sent to the ditch (and flipping over).

I sent another bus and called the local Game Warden who also responded.

Sadly, the Warden had to dispatch the seriously wounded moose.
    Every day I beat my previous record of consecutive days I've stayed alive.