Quote Originally Posted by NightTrain View Post
I'm currently engaged in analyzing a severely problematic microwave system providing internet and phone to remote areas.

People rely on their phones, internet and above all, 911 for emergencies. This system provides that, but for some reason it isn't reliable - we're talking a jaw-dropping 34% reliability of service recently.

This picture is just one of many major problems I discovered today, and any electrician / telecom guy will look at this and want to kill someone. It is one of many that I've found so far, but the most humorous because it's so stupid.

Behold!

That is a commercial breaker panel, with a 6-gauge cable, bolted to a plywood floor.

Awwwww yeah.
@Gunny unleash the beast.
@jimnyc please rotate
Ummm ... you're f-ing fired comes to mind. It ain't like you got to work at this. If you don't know how to figure the sh*t out yourself, there's a whole section on grounding in the NEC. If that ground was actually a ground, the largest wires you could have as feeders would be #2s.

The panel has to be grounded to a ground rod 6 ft deep, it has to be grounded to the foundation steel now, and it has to be grounded to the nearest cold water pipe to the service entrance. Screwed into a piece of wood means that panel is shit if it gets hit. Electricity goes to ground, period. You don't provide it a path, it makes its own.

I'd turn the entire panel off at the service before I'd touch it. And I'll work a hot panel, but not with that Mickey Mouse rig. Did I mention fire the idiot?