Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Default What makes the ideal Marine recruit?

Asked because a graduating senior that I advised to join the military finally decided to enlist in the Marines. Much to the displeasure of his obnoxious and overbearing father, who feels his son should get a job and help support his family. Which doesn't really need supporting.
    I like the son a lot. Excellent physical shape. Good attitude. But lacking in confidence after years of his father telling him that he is a piece of crap who will never accomplish anything (an excellent description of the father, by the way).

Since all he is lacking is guidance and leadership, I think he will be an excellent soldier. But since I have no clue what it is like, I figured I would ask here. What does it take to become a top notch Marine?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

@Gunny ?
    After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box - Author unknown

“Unfortunately, the truth is now whatever the media say it is”
    -Abbey

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Based on the description of the Boy's background, and home conditions. Joining the Marines will provide him with a place where he will be recognized for his accomplishments, teamwork, and willingness to be part of something Much Bigger than himself. There are NO Individuals in the Marines.

Needless to say. He will learn to respect, obey, work, and become a Man without the negatives of a father who calls him a failure.

As a Navy veteran. I attended the difficult Navy boot camp of the Vietnam years. It wasn't anything like the MARINE BOOT CAMP. But it did teach me to be personally responsible for my actions, and to grow up much faster than my peers at home.
    The military isn't for everybody...but in today's world...IT WOULDN'T HURT!
    I love to make Liberals Cry, and Whine.
    So, this is for them.
    GOD BLESS AMERICA - IN GOD WE TRUST !

4. Likes Black Diamond liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Thank you, aboutime. That is very insightful observation and greatly appreciated.

6. Thanks Abbey Marie thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gabosaurus View Post
    Asked because a graduating senior that I advised to join the military finally decided to enlist in the Marines. Much to the displeasure of his obnoxious and overbearing father, who feels his son should get a job and help support his family. Which doesn't really need supporting.
    I like the son a lot. Excellent physical shape. Good attitude. But lacking in confidence after years of his father telling him that he is a piece of crap who will never accomplish anything (an excellent description of the father, by the way).

Since all he is lacking is guidance and leadership, I think he will be an excellent soldier. But since I have no clue what it is like, I figured I would ask here. What does it take to become a top notch Marine?
    Most of being a Marine is in your head. You take whatever sh*t they throw at you and keep going forward. You don't quit. Not even once. Unless you are just FUBAR, if you don't quit and no one will quit on you.

Being beat on by your dad whether emotionally, physically or both is actually an advantage. It means you're used to being yelled at and punished for no reason and just shrug it off while it breaks the pampered boys down. I kept wondering when the hard part we were all so scared of was going to begin. It zoomed right over my head. My dad was harder on me than any drill instructor.

It's like anything else in this life -- how bad do you want to wear that Eagle, Globe and Anchor? Only way I was going home without it was in a box.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Thank you, Gunny. I appreciate your insight.
    His recruiter told him pretty much the same thing. Which is what sold him.
    I think his only hesitation was Marine boot camp. The recruiter told him "It's the most difficult and most fulfilling thing you will ever do. It separates the men from the boys. Every bit of "me" in you because "we." Every boy out there becomes a man. Only a few become Marines."
    He said he signed on right after that.

Gunny, I know you have seen boot camp from both sides. What are you views on it and how it shapes men in Marines?

9. Thanks Black Diamond, Abbey Marie, Kathianne thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gabosaurus View Post
    Thank you, Gunny. I appreciate your insight.
    His recruiter told him pretty much the same thing. Which is what sold him.
    I think his only hesitation was Marine boot camp. The recruiter told him "It's the most difficult and most fulfilling thing you will ever do. It separates the men from the boys. Every bit of "me" in you because "we." Every boy out there becomes a man. Only a few become Marines."
    He said he signed on right after that.

Gunny, I know you have seen boot camp from both sides. What are you views on it and how it shapes men in Marines?
    What the recruiter said. Sort of. I know plenty of men who weren't Marines. Known a few Marines I didn't really consider Marines. A good Marine is BOTH.

AT hit the nail on the head and applies to all branches. You learn a basic sense of responsibility to yourself and to your unit/fellow Marines and too the Corps. Everything you are taught is designed for you to succeed and give you self-confidence. Unlike a lot of things in our society that are designed to fail.

While boot camp is the most demanding, it is also the easiest thing you'll do in the Corps. You don't have to think outside the Corps. Just react to commands. You have to be in good shape and learn fast. Every minute of every day from the second you step off the bus until you graduate is planned.

There is no set answer. I've seen the gung-ho-est in the rear wilt and some skinny guy no one pays attention to take up the slack. In the end, you become what you decide to take away from it. You can't guarantee him a ride. He has to do it. If he wants it, they will give it to him. That includes responsibility and promotions. If he wants to hide in the middle and ease by, he can probably get away with that too.

Up to him. In the end, no one's in his head but him.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

11. Thanks CSM, Abbey Marie, Kathianne thanked this post
    Likes CSM liked this post