Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Default Justices Strike Down Law Banning Disparaging Trademarks

This is great for the Redskins who have battled over their name for years now. I'm glad they never gave in to this lame crap.

---

Justices Strike Down Law Banning Disparaging Trademarks

WASHINGTON — In a decision likely to bolster the Washington Redskins’ efforts to protect its trademarks, the Supreme Court on Monday ruled that the government may not refuse to register potentially offensive names. A law denying protection to disparaging trademarks, the court said, violated the First Amendment.

The decision was unanimous, but the justices were divided on the reasoning.

The decision, concerning an Asian-American dance-rock band called the Slants, probably also means that the Washington Redskins football team will win its fight to retain federal trademark protection.

The law at issue in both cases denies federal trademark protection to messages that may disparage people, living or dead, along with “institutions, beliefs or national symbols.”

Rest here - https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/19/u...-redskins.html
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

2. Thanks Kathianne, Gunny, Black Diamond thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    145 Post(s)

Considering we committed genocide to the natives I'm surprised anyone wants to name their business sports team after them. Truly bizarre in my book.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

You mean I don't have the right to not be offended???

WWWWAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH Where's my safe space and my blanky?
    "The social contract exists so that everyone doesn’t have to squat in the dust holding a spear to protect his woman and his meat all day every day. It does not exist so that the government can take your spear, your meat, and your woman because it knows better what to do with them." - Instapundit.com

5. Thanks Elessar thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pete311 View Post
    Considering we committed genocide to the natives I'm surprised anyone wants to name their business sports team after them. Truly bizarre in my book.
    Genocide? How about a war of attrition? Since that's what it was. Ad what pray tell do you think those poor red men on horesback did to the Anasazi, Mound People, and other "natives" that were here before them?

It's a name for a football team. Who cares?
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Yeah they should change their name to the Wizards. Oh wait that's already been done. It was like wtf

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
    Genocide? How about a war of attrition? Since that's what it was. Ad what pray tell do you think those poor red men on horesback did to the Anasazi, Mound People, and other "natives" that were here before them?

There used to be a team called the crackers. Baseball team. Maybe triple A. In Atalanta I think.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    145 Post(s)

Attrition is the method of the genocide. I just think it's a weird to name a sports team after a people you decimated. I'm not arguing the ruling.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

Attrition is the method of the genocide. I just think it's a weird to name a sports team after a people you decimated. I'm not arguing the ruling.
    Genocide has a meaning. Taking away an adversaries means to wage war Is not that meaning. The indians you feel sorry for killed everything that stood in their way when they were on top. It's how wars were fought then. The last war we actually won was fought that way. Genocide was never a goal. It WAS however a goal of the indians.

Either way, who cares? Only people looking for an excuse to be offended.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    145 Post(s)

Genocide has a meaning. Taking away an adversaries means to wage war Is not that meaning. The indians you feel sorry for killed everything that stood in their way when they were on top. It's how wars were fought then. The last war we actually won was fought that way. Genocide was never a goal. It WAS however a goal of the indians.

Either way, who cares? Only people looking for an excuse to be offended.
    manifest destiny. genocide was the only way.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

Genocide was not the only way, nor was it used as policy. It was a clash of cultures. Been happening since time began. The indians had every advantage and every opportunity to keep us out. They were too busy fighting each other to band together and address the real threat.

The very same thing we are doing today with illegal immigration and Muslim extremists. History is just repeating itself.

Still has nothing to do with pantywaists looking for the slightest and stupidest reasons to be offended.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

If you think the so called indigenous populations didn’t take the land from some other people, you are sorely mistaken.
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." William F Buckley, Jr

14. Thanks Gunny, Kathianne thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    145 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BoogyMan View Post
    If you think the so called indigenous populations didn’t take the land from some other people, you are sorely mistaken.
    Most of native american DNA traces back to the first migration, so I don't know WTF you are talking about nor how it matters. Are you making some kind of twisted rationalization for genocide? The fact is that America lied, murdered and raped their way across the country. New Zealand and Australia did the same.
    Last edited by pete311; 06-20-2017 at 08:06 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

I don't care how any of it happened or with who - it doesn't change the underlying point, as to whether or not it should somehow be censored. And things that are simply words, that some weak wieners out there can't deal with, should certainly not be censored or disallowed.
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

17. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    I don't care how any of it happened or with who - it doesn't change the underlying point, as to whether or not it should somehow be censored. And things that are simply words, that some weak wieners out there can't deal with, should certainly not be censored or disallowed.
    I agree. Laying history aside in this debate is the correct way methinks.
    It comes down to a question of freedom, as in being a free speech issue.
    The judges made not only a unanimous decision but also one that is 100% correct..
    And what shocked me was that the usual liberal/leftist oriented judges actually managed to vote correctly..-Tyr
    18 U.S. Code § 2381-Treason Whoever, owing allegiance to the United States, levies war against them or adheres to their enemies, giving them aid and comfort within the United States or elsewhere, is guilty of treason and shall suffer death, or shall be imprisoned not less than five years and fined under this title but not less than $10,000; and shall be incapable of holding any office under the United States.

19. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Likes jimnyc liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tyr-Ziu Saxnot View Post
    I agree. Laying history aside in this debate is the correct way methinks.
    It comes down to a question of freedom, as in being a free speech issue.
    The judges made not only a unanimous decision but also one that is 100% correct..
    And what shocked me was that the usual liberal/leftist oriented judges actually managed to vote correctly..-Tyr
    COTUS has always been strong on First Amendment, it's fundamental in law studies.

I don't know if it was this article or another I read where the observation was something to the effect, 'when culture and law collide, culture nearly always ultimately wins.'

The trends on campuses for the past 20 years, does not bode well for the ruling if the observation is correct.

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

21. Thanks Tyr-Ziu Saxnot thanked this post