Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Default Avik Roy: Senate Healthcare Bill is Actually Pretty Awesome

I wouldn't go as far as "awesome", unless using the word awesome to annoy @hjmick because he doesn't like the use of the word awesome. That's awesome.

I do think it's 30000% better than Obamacare. It's better than everything else we have seen prior. But it has plenty of room for improvement.

---

Conservative Wonk Avik Roy: The Senate Healthcare Bill is Actually Pretty Awesome

Having hit the Senate GOP's healthcare bill pretty hard last evening, I feel obliged to present a much sunnier assessment for your edification and consideration. Avik Roy, a conservative healthcare policy expert whose work we have cited on many occasions is a big fan of the new proposal, taking to Twitter to declare it a legislative triumph. Agree or disagree -- and I'll do a bit of both below -- the profane, unhinged, substanceless replies from leftists accusing Roy of supporting murder, with more than a dash or two of overt racism, are appalling. Many liberals appear incapable of good-faith debate over good-faith policy differences. More on that in a moment, too. But first, Roy's take:

A few highlights from his Forbes analysis, published this morning:

In March, when House Republicans published their bill to replace Obamacare—the American Health Care Act—I described it in Forbes this way: “GOP’s Obamacare Replacement Will Make Coverage Unaffordable For Millions—Otherwise, It’s Great.” I meant it. There were great things about the House bill, in particular its far-reaching reforms of the Medicaid program. But Paul Ryan’s bill contained a fatal flaw. Its flat tax credits, which provided identical assistance to the poor and the wealthy, would price millions of near-elderly low-income workers out of the insurance market and trap millions more in poverty. Fortunately, buried in the House bill was a way out of the morass. Section 202 of the bill contains a transitional schedule of tax credits that was meant to serve as a bridge between the old Obamacare system, ending in 2017, and the new Paul Ryan system, beginning in 2020.

It turns out that if you simply kept that bridge in force, and tossed overboard the Paul Ryan flat tax credit, you’d solve all of these problems with the House bill. By making that change, the near-elderly working poor would be able to afford coverage, and the poverty trap would be eliminated. And that’s precisely what the Senate bill did! Section 102 of the Senate bill—the Better Care Reconciliation Act of 2017—closely mirrors Section 202 of the House bill, with age- and means-tested tax credits up to 350 percent of the Federal Poverty Level. Making this change not only solves the problems I described above. It also makes it easier to reform the Medicaid program.

I should note at this point that one of my policy concerns about the House-passed bill is that it would hang lower-income near-seniors out to dry with skimpy tax credits, pricing many of them out of affordable coverage. This change, and it's a significant one, addresses that problem. There's an argument to be made that the Senate bill overcompensates, applying a tax credit framework that closely resembles Obamacare to the entire replacement law, rather than more narrowly targeting assistance to populations who would be disproportionately impacted under the House's age-based system. There are good reasons why many conservatives are objecting that "repeal" utilizes a whole lot of Obamacare's plumbing. Roy goes to cheer the proposal's Medicaid reforms, talking up vastly increased flexibility for states, and explaining why the system is failing so many people as it's currently constituted. He also briefly touches on my number one problem with the Senate bill:

Rest here - https://townhall.com/tipsheet/guyben...esome-n2345326
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)

You misunderstand, goober, it's not the use of the word that bothers me, it's its overuse that annoys me. Not everything is or can be "awesome." Everybody seems to be using the word to describe everything. Its overuse diminishes those things that are, truly, awesome...
    "I am allergic to piety, it makes me break out in rash judgements." - Penn Jillette
    "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with a lot of pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
    "The man who invented the telescope found out more about heaven than the closed eyes of prayer ever discovered." - Robert G. Ingersoll

3. Likes jimnyc liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hjmick View Post
    You misunderstand, goober, it's not the use of the word that bothers me, it's its overuse that annoys me. Not everything is or can be "awesome." Everybody seems to be using the word to describe everything. Its overuse diminishes those things that are, truly, awesome...
    Oh, well you probably have me in mind then anyway! I do use the word often, if not probably too much.
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

If the right-wing media says it's an "awesome bill," then obviously it is.

I would recommend reading it yourself. It's all online. Read it and post what you think of it. No media analysis allowed.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gabosaurus View Post
    If the right-wing media says it's an "awesome bill," then obviously it is.

I would recommend reading it yourself. It's all online. Read it and post what you think of it. No media analysis allowed.
    First off, posting an article about the bill doesn't mean the entire board, or myself, agrees 100% with the writer. Ever think maybe sometimes I post an article just to share things, to see what others think, to see if others would like to post about it?

I have read almost all of it. I think a lot of it is great, and I think some can certainly need improvement. Too late for the media analysis, I've read alike 100 articles today alone!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Haven't read any articles, but I am about two-thirds through the bill. The legislation promises great rewards for wealthy people and drug companies. If you are over 50 and have any type of mental disorder, kiss your insurance goodbye. Or be prepared to pay almost double the premium you pay now.
    Note to military veterans -- the new legislation does not recognize PTSD or any other type of stress disorder. If you want help for that, you pay for it out of your own pocket.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gabosaurus View Post
    Haven't read any articles, but I am about two-thirds through the bill. The legislation promises great rewards for wealthy people and drug companies. If you are over 50 and have any type of mental disorder, kiss your insurance goodbye. Or be prepared to pay almost double the premium you pay now.
    Note to military veterans -- the new legislation does not recognize PTSD or any other type of stress disorder. If you want help for that, you pay for it out of your own pocket.
    Most here aren't going to read the entire thing. It sounds like those are important points to many. Instead of one liners, can you give us links to these specific points?

If not online and you downloaded it, can you show me where you downloaded it, and then which page #'s these things are.

I'll do the leg work from there, but just want to make sure everyone is on the same page.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

The whole thing is online various places. I will need to check my notes to see where it is. I haven't read all of it yet.