Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hagbard Celine View Post
    I feel the need to stand up for Al Gore. I think the guy truly believes that the Earth is in the balance. The thing everybody fails to mention when they're railing against Gore for his large house, SUV, etc., is that he offsets it all. He lives a completely carbon-neutral lifestyle and he does it by planting trees, recycling, using energy-efficient appliances, electronics, etc and by purchasing carbon offsets. The guy walks the walk so I'm tired of hearing all these dim-witted assaults on his character. Gore's a good guy.
    I agree, but get used to it, when they run out of talking points they resort to attacking the person.
    "Unbloodybreakable" DCI Gene Hunt, 2008

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I feel the need to stand up for Al Gore. I think the guy truly believes that the Earth is in the balance. The thing everybody fails to mention when they're railing against Gore for his large house, SUV, etc., is that he offsets it all. He lives a completely carbon-neutral lifestyle and he does it by planting trees, recycling, using energy-efficient appliances, electronics, etc and by purchasing carbon offsets. The guy walks the walk so I'm tired of hearing all these dim-witted assaults on his character. Gore's a good guy.
    I see. I can liter the street by throwing trash out the window of my car and offset it by giving money to a clean up the street group and posting no littering signs. Yeah nothing hypocritical about that.

There is no such thing as carbon-neutral. You either are producing carbon or your not. Planting a tree does not reduce your carbon emissions. gore is just setting up a way for him to make money from investors in his little scheme to play on the global warming issue.
    When I die I'm sure to go to heaven, cause I spent my time in hell.

You get more with a kind word and a two by four, than you do with just a kind word.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

OK, we're at three pages now.

And still not a single peer reviewed scientific paper which claims that anthropogenic global warming is not happening.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gaffer View Post
    I see. I can liter the street by throwing trash out the window of my car and offset it by giving money to a clean up the street group and posting no littering signs. Yeah nothing hypocritical about that.

There is no such thing as carbon-neutral. You either are producing carbon or your not. Planting a tree does not reduce your carbon emissions. gore is just setting up a way for him to make money from investors in his little scheme to play on the global warming issue.
    I find it interesting that this thread has decayed into an argument about peoples' personal lifestyles - yet no one has answered the challenge of citing a single peer reviewed scientific paper claiming that anthropogenic global warming is incorrect. In fact, only one poster in three pages has even attempted to answer this challenge.

Why is that? Is science determined by people's personal habits, and not by the scientific method? What does Al Gore even have to do with the scientific question of global warming? He isn't a scientist, in the end his opinion is irrelevant.

Please now. A single scientific peer reviewed paper which claims anthropogenic warming to be incorrect.

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SpidermanTUba View Post
    OK, we're at three pages now.

And still not a single peer reviewed scientific paper which claims that anthropogenic global warming is not happening.
    Your threshold for proof is stupid. Maybe i should start a thread asking for a Peer-Reviewed paper claiming Santa is fake. Or, perhaps, a Peer-reviewed paper claiming BIGFOOT is a hoax. Yeah! There ya go!

:-/
    “… the greatest detractor from high performance is fear: fear that you are not prepared, fear that you are in over your head, fear that you are not worthy, and ultimately, fear of failure. If you can eliminate that fear—not through arrogance or just wishing difficulties away, but through hard work and preparation—you will put yourself in an incredibly powerful position to take on the challenges you face" - Pete Carroll.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dmp View Post
    Your threshold for proof is stupid. Maybe i should start a thread asking for a Peer-Reviewed paper claiming Santa is fake. Or, perhaps, a Peer-reviewed paper claiming BIGFOOT is a hoax. Yeah! There ya go!

:-/

I'm not asking anyone to prove anything. And I don't see what Santa has to do with this. You seem to be babbling incoherent nonsense.

All I want is a single peer reviewed scientific paper claiming anthropogenic global warming is incorrect.

If you think none exists, then you can say so.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

Yeah, except you're ignoring the fact that 99.999% of all scientists actively involved in climate research do not work for the weather channel. To my knowledge, the Weather Channel doesn't even have an active research department. So you don't really have a point.

If I did the hiring and firing for the Weather Channel, and there was an employee who was claiming anthropogenic global warming wasn't correct, I would ask them to produce a single peer reviewed scientific paper claiming that it isn't correct.
    Oh, I see, you are a literalist. Let's try it this way: the Weather Channel was a high-profile example of the pressure on scientists to conform to the current thinking on global warming. I am willing to bet that in the uber-liberal atmosphere of academia, the pressure to jump on the g.w. band-wagon is many times greater.

So, it looks like I do have a point.
    Last edited by Abbey Marie; 08-08-2007 at 12:00 PM.
    After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box - Author unknown

“Unfortunately, the truth is now whatever the media say it is”
    -Abbey

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

It also would appear that being carbon-neutral is quite expensive. Why not forego the wealthy lifestyle in the first place and give that money to the poor, plant trees, etc.? Seems like a much more efficient and compassionate way of being less of an energy guzzler, than buying away your guilt over a very spoiled lifestyle. Call it offsets all they want, it's still "I GOT MINE". Very hypocritical.

-Abbey

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I disagree. Gore isn't "littering the streets." And there is such a thing as carbon neutral, you've just apparently decided to ignore it. Trees "breathe" carbon dioxide and turn it into oxygen if you didn't know, so planting trees can in fact reduce or reverse the amount of carbon you expel by driving your car, leaving your a/c running, etc.

I've got to just laugh at the conspiracy theory you've revealed here. So let me get this straight: Gore concocted this whole debate so that he could get rich off people buying and planting trees? C'mon Gunny, you're starting to make me worry about your mental health.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaffer
    Science wants to explain things and understand why they happen. Creationists want to use science to justify their own causes.

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

I'm not asking anyone to prove anything. And I don't see what Santa has to do with this. You seem to be babbling incoherent nonsense.

All I want is a single peer reviewed scientific paper claiming anthropogenic global warming is incorrect.

If you think none exists, then you can say so.
    And I'd like a single peer reviewed scientific paper claiming Santa is Fake. If none exists then you can just say so.

See? Your 'challenge' means nothing.
    “… the greatest detractor from high performance is fear: fear that you are not prepared, fear that you are in over your head, fear that you are not worthy, and ultimately, fear of failure. If you can eliminate that fear—not through arrogance or just wishing difficulties away, but through hard work and preparation—you will put yourself in an incredibly powerful position to take on the challenges you face" - Pete Carroll.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dmp View Post
    And I'd like a single peer reviewed scientific paper claiming Santa is Fake. If none exists then you can just say so.

See? Your 'challenge' means nothing.
    "Unbloodybreakable" DCI Gene Hunt, 2008

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by diuretic View Post
    Keep on lightening up the mood of the board. We need it!
    Last edited by Abbey Marie; 08-08-2007 at 03:09 PM.

-Abbey

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I disagree. Gore isn't "littering the streets." And there is such a thing as carbon neutral, you've just apparently decided to ignore it. Trees "breathe" carbon dioxide and turn it into oxygen if you didn't know, so planting trees can in fact reduce or reverse the amount of carbon you expel by driving your car, leaving your a/c running, etc.

I've got to just laugh at the conspiracy theory you've revealed here. So let me get this straight: Gore concocted this whole debate so that he could get rich off people buying and planting trees? C'mon Gunny, you're starting to make me worry about your mental health.
    Yes trees give off oxygen, through their leaves, except at night and in the winter. Like I said throwing out trash on the road is acceptable as long as you adopt a highway. How many trees will it take to offset algores monthly use of just electricity?

There is no conspiracy. gore has a company that sells energy credits to people who waste a lot of energy and want to ease their conscience. All they have to do is invest in his little scam. If he truly believed in what he was preaching he would drastically change his life style. But its like expecting bin laden to strap on a suicide vest and blow up a market place. It ain't gonna happen.
    When I die I'm sure to go to heaven, cause I spent my time in hell.

You get more with a kind word and a two by four, than you do with just a kind word.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes trees give off oxygen, through their leaves, except at night and in the winter. Like I said throwing out trash on the road is acceptable as long as you adopt a highway. How many trees will it take to offset algores monthly use of just electricity?

There is no conspiracy. gore has a company that sells energy credits to people who waste a lot of energy and want to ease their conscience. All they have to do is invest in his little scam. If he truly believed in what he was preaching he would drastically change his life style. But its like expecting bin laden to strap on a suicide vest and blow up a market place. It ain't gonna happen.
    You're right, planting trees and spreading awareness about the environment is just like extreme Islam.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaffer
    Science wants to explain things and understand why they happen. Creationists want to use science to justify their own causes.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I would like to see a reference to a single peer reviewed scientific journal paper which claims that anthropogenic global warming is false.

I don't think there is really any serious way to either prove or disprove "anthropogenic" global warming. Leaving out the "anthropogenic", we already know that the Earth's temperature used to be much warmer than it is today, then went into an Ice Age which ended 10,000 years ago. Ever since then the Earth has been warming up. Since there is no dispute that the Earth has been naturally warming up for the last 10,000 years, there is virtually no way to tell the degree at which our pollution today is effecting the Earth. Even if it was, it might just be speeding up an already natural process. But so many factors determine the Earth's weather and temperature that in order to prove "anthropogenic global warming" you'd have to prove that all of those other factors are not increasing the global temperature, and that the small percentage increase of CO2 is increasing it.
    PRAIRIE FIRE by William Ayers: Obama's guide to destory America
    "Maybe I missed that part of the Constitution"--Joe Steel
    You can't spell Liberals without Lies.