Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)

Default The Struggle And Its Cause- True Poetry vs. Free Verse

Subject - Modern poetry publishers systematically reject poetry written in rhyme. Why?
    Why do they favor and promote free verse over the vast body and genius of classic poetry?-Tyr

You Can Quote Me on That
    March 26, 2012

Throughout my life I have collected quotes. If something gives me pause when I read it, I take note. Over the years, the list has grown considerably long. It’s not so much a formal list as it lives in my head, to be recalled when I need to make a point about a particular issue. If judged by how often I use them, it is pretty obvious I have my favorites.

I’ve even posted to this blog about the use and misuse of quotes, you can read it here. The point is people say some incredibly witty and pithy things, well worth repeating. I guess that’s why books of quotes have always been popular. Here are a few of my favorite quotes:

Regarding time, I like to quote Albert Einstein. Late in his life he was asked by a reporter about his Special Theory of Relativity, this is the E=mc2 one, a subject Einstein was weary of talking about as the paper was published some 50 years earlier, he explained it this way: “Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. THAT’S relativity.” As funny at the quote is, in the end it does explain Relativity. As I get older, it grows more and more relative.
    It is no secret I am not the biggest fan for free-verse poetry. I have often quoted Robert Frost on the subject. In a speech he stated “Writing free verse is like playing tennis with the net down.” At first, it might seem that he is kicking free-verse to the curb. In reality, what he is saying is the rules add to the game. Imagine how boring tennis would be without the net to add a level of difficulty. It is the same for poetry, the rules and structure add to the outcome. In both tennis and poetry, you remove the net and it is up to the players alone to be exciting.
    When it comes to national responsibility, I’ve quoted Stephen Crane. In case you do not remember, Stephen wrote the Red Badge of Courage. It is and epic poem of his I quote though –War is Kind. Of course, his point is war is anything but kind. Here is the quote I use:

A man said to the universe:
    “Sir I exist!”
    “However,” replied the universe,
    “The fact has not created in me
    A sense of obligation.”

This quote is like a slap in the face when you first read it. It is harsh and uncaring, but it is true. We are no more obligated to do a thing or care about something than the universe is. It is a choice we make. We choose to take action or to not take action. It is an individual sense of morality that dictates the choice, regardless if the choice is good or bad.

Of course, I have often pointed out we are a nation of individuals but it is our commonality that joins us. As Voltaire put it “it is through our mutual needs that we are useful to the human race.” In other words, it is through our mutual needs we put an obligation on ourselves Mr. Crain’s universe did not.

OK, so there are just a few of the quotes I often use. I like to use quotes but I have a fear most do not understand the frame of reference and that leads to misunderstanding. It sort of defeats the whole purpose of quoting in the first place. That point opens the door for a completely different subject, do I Are they the same?

Give some thought to the quotes you use, even if you only use them mentally to yourself. Quotes are like little metaphors we use to help explain the world. On that note, I could not help but end this with a quote of my own to warn about understand a quote before its use, it is from a poem of mine called Testing Water:

So think about your actions
    long before you make that jump
    be sure you test the waters
    and avoid that painful thump.

It is no secret I am not the biggest fan for free-verse poetry. I have often quoted Robert Frost on the subject. In a speech he stated “Writing free verse is like playing tennis with the net down.” At first, it might seem that he is kicking free-verse to the curb. In reality, what he is saying is the rules add to the game. Imagine how boring tennis would be without the net to add a level of difficulty. It is the same for poetry, the rules and structure add to the outcome. In both tennis and poetry, you remove the net and it is up to the players alone to be exciting.
    When it comes to national responsibility, I’ve quoted Stephen Crane. In case you do not remember, Stephen wrote the Red Badge of Courage. It is and epic poem of his I quote though –War is Kind. Of course, his point is war is anything but kind. Here is the quote I use:

A man said to the universe:
    “Sir I exist!”
    “However,” replied the universe,
    “The fact has not created in me
    A sense of obligation."
    As is evident in how modern publishers will not even consider for publishing, today's poets submitting poetry written in rhyme/classic form.
    They seem to favor free verse because it can draw a much larger body of writers and readership due to its basic simplicity, simpler easier form and the acknowledge reality of the poorer education of the masses. Comment made in regards primarily addressing the extremely poor and corrupted public education system in America.-Tyr
    Last edited by Tyr-Ziu Saxnot; 07-01-2017 at 09:40 AM.
    18 U.S. Code § 2381-Treason Whoever, owing allegiance to the United States, levies war against them or adheres to their enemies, giving them aid and comfort within the United States or elsewhere, is guilty of treason and shall suffer death, or shall be imprisoned not less than five years and fined under this title but not less than $10,000; and shall be incapable of holding any office under the United States.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)

My poetic reply to those telling other poets that believe in classic poetry to just shut up and let free-verse rule.
    Although the title of that new -- free verse- poem is - ShutUp, and it addresses an entire different issue-the inspiration from reading it gave rise to my new poem..
    One addressing the poetry elites, -the modern publishers- and their arrogance, stupidity and greed in attempting to destroy the foundation in order to expand the paying base and their own incomes. -Tyr

SpeakUp

... clouds of loud silence
    imagined lion roars
    smooth sailing on stony paths
    confusing simplicity soars

petulant child cries
    rain dries ancient grounds
    mommy changes diaper
    to baby's cooing sounds

burn decaying leaves
    eat smoke and sate
    nail tender hands and feet
    relish new food ate

record chaotic echoes
    cry for admiring applause
    tables falsely set
    destroy to expand lesser cause

Robert J. Lindley,7-01-2017

Copyright © Robert Lindley | Year Posted 2017
    Last edited by Tyr-Ziu Saxnot; 07-01-2017 at 12:52 PM.
    18 U.S. Code § 2381-Treason Whoever, owing allegiance to the United States, levies war against them or adheres to their enemies, giving them aid and comfort within the United States or elsewhere, is guilty of treason and shall suffer death, or shall be imprisoned not less than five years and fined under this title but not less than $10,000; and shall be incapable of holding any office under the United States.