Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Default Face to face, not face to phone. Cell phones will increase our destructive hive livin

Face to face, not face to phone. Cell phones will increase our destructive hive living natures.

Cell phones are killing our social skills. The cell phone is one of the rudest pieces of technology ever developed in our modern times. To see a family of four sitting at a dinner table and all four members are texting and avoiding the bonding that should be taking place, instead of the silence that occurs; is one of society’s greatest failures. Friends are out for a night on the town and everyone has their phone out, texting and not having meaningful conversations that would be more rewarding. We cannot speak in complete sentences without the use of acronyms and do not look at others directly in their eyes while speaking to them. This society is losing the art of pure communication.

We are mammals, but we are making ourselves into that less favorable condition of hive living creatures.

Are cell phones controlling our way of life?

I say yes.

Regards
    DL

2. Thanks Abbey Marie thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)

That depends on if you allow kids to sit around on their cell phones. We don't allow our kids to use their phones at the table.
    Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

4. Thanks Abbey Marie, darin thanked this post
    Likes SMTA liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NightTrain View Post
    That depends on if you allow kids to sit around on their cell phones. We don't allow our kids to use their phones at the table.
    I am sure that many do as you do. There are varying gaps in our phones controlling us. The big picture is still us becoming more hivish and reducing our social skills. We will lose our humanity.

Note the self driving cars to carry the hive units around.

Regards
    DL

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gnostic Christian Bishop View Post
    Face to face, not face to phone. Cell phones will increase our destructive hive living natures.

Cell phones are killing our social skills. The cell phone is one of the rudest pieces of technology ever developed in our modern times. To see a family of four sitting at a dinner table and all four members are texting and avoiding the bonding that should be taking place, instead of the silence that occurs; is one of society’s greatest failures. Friends are out for a night on the town and everyone has their phone out, texting and not having meaningful conversations that would be more rewarding. We cannot speak in complete sentences without the use of acronyms and do not look at others directly in their eyes while speaking to them. This society is losing the art of pure communication.

We are mammals, but we are making ourselves into that less favorable condition of hive living creatures.

I say yes.

Regards
    DL
    Finally a post with which I can agree. I am amazed at how often I see people at a restaurant doing this. It is especially sad when I see a mom or dad on their phone ignoring their little ones. What a pathetic example to set.
    After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box - Author unknown

“Unfortunately, the truth is now whatever the media say it is”
    -Abbey

7. Thanks Gnostic Christian Bishop thanked this post
    Likes SMTA liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Abbey View Post
    Finally a post with which I can agree. I am amazed at how often I see people at a restaurant doing this. It is especially sad when I see a mom or dad on their phone ignoring their little ones. What a pathetic example to set.
    I agree that there are few agree posts.

It seems that the furthest toward the ends of the political or religious graph one gets, the less agreement can be found.

All a part of the 80/20 rule I guess.

Great that you agree. Great minds think alike.

Regards
    DL

9. Thanks Abbey Marie thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

I agree that there are few agree posts.

It seems that the furthest toward the ends of the political or religious graph one gets, the less agreement can be found.

All a part of the 80/20 rule I guess.

Great that you agree. Great minds think alike.

Regards
    DL
    Agree again!
    After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box - Author unknown

“Unfortunately, the truth is now whatever the media say it is”
    -Abbey

11. Thanks Gnostic Christian Bishop thanked this post
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

...pretty much...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Abbey View Post
    ...and in the checkout lane at a grocery store...walking along the street with face planted into a screen,
    not paying attention to traffic, obsticales, or other people...riding a bicycle in traffic!
    I have lost my mind. If found, please give it a snack and return it?

"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same of others"...John Wayne in "The Shootist"

A Deplorable!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I say yes.

Regards
    DL
    I have never heard people speaking using uncommon or excessive acronyms.
    Acronyms are written generally not spoken.
    Poor social skills began when the internet superseded personal communication.
    The issue is that most folks will write anonymously what they would never say in person.
    Poor parenting in allowing electronics and electronic mediums to raise children is the biggest issue.
    Proper social skills come from the immediate family, specifically parents, and older siblings.
    Proper education, and higher education does not hurt, either.
    Last edited by SMTA; 07-16-2017 at 06:39 PM.

15. Thanks Abbey Marie thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Elessar View Post
    ...and in the checkout lane at a grocery store...walking along the street with face planted into a screen,
    not paying attention to traffic, obsticales, or other people...riding a bicycle in traffic!
    I refuse to disrespect a cashier by talking on my phone while checking out.
    Besides, how can those chatty morons check that the right prices that are being scanned!?
    Last edited by SMTA; 07-16-2017 at 06:43 PM.

17. Thanks Abbey Marie thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Default For this one...I totally agree.

I also believe our children, and even young adults today, are so addicted to having a phone to their ear, or TEXTING while walking, driving, sitting, eating...almost all the time; We have become those PHONE Zombies in many ways.
    Face to face conversations with many of the younger people I have met, has almost become a major challenge for them. They do not have time to LOOK up, or into anyone's eyes long enough to learn how to communicate...WITHOUT AN ELECTRONIC device.

Can't say that applies to the majority, but...it's getting pretty close to that, and GOD FORBID....we ever have a major ELECTRONIC OUTAGE across this nation.
    The suicide rates for TWEETERS will be unpredictable.
    I love to make Liberals Cry, and Whine.
    So, this is for them.
    GOD BLESS AMERICA - IN GOD WE TRUST !

19. Thanks Gnostic Christian Bishop thanked this post
    Likes Gnostic Christian Bishop liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SMTA View Post
    I have never heard people speaking using uncommon or excessive acronyms.
    Acronyms are written generally not spoken.
    Poor social skills began when the internet superseded personal communication.
    The issue is that most folks will write anonymously what they would never say in person.
    Poor parenting in allowing electronics and electronic mediums to raise children is the biggest issue.
    Proper social skills come from the immediate family, specifically parents, and older siblings.
    Proper education, and higher education does not hurt, either.
    It goes back of the beginning of the net for sure.

With 50% of all U.S. hose holds now manned by singe women, it is easy to see our parenting kill going way down.

Regards
    DL
    Last edited by Gnostic Christian Bishop; 07-23-2017 at 06:01 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)

'Gnostic', well done ... you've posted something of value here.

My view (should you be interested ?) is that this is a matter that demands a balance be struck in considering it. The balance lies in teaching our generations to strike the proper balance in using the technology. Cell phones (we call them 'mobiles' or 'mobile phones') are a useful tool, there's no valid argument at all which says we should stop using them ... just use them responsibly. Simply that.

Lifestyles are governed by our choice of what we want. To allow current technology to 'rule' us, to take over our inter-actional habits .. this is, and always has been, a choice. The remedy to any perceived ills regarding it is to just change that choice. Mobile phones are inanimate objects ... we use them according to our need to.

You could argue a form of parity between this subject and gun ownership, it seems to me. A person can own a gun, and yet never once actually use it. Equally, usage of a mobile phone is entirely governed by choice as to how, when, if, you DO use it. Where the balance is struck in using it is down to choice, not compulsion .. it seems to me.
    It's That Bloody Foreigner Again !!!

22. Thanks Gnostic Christian Bishop thanked this post
    Likes Gnostic Christian Bishop liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Drummond View Post
    'Gnostic', well done ... you've posted something of value here.

My view (should you be interested ?) is that this is a matter that demands a balance be struck in considering it. The balance lies in teaching our generations to strike the proper balance in using the technology. Cell phones (we call them 'mobiles' or 'mobile phones') are a useful tool, there's no valid argument at all which says we should stop using them ... just use them responsibly. Simply that.

Lifestyles are governed by our choice of what we want. To allow current technology to 'rule' us, to take over our inter-actional habits .. this is, and always has been, a choice. The remedy to any perceived ills regarding it is to just change that choice. Mobile phones are inanimate objects ... we use them according to our need to.

You could argue a form of parity between this subject and gun ownership, it seems to me. A person can own a gun, and yet never once actually use it. Equally, usage of a mobile phone is entirely governed by choice as to how, when, if, you DO use it. Where the balance is struck in using it is down to choice, not compulsion .. it seems to me.
    A good reply, but I cannot agree with your last as I see peer pressure and compulsion at work with children and even adults trying to out-buy each other with technology.

Children do have choices to make the same as adults but how many will keep their phones off?

Not many I suspect.

Regards
    DL

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

saw this - thought of this thread - which I've also just moved to the lounge.